Basic 6 inch target

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
PSDKevin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Basic 6 inch target

Post by PSDKevin »

I made these targets out of 3/8" AR 500 for a sniper course at work. The holes are sized for 1/2" carriage bolts.

6x6 targets v3.zip

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Basic 6 inch target

Post by cuttinparts »

Love the targets, thanks for sharing :Like

Do you use carriage bolts to attach these plates to a swinging arm or something?
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

Thanks for the share.
I went to a gun show this past weekend and saw some decent targets. They were cheaper that I thought they would be too. If you don't mind me asking, about how much do you pay for a sheet of the 3/8" x 48" x 96" plate?
cguethert
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cguethert »

I have a job coming up using some ar500. Just wondering if you had any issues cutting that grade? Did you use regular 3/8 settings or have to take it to 1/2 or 5/8 settings?
PSDKevin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PSDKevin »

ETCWeld wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm Thanks for the share.
I went to a gun show this past weekend and saw some decent targets. They were cheaper that I thought they would be too. If you don't mind me asking, about how much do you pay for a sheet of the 3/8" x 48" x 96" plate?
I did it for work. They paid for it. I haven't priced it in a long time, but if I remember correctly it was nearly not worth making them yourself unless you find a good steel supplier.
PSDKevin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PSDKevin »

cguethert wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:41 am I have a job coming up using some ar500. Just wondering if you had any issues cutting that grade? Did you use regular 3/8 settings or have to take it to 1/2 or 5/8 settings?
I used normal settings. I could be wrong but the plasma cutter doesn't know the difference in this or mild. It seems to cut and weld the same. This is just with the limited experience I have with it.
ETCWeld
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by ETCWeld »

PSDKevin wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 am
ETCWeld wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm Thanks for the share.
I did it for work. They paid for it. I haven't priced it in a long time, but if I remember correctly it was nearly not worth making them yourself unless you find a good steel supplier.
Thanks.
I asked for a ball park price today an my sales lady said it is about double the cost of A36. I passed on it. As little as i would need, its just not worth it for me.
PPD
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PPD »

Unless you're making them for yourself or have one hell of a supplier price, it's not worth your time. I have no idea how the people selling them online make any money. They are selling them shipped to you door for the same price if not cheaper than I can almost buy the metal for, crazy.
CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

x2 on it being hard to find small supplies of AR 500. I use Industrial Metal Supply in SoCal for most of my material and their AR sheets come in 8'x20' or 24' lengths. It is around $175 fee for them to set a plate on their plasma table and make a single cut. My price on the material didn't seem bad, but to make it worthwhile, I would need to order the equivalent of a 4x8 sheet. For the few possible jobs I may have had and my own use for personal targets, I didn't move forward. The lack of a forklift or gantry to move large chunks and limited storage space also makes it less than ideal to buy from my supplier.

For a couple small targets, I bought a torso sized 1/2" AR 500 plate and cut them from it. The book settings for the hypertherm 65 worked fine and it was no different than cutting mild steel plate. The price of that big target wasn't much more than buying mild steel.

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”