Somewhat Geo Spider Web

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Somewhat Geo Spider Web

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:23 pm In any case, I think this is a much easier task for those fortunate enough to be using Design Edge - very powerful editing tool - which last time I checked can be purchased directly from Plasmacam as a stand-alone program for around $3k including advanced design.
David
That is interesting. I thought PlasmaCam stopped selling DesignEdge independent of the tables a few years ago. I guess I am wr .... wro ... not exactly right. :lol: It may have been a policy change at some point, that they later abandoned? I don't know.

With all of the shortcomings of DesignEdge, I still think it is far superior to anything else out there when it comes to text and array manipulation, and the overall speed of creating designs, and cut ready files.

A man who owns a Samson 510 table for many years recently contacted me. He had allowed too much time to pass, and he needed some sort of farm implement accessory for his ??? dirt digger thing he drags behind his tractor ASAP. I don't know what he calls it. Anyway, he offered to pay me to draw up the design based on his pencil sketch. He sent me the drawing, and it only took me about 15 minutes to produce the cut file with two variations for him to try. I'm not going to accept money for something so simple.

I sent the file to him, and I am waiting to hear if it worked, or if it needs some tweaking. He said he used to use DesignEdge to draw, but it has been too long, and he did not have time to go through the learning curve again, to produce this part (18 of them in all) in time to use it for his current crop harvest. I am anxious to see a photo of it on his machine.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I like to think that whatever a person is used to is what works best for him. Design edge may or may not be the ultimate design tool ever designed by man, I think any decent CAD program can take pencil sketch drawing to a file if the operator knows his ropes. Kind of off in the weeds IMO, I like the OP gusset tho!
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cutnweld wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:12 pm I like to think that whatever a person is used to is what works best for him. Design edge may or may not be the ultimate design tool ever designed by man, I think any decent CAD program can take pencil sketch drawing to a file if the operator knows his ropes. Kind of off in the weeds IMO, I like the OP gusset tho!
You are certainly right about that. If one is adept at a software package, that in itself brings SPEED into the equation.

DesignEdge is NOT a 3D program, although they have something called a "FULL 3D Upgrade." Truthfully, it is 2-1/2 D, and it is not at all intuitive. Google SketchUp is FAR more 3D capable.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Agreed! The learning curve for Design Edge, in my opinion, is pretty steep. But not any steeper than learning to use Fusion 360, VCarve Pro, or any of the others. When I first started with Design Edge, I didn't have a clue how to use it efficiently and basically drew up my parts with AutoCAD and imported them to Design Edge to create my cut paths. But as time went on and I studied the Video Manual along with some of the information I gleaned from the Plasmacam Owner's Group Community Forum - I eventually became much more proficient using it.

So now I think it the "greatest thing since sliced bread" - so to speak. But it is expensive to purchase, and the only reason I have it is because it came with my Plasmacam DHC2 cutting table.

David
TXBluegrass
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TXBluegrass »

Hey Joe, just saw your video on how to draw up the quad spiderweb geometrically after watching your 3 videos on arraying the stars on the flags and how to change their shapes. Very awesome videos. Thanks for being easy on me and and not critical. I'm still learning and had no idea of what all array can do. Your videos will save me a lot of time in the future and look forward to watching your other videos when I get a chance.
TXBluegrass

Post by TXBluegrass »

Oh... and thanks for all the responses and feedback from the other members of this forum. You folks obviously care about the work that you do and it shows that you are willing to share it with others so they can improve. Thanks again.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

TXBluegrass wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm Hey Joe, just saw your video on how to draw up the quad spiderweb geometrically...
Did I make a video on that? :roll: I SWEAR I had a memory once, a long time ago. :lol: Now I will have to go find it and watch it!
after watching your 3 videos on arraying the stars on the flags and how to change their shapes. Very awesome videos. Thanks for being easy on me and and not critical.
There is nothing to criticize. It is a great design! I am just "OCD Enough" to notice small imperfections that drive me crazy. It is like a huge 1" hexagonal black and white tile floor. If just ONE tile is the wrong color, I spot it immediately!
I'm still learning and had no idea of what all array can do. Your videos will save me a lot of time in the future and look forward to watching your other videos when I get a chance.
Am I to assume from your response, that you use DesignEdge? I do free online training, you know!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - TXBluegrass is using Design Edge. Both designs are very nice.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:49 pm Yes - TXBluegrass is using Design Edge. Both designs are very nice.
David
His version is 100% fine. My OCD is a constant struggle :Wow

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”