U.S. Flag & Pole DXF

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

U.S. Flag & Pole DXF

Post by Joe Jones »

I like the design. However the flat star field conflicts with the curved fabric of the flag.

I have drawn my version of this, making the correction. I am uploading the file for you to view and critique :roll:

I have also made a video showing how to do this.

Joe

MASTER STAR FIELD.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Joe Jones on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

U.S. Flag & Pole DXF

Post by Joe Jones »

On the same topic, I made a second video to explain the process of placing a flat shape onto a curved design.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

U.S. Flag & Pole DXF

Post by Joe Jones »

and a third video as well.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

U.S. Flag & Pole DXF

Post by adbuch »

It is unfortunate, but not too many Design Edge users here. So great stuff for the Plasmacam owners who might be interested, but most would like to see this using Inkscape, or maybe Fusion 360. Keep up the good work!
David
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: U.S. Flag & Pole DXF

Post by sonbakler »

Great videos Joe, thank you very much!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sonbakler wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:35 am Great videos Joe, thank you very much!
:Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 am
... but most would like to see this using Inkscape, or maybe Fusion 360. Keep up the good work!
David
Well ... get to work! :mrgreen:

I know almost nothing about either of those two programs. I apologize for forgetting about the handicapped masses out there. :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Another way to do basically the same thing.

Joe

http://youtu.be/nibHGr61z2Q
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Tw more flags I drew tonight. Feel free to cut them and paint or powder coat them as you desire.

Joe

US FLAG.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Awesome Joe! Love the 2 new variations, not easy to design, well done :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:45 am Awesome Joe! Love the 2 new variations, not easy to design, well done :Like :Like
Thanks, but the whole point of this thread is that it IS easy to draw. The OP seems to have removed his original post. :roll: I was NOT trying to dis his work. I simply pointed out that if a flag is cut as a curved sheet of material (in appearance) then the field of stars should ALSO reflect the curvature just as the stripes do.

CDC Design Shop does a lot of nice work! His (or her? :-? ) files are crisp and clean, and creative! It is very generous of him to share a free file each week, to give the group something new to play with! There is nothing wrong with building a library of art files that can be cut, mirrored, and altered to meet one's needs. It is just that the flat, rectangular star field on the original flag file he uploaded hit me in the eye, so I demonstrated a way to correct the file for a better overall presentation, by bending the stars to lay on the curved Union.

I am GUESSING that CDC Design Shop does not use DesignEdge. I don't know what software he uses, and I do not know what his level of skill is in creating original art files. Maybe he creates them using something like Vector Q on an iPad. Or he might have a really neat set up using a pen tablet, or even a pro level touch screen monitor.

David has correctly pointed out that this forum is mostly comprised of people who do not have DesignEdge. I keep forgetting that there are other programs out there. Silly me! I guess I am spoiled, because I cannot imagine needing to use two or three programs to get a design from a concept to a cut piece. With all of its flaws, and DesignEdge has MANY flaws ... it is still the best option IMHO, given that you can design something, and cut it on the table in one single process.

The Owners Community Forum (a forum for PlasmaCam owners only) is basically DEAD. PlasmaCam owners do not seem to use it or visit it much, and new posts on that forum are RARE.

I don't "do" Facebook. (insert grumbling political rant here :lol: ) I have searched for any other place where the PlasmaCam folks congregate, without success. So I just assume, perhaps incorrectly, that they come HERE to the biggest CNC Plasma Forum on the Net.

Anyway, these videos and various files are more just me forcing myself to work with the software on a daily basis. My memory is really, REALLY bad. If I walk away from any software for three months or so, I will come back to it AS IF I had never seen it before. I know that sounds impossible, but that is just a fact. I only achieve retention with frequent repetition. :Sad

If anyone can point me to a forum where "The odd ducks of the CNC plasma cutting community" (read: PlasmaCam owners) hang out that is NOT Facebook, I'll be glad to jump onto that forum and leave you G-Code junkies behind. :lol:

I just cannot imagine using drawing software that DOESN'T have the capabilities of DesignEdge. It must be a real struggle for you guys.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

Hey Joe, thanks for vids and instruction. Just wanted to clarify that we took down the original post not the OP. The weekly free DXF posts are removed every week when a new design is posted at the request of CNCDesignShop. I didn't want your videos and files going missing with it so I split the topic and was able to leave your helpful vids here in its own topic :Like :Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 am It is unfortunate, but not too many Design Edge users here. So great stuff for the Plasmacam owners who might be interested, but most would like to see this using Inkscape, or maybe Fusion 360. Keep up the good work!
David
I have to assume that the other programs have similar capabilities. For example, Photoshop have a feature that can take a flat image and change it to appear at an angle, or on a curved surface. I think they call it "skew" I seem to remember that Google SketchUp also offers something like this, but only with line drawn shapes, and not JPG images, etc. Their newer PAID versions might now have those capabilities.

You are correct, David. People who do not have DesignEdge are at a clear disadvantage when it comes to the easy manipulation of vector files. DesignEdge runs circles around the other programs, and its greatest feature is how EASY it is to manipulate TEXT. I haven't seen any other program that even comes close.

I suppose AutoCAD has that level of control, but although I once took a community college course in AutoCAD, and I have AutoCAD on my PC here, I haven't used the program in YEARS, so when I open it, it is all fresh and new to me again. It is so weird. It is as if I have sat down on the first night of the class all over again. The program is completely foreign to me now. I can do almost nothing with AutoCAD now.

I earned an 'A' in the class and in fact, the instructor was so impressed with my ability to pick up AutoCAD that he convinced me to get into SolidWORKS, which is a 3D rendering program. Well, I spent the umpteen thousands of dollars on SolidWORKS, but it sits on my PC, unused. :Sad I have gone into the program a few times, but something always pulls me away before I get though many of the training lessons they offer. Then, when I return to it later, the memory has been wiped clean, and I have to start all over again. I sure would like to learn the program, and then buy a spiffy 3D printer.

I sure wish I could slap people out of their zombie-like addiction to Facebook. There are other social media sites that work the same way, but do not use "fact checkers" and oppressive censorship to dictate the narrative. Have you ever heard of MeWe? Did you know there is a PlasmaCam group on MeWe? NOTHING happens there. All of the Facebook zombies are too scared to leave. They might miss a funny cat meme, or a silly video. But people stay with Facebook with a cultish devotion. I will hand it to Zuckerberg. He created a "drug" much stronger and more addictive than heroin.

Joe

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Pspider Support wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:40 pm Hey Joe, thanks for vids and instruction. Just wanted to clarify that we took down the original post not the OP. The weekly free DXF posts are removed every week when a new design is posted at the request of CNCDesignShop. I didn't want your videos and files going missing with it so I split the topic and was able to leave your helpful vids here in its own topic :Like :Like
Okay. I was HOPING I had not stepped on his toes, or made him feel bad. That was not the intention of my replies.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jack of all trades
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jack of all trades »

A lot of us just linger in the back ground on this, and the owners forum. I own two dhc2's one with everything but metric, and the pipe cutter. The other with basic that I purchased used, and transferred ownership. I converted 2 designs when I first started, never received a response, so I figured why do it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jack of all trades wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:00 am A lot of us just linger in the back ground on this, and the owners forum. I own two dhc2's one with everything but metric, and the pipe cutter. The other with basic that I purchased used, and transferred ownership. I converted 2 designs when I first started, never received a response, so I figured why do it.
So you mean that you converted member supplied images to dxf for the OP, or are you saying you converted and shared some files and had no response?
I suppose I could check out your previous posts to find out.
David
Jack of all trades

Converted to dxf.
Jack of all trades

Spent hours back then, and just figured I had wasted my time.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jack of all trades wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:37 am Spent hours back then, and just figured I had wasted my time.
Hmmm ... I understand the frustration. However, everything you do with DesignEdge is a learning process. Your current skill level with the software is due in part, to the time you spent doing those conversions.

I teach DesignEdge for free via ZOOM. Lots of people use it, but what I have learned is that too many people take 30 steps to do something that can be done in five steps. They are not fluent in the software. They just "get by." I try to help people think outside of the box, to learn better, faster, and more efficient ways to do things. When you really KNOW DesignEdge, the software is actually FUN to use.

Never think your contributions to any plasma forum are a waste of time. The "lurkers" benefit from your efforts, and they learn. They may not have been raised by parents that force you to send out Thank You Notes at Christmas time, but they DO learn and benefit from your efforts.

This Twitter / Facebook world has destroyed interpersonal interactions among people. You are lucky to get a LOL! or a few " :Like :Like :Like " for a response. People just don't communicate, in a world that provides every possible MEANS to communicate!

Yes, my posts are often long, but I respect the person(s) I am addressing, and I believe they deserve MORE than a glib two-second response.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jack of all trades

I agree six years later I no longer want to throw it outside, and run it over with the backhoe lol. I appreciate all of your videos, and occasionally learn something new.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jack of all trades wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:57 am I agree six years later I no longer want to throw it outside, and run it over with the backhoe lol. I appreciate all of your videos, and occasionally learn something new.
Words from actual PlasmaCam owners who were initially frustrated with the PlasmaCam ... UNTIL they learn how to use it!

"I was ready to ..."

"throw it outside"
"run it over with the backhoe"
"push it to the curb."
"shove it off of the loading dock."
"Donate it to a school and take the tax write off."
"ship it back to PlasmaCam with a letter from my attorney."
"shove it into the corner and consider it wasted money."
"give it to my worst enemy."
"sell it AS-IS and lick my wounds."
"Kick myself for ever buying the ^%&* thing!"
"trade it in on a (insert any other manufacturer's name here)"

"I just ..."
"Didn't know what I got myself into."
"regret ever learning about their tables."
"didn't do my homework."
"fell for the fancy DVD sales pitch."
"Didn't ask enough questions."

"I had NO IDEA what else I would need to purchase in order to use this thing."
"They never told me that I'd have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on software upgrades to do everything!"
"There was NO MENTION of added costs associated with all of the stuff the DVD shows the table can do."

Thank you for your contributions. I am collecting the whole set! :lol:

Of course, once these owners either take Robert's class, or have me train them on how to actually "Make Money In Metal Art!" or they struggle through the learning process on their own, they THEN realize that the source of the frustration was that %&$%* DEMO DVD that leads people to believe that they can actually assemble the table at home and start cutting and selling metal art 20 minutes later! :lol:

I hear it all the time. But to be FAIR to PlasmaCam, once the owners receive some REAL TRAINING on the software and the table operation, they (mostly all) say they love them!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jack of all trades

Totally agree, six years ago it was a secret society. Thanks to this forum now people can research more. I now tell everyone that asks, it is a cad cam program that you can design like autocad or design in paint. They just had poor marketing information. Also once you ground your computer power supply to the controller, you no longer pull your hair out with communication issues.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jack of all trades wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:04 am Totally agree, six years ago it was a secret society.
I still have the hat! :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jack of all trades wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:04 am Also once you ground your computer power supply to the controller, you no longer pull your hair out with communication issues.
Lately, I am getting a lot of calls about how the controller and the PC are constantly having communication issues. At first, I did not know what it was. but by asking a lot of questions, I discovered that people were installing those new and INCREDIBLY CHEAP CHINESE L.E.D. shop lights over their tables and their PCs.

Once I learned this, when someone calls me about communication issues, the very FIRST thing I ask is, "Did you recently add LED Lighting to the work area, or over your PC?" The answer is almost always, "Yes! I got them at (Harbor Freight/Ole's/Northern Tool/Home Depot/Lowe's/etc.) !"

I tell people to TURN OFF the LED lights and test the table, and nearly always, the communication issues are resolved. Those cheap CHINESE LED lights SCREAM RF noise! They screw up the communication between the PC and the Controller, by pumping signals into the mix via the parallel cable.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jack of all trades

I tried cutting with no lights on, didn't help. Ran a ground wire to computer(also on a ups) and problem solved. Last year I built a new computer(right before a show), grounded to the case cover, and nothing but problems. Then I moved grounding wire to power supply mounting screw, and haven't had a problem since.

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”