Misc Brackets, Plates, Etc.

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Misc Brackets, Plates, Etc.

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:00 pm When i bring that exact svg into sheetcam and make my plan and post process i get no errors or open paths. Not sure why design edge states there are open paths.
If I take your original svg, import to and export from LightBurn as dxf, then open with DE, this is what it looks like. You can see that LightBurn has linked/joined to eliminate intersections and convert to all closed paths. This is just something to keep in mind if you ever run into a problematic drawing with SheetCam.
David
lightmountplasmaspider.svg exported from LightBurn as dxf.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I am not opening svg files directly with Design Edge. I convert svg to dxf using LightBurn, then open with DE. Or open svg with Inkscape, then save as dxf R14, and then open with DE. This is the same drawing file, just in a different format.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:18 am I am not opening svg files directly with Design Edge. I convert svg to dxf using LightBurn, then open with DE. Or open svg with Inkscape, then save as dxf R14, and then open with DE. This is the same drawing file, just in a different format.
David
Ah. Okay.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:14 pm Stroke width i use is .002". I usually never play with this after I set it. I do spot check it once in a while or if I am playing around. I then always revert back to .002"

lightmountplasmaspider.svg
TJ - I tried this again with the line width set to zero and working in Outline mode. Now when I save as dxf all the dimensions match up.
So I think the line width setting was the one that was throwing me off. For most general plasma cut parts these small discrepancies may not matter - as the plasma can only cut so close. I just wanted to find out why the exported dxf was different than the drawing in Inkscape.

success.jpg
I have on occasion cut parts with my table and maintained accuracy to within several thousandths of the specified dimensions on the drawing/dxf. In the example below, this was more of a test to find out how accurately the SheetCam Scanything auto tracing program with digital camera could trace an actual part and create an accurate dxf file from the trace.

I drew the part to be exactly 4.750" OD with a center hole of 0.750" ID. Then I cut and measured the cut part and it was pretty close. Then I used the Scanything auto tracer setup to scan the OD of the cut part and convert to dxf and opened with Design Edge. I was very impressed at how closely the trace matched up the actual part. Perhaps not too practical for most plasma cut applications, but I just wanted to see how well the auto tracer worked.

David
round disc 1.jpg
round disc 2.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

When I made a drain grate for a manhole, there were specifics so Pea stone could not pass thru as this was a house on a small island. They gave me a dimension of 3/16". The grate was designed so it had slots. I just drew it with the slot width to .1875". I did a test cut and was a thou off. Good to go.

https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=32559
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 am When I made a drain grate for a manhole, there were specifics so Pea stone could not pass thru as this was a house on a small island. They gave me a dimension of 3/16". The grate was designed so it had slots. I just drew it with the slot width to .1875". I did a test cut and was a thou off. Good to go.

https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=32559
TJ - were all might be leaning a few new things here, especially me. Thanks for your input.
David
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”