Powermax 30xp vs Powermax 30 Consumables - Will they fit

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
tropostudio
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 30xp vs Powermax 30 Consumables - Will they fit

Post by tropostudio »

New forum member with a question:

I have a Powermax 30 with the T30V hand torch. My understanding is the consumables for the Powermax 30XP with the Duramax LT hand torch cannot be used on the Powermax 30. Does anyone know why not? It looks like the HyAccess consumables are the same for the 30 and the 30XP, so that makes me think the threading on the torch bodies are identical.

The reason I'm asking is that I've built a CNC plasma table, I have a Powermax 30, and I'd like to try it on the table. The 30 XP consumables look to have a retaining cap and shielded deflector that would be simpler to machine a torch holder for and to add an Ohmic sensor to.
tropostudio
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Powermax 30xp vs Powermax 30 Consumables

Post by tropostudio »

Might have answered my own question. I picked up a Powermax 30XP retainer cap, swirl tip, standard electrode and nozzle, and shield/deflector and tried them on my Powermax 30 torch. Cut really well. Won't know about longevity for awhile, but it'll be much easier to mount on my CNC and to attach an ohmic lead to.

I'd be interested to know why Hypertherm says the 30XP consumables are not compatible with the older 30.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 30xp vs Powermax 30 Consumables

Post by weldguy »

Good info, thanks for posting your findings :Like
tropostudio
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Powermax 30xp vs Powermax 30 Consumables - Will they fit

Post by tropostudio »

A couple shots of the hand torch from my Powermax 30 with XP30 parts screwed onto the handle, held in a breakaway mount of my own design. The cylindrical, insulated shield cap for the XP30 made it much easier to machine a torch clamp. I will fashion a press-fit ohmic sensor connector for the copper XP30 shield from copper tube. Will have an Arduino THC as well. Will start another machine build thread to document this when it is operational.

IMG_20200513_171036.jpg
IMG_20200513_171104.jpg
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax30 consumables are not shielded. The Powermax30xp consumables are shielded. The shielded parts when used as designed will last considerably longer than the non shielded parts. If you like the non shielded parts in your 30XP....then that is up to you! Hypertherm does not recommend the older PMX30 parts because they are not as long lived as the newer technology 30XP, The 30XP has two sets of consumables...the standard and the Finecut parts. Finecut is designed for 30 amps and lower, specifically for thinner gauge and better quality. Jim Colt
rbarstow
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rbarstow »

I know this is an older post, but has anyone else tried using the Powermax 30xp consumables on their Powermax 30 torch? if so do they actually match up and work?
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

rbarstow wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:40 am I know this is an older post, but has anyone else tried using the Powermax 30xp consumables on their Powermax 30 torch? if so do they actually match up and work?
The local welding shop sold me Powermax 30 consumables once by accident and I didn't realize they were the wrong parts for my 30XP until I got back to the shop and they wouldn't fit.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”