The new SmartSYNC plasma cutting system

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: The new SmartSYNC system

Post by cutnweld »

Sorry. Not impressed. Its to bad when companies try to bend over backwards to make life easier for those who don't want to learn. I purchased a new 85 unit for backup, it will be my last HT unit unless this changes. Someone who is unable to change a tip or electrode will also be unable to take care of the delicate, control filled handtorch. The sensors etc in that will go bad, forcing the owners to save even more money by buying expensive replacement parts.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I agree. I think the value of the older units will increase because of this. Hopefully we will still be able to get consumables for a while.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

For an old guy like me, it is similar to the new cars that self parallel park. And I live in a town with only big open parking in a big lot .
Win 7 is still working fine too. :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hopefully my Hypertherm Powermax 85 and 45xp will last as long as I need them - maybe another 20 years or so. I would expect Hypertherm to continue the consumables for these, and I also wouldn't be a bit surprised it they decide to bring back the 65/85/105 in a few years or so due to poor sales of their new offering. Otherwise one of their competitors will need to step in and pick up the slack.
David
Sevans16
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Sevans16 »

adbuch wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:25 pm
HypHyDef wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:15 am
mechanicjon wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 am 45amp SmartSYNC in the future?
At this time we are not planning on releasing a new 45amp system with SYNC.
Very happy to hear that. Can the new SYNC 65 and 85 be fitted with Duramax torch to use the older standard consumables (not the cartridge)?
Thanks,
David
I’m interested as well, I’d like to buy a sync machine and start converting over. I have a lot of Duramax consumables, and several torches, hand and machine. I don’t want to just switch over everything at once.
I’d like to be able to say switch my CNC table to sync and be able to run a Duramax hand torch on occasion.
Last edited by Sevans16 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

So the question about using the Duramax torch on this new system was responded to on 17 Dec, yet the question was never answered.

I'll interpret that as a big fat NO YOU CAN'T.

I never thought the day would come when I'd be looking at an alternative to Hypertherm, but this is one tactic I've come to despise from companies when they find ways to make you pay heaps more.

They should give you a choice of alternatives, not force you into what puts the most money in their pockets.

Spread the word wherever you can and let the market decide. Hypertherm will react accordingly.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Keith - pretty sure the answer is "NO". I purchased my 85 brand new around 5 years ago, it has seem minimal use, and I expect it to serve me well for years to come. Parts and consumables should be available for the foreseeable future. If I need a new cutter 10 or 15 years from now, then I will just see what is available that suites my needs at that time.
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I agree beefy. I think they're doing this to lessen the number of service calls from inexperienced people. If we make it all automatic, surely they can't mess it up.
Unfortunately some of us like to choose when to replace our consumables depending on the quality we need for a particular job.
If I have a bad pierce and wreck a nozzle, why change the electrode and shield?
If Hypertherm moves in a different direction, someone will step up and fill the void.
Hopefully one of the geniuses on this site will 3d print an adapter to allow using the Duramax torch on a Sync.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

they are learning from Microsoft, very bad habits
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:18 pm Hopefully one of the geniuses on this site will 3d print an adapter to allow using the Duramax torch on a Sync.
Hey...I know someone with a 3D printer...look up...nudge nudge AC :HaHa

Yes, I am with you guys. These modern day tactics are annoying at best, do they really think we believe them when they say they have designed this with us in mind. Give me a break. Just cause you say its so doesn't make it so, that's liberal logic and one day that crap won't fly anymore. I am not apposed to trying something new, I sure won't be buying a Hypertherm again if I am forced to use the "Smart"Sync system and I have bought more than a few HT's in my days.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Now where did that Hypertherm rep disappear to? :-?
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It that old "we reached out to them and no comment" :Sad :Sad :Sad
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Same. I have 3 powermax 85 units, I dont think there has ever been better unit made. But when they are done I will be shopping elsewhere. I put a post in the contact form at HT, no response after several weeks.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I personally wouldn't mind trying out one of the new smart cutters. I most likely won't be buying one any time soon, but it would be interesting to check them out. One of the sticking points in my opinion is that $50-$60 cost for each cartridge. So one for fine cuts, one for 45 amp, 65 amp, 85 amp, drag cutting, etc. Plus spares. So say $600 to $800 in cartridges to get started. I would be very interested to see exactly how much better the cuts are with the new technology as opposed to what I am using now.

David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Hypertherm would have to ‘screw up’ a lot worse than this for me to ever leave them. Some of you are the reason we can’t have new carpet in the sanctuary - any change must be bad bad bad LOL. It might not be so bad. I’m not a fan of that cost but if it works and lasts better, considering the cost of consumables is already such a small part of the cost of cutting, it might not be a screw up at all?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I'm not against new stuff, but why scrap the old model? Why not let the market decide if the Sync is the next big thing? If sales of the old model drop drastically, then scrap it. If not, then scrap the Sync, or make an adapter to fit the Duramax torch.
Like DeWalt and the 20v to 18v adapter. Don't have to convert your tools all at once.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

rdj357 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:30 am Hypertherm would have to ‘screw up’ a lot worse than this for me to ever leave them. Some of you are the reason we can’t have new carpet in the sanctuary - any change must be bad bad bad LOL. It might not be so bad. I’m not a fan of that cost but if it works and lasts better, considering the cost of consumables is already such a small part of the cost of cutting, it might not be a screw up at all?
No one said any change must be bad bad bad Robert. Were just not drinking the kool-aid yet, lets see how it works out first, surely we can all agree that's a wise idea.

We all have experience with plasma cutting consumables here and in our experience this doesn't make sense and doesn't appear to be a good idea for the end user. This is particularly true for an experienced user who knows how to get the most out of the costly consumables.

Your right though, it might not be a screw up at all. No one knows at this point, it's just a discussion. Time will tell and if I can save money on consumables with this then that's great. I have had great luck with Hypertherm in the past that's for sure.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I was referring to the multiple posts declaring that when their current machines were due for replacement they were shopping elsewhere or never buying Hypertherm again. Just seems a little knee jerk and dramatic considering that this could really ultimately be a good thing.

I teach workshops and I can't tell you how many hundreds of conversations I've had with users having mismatched consumables, incorrect settings for consumables, etc etc etc. I can't imagine how many calls Hypertherm themselves must get that resolve once a correct consumable stack is installed. Not everything is kool-aid..... Let's see what happens! I'm just not a big drama guy. Happy cutting everyone!
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Right. I am tired of people trying to patch the problem. We make the problem worse by catering to the ones that would rather check their smart phone every 30 seconds than check machine settings. Why is it that we have a skilled labour shortage in an expanding population? We are making it to easy. I am not yet 30 years old, but I think I have reason to think that this world is not getting better. BTW I don't like carpet :-)
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

1250, 65 & 105 here.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.. I am tired of companies who think they know what I want! Understanding consumables and their wear is but one requirement required to run a CNC table.

Stop providing us with Duramax consumables and we will buy cheep knock offs from oversees (it's really that simple)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

mismatching consumables for people you are teaching is part of the learning process.... plus knowing what to look at when you have a problem what it could be.

providing a packaged solution removes the error but removes the learning process too.... another unskilled operator operating machinery..... calling themselves a trained / skilled operator....

a lot of motor mechanics about who can plug in an obd monitor in but can't diagnose rough running or an intermittent exhaust note without it... etc etc.

it's not a skills shortage but a deskilling that happens with technology... I guess it's just progress
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

What's so hard about building a holder for the in use consumables?

PS 4.jpg

And a drawer to hold the new ones labeled with part #'s and application.

PS 5.jpg
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I just checked the price of these cartridges here in Australia, about $90.

So for a simple "convenience" I have the privilege of paying many multiples of what I normally would when all I want to change is a $10 nozzle.

And what if a nozzle gets damaged/contaminated when piercing, or during a dive. Fork out another $90.

Hypertherm are marketing this as a convenience thing, and also for brain dead people for whom it's too difficult to look at the page in the manual that shows what nozzle goes with what end cap, etc. Or know when the hafnium insert in the electrode is worn. Oh and they also don't have to set the corresponding amps and air pressure.
If that is such a necessity, then those people are going to screw up when it comes to the setting on welding sets, etc, and whatever other equipment they may use in a steel fabrication setting. Are employers really willing to pay 9 times the price for this "convenience" ? Sounds like it will be cheaper to hire people who don't need this "convenience".
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

but you can now hire a less skilled operative as it's idiot proof
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

LOL at this thread. Maybe we should ditch all this silly fancy CNC stuff and newfangled plasma cutting. Let's go back to pantographs and oxy-fuel and cut metal like real men!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”