Hypertherm PM45 Torch cap sensor fault

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Hypertherm PM45 Torch cap sensor fault

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Hi Jim,

I have been on Plasmaspider for a while researching information for my table build. I designed and built a 4x4 table and have been running well since April with some time out for tuning and upgrade issues.

Components:
CandCNC Ethercut DTHCIV (THC ON), Water tub, 120psi at rear of PM45 unit, All new equipment this spring. Bad (burned out?) green LED for the upper air adjust limit on front panel a few weeks back.

Just recently we have been getting the "Torch cap sensor LED" (yellow) fault indicator. It happened 2-3 times on a small job. The torch is a T45v running T30v consumables. We are cutting 16ga CR steel at 75ipm and 86V THC which is .030" torch cut height.

The job would start cutting fine and after 10 pierces on the next pierce the torch air would kick on and attempt to fire the torch (the Mach3 screen Torch FIRE LED comes ON) but would not fire then have the PM45 Torch cap sensor LED (yellow) come ON. I would power OFF the Hypertherm PM45 unit remove the torch and then remove the consumables which are almost NEW. Upon each inspection I could not find any reason for the fault. I would clean off the electrode and nozzle then reassemble. Turn on the PM45 unit and do the air test...good. Restart the Mach3 to resume the cut and the unit would fail again at the same pierce. Did this 3 times (same job) and on the fourth attempt the job finished cutting okay. Other earlier same jobs the cut would continue a bit then fault again. I can HEAR the torch retaining cap SWITCH click (activate) when the cap was screwed ON. The cap is not under nor over-tightened.

After that job I decided to change the tool settings and change the torch voltage from 86v to 89v which we had good luck with in the past. I had changed the voltage from 89v to 86v so the cut gap was at down to .030" which was closer to Hypertherm recommended .020" for the T30v consumables and our job. After many prior successful cuts at that .030" I noticed the nozzle was pushing some debris as it cut and would loose it once the direction changed. I was having a bit less dross at the 89v (.040") setting so I returned to it once again.

Once the 89v change was implemented and returned to the next updated job file (A logo & incrementing numbers) the job fully cut without a fault. The next four signs finished without faults as well which is where we finished for the day. What the heck is causing this and how do I remedy it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm PM45 Torch cap sensor fault

Post by tcaudle »

There is nothing in the DTHC , MACH or the controller that can cause the fault you are seeing. The consumables sensor function is completely inside the plasma and its basically a switch under the cap that is sensed by the Hypertherm internal logic.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Thanks, I'm completely aware of that fact.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Cap sensor switch is a simple microswitch inside the torch. It senses the stack up of the consumables when the retaining cap is installed. If there is something out of tolerance with the consumables (could be a damaged swirl ring...incorrect part numbers, or often we find non-genuine parts that are out of tolerance) then this switch will not activate, and the indicator light will illuminate. Occasionally the switch can become damaged or worn and will need replacement...which is straightforward and easy to do. Best bet to troubleshoot the switch is to call Hypertherm tech service with your symptoms, if you prefer, you can download the tech service manual (go to downloads library on the www.hypertherm.com site, choose Powermax45, then manuals, then service manual) where there are details that will help you replace the switch.

So, in order:

1. Verify the consumables are genuine Hypertherm and match the part numbers associated with your operators manual cut charts.
2. If above is good, replace the swirl ring with new.
3. If the above did not help, replace the retaining cap with new.
4. If none of the above work.....contact tech service or download the service manual for information.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

So, in order:

1. Verify the consumables are genuine Hypertherm and match the part numbers associated with your operators manual cut charts.
A: Consumables are genuine and correct T30v parts to run on the T45v torch. I can hear the switch click about two turns onto the torch and another 2-3 turns before it tightens.

2. If above is good, replace the swirl ring with new.
A: The swirl ring looks like new and all the vent holes are clean thru.

3. If the above did not help, replace the retaining cap with new.
A: The retaining cap does it's job and all threads are clean and fresh looking. The torch plunger is free and all is clean.

4. If none of the above work.....contact tech service or download the service manual for information.
Roger that!

Could moisture in the air source be a factor? I know it will but enough to stop the torch (torch fault) from firing at pierce?

The main tank drain, lines and traps are cleared before use and during jobs. Will be installing a pre-cooler radiator and a stainless accumulator drainage catch tank before returning back to the main compressor storage tank.

Thanks Jim
Last edited by Bigdogbro1 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Moisture won't give you the cap sensor fault, but it certainly can affect the cut quality and the starting reliability of the torch.

I suspect the switch may be bad (even though you hear it click) or there is a loose connection in the torch, leads or power supply.

Jim Colt
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

I feel the switch could contribute to the failure because we power down the PM45 unit and remove the torch from the holder, remove, check and clean the consumables, reassemble the torch. The torch may fire and run fine for some time or not fire again and we repeat the process until we get the job done or things begin running normal. The PM45 front torch plug connection is not touched. Can't say we have just power cycled the unit to see if that would work.

Cheers
TangoFox
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TangoFox »

Hi, how did you sort this issue?? Iam having same problem here.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”