Powermax65 and water table 0-30 error code

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
Alabass
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Powermax65 and water table 0-30 error code

Post by Alabass »

Just got my first water table a few weeks ago and am loving the fact that it keeps the material cool and controls the dust. However, last night I was doing a very detailed cut on a sign and every few minutes I would have a misfire and a 0-30 code on the Powermax65. I would have to take the nozzle, tip, and electrode off and blow the moisture out to get it to fire again. I tried adjusting the water level to different levels under the material but it would still misfire every few minutes. This became quite a problem and took up a lot of time. Is the Powermax65 always this finicky? I used two different Thermal Dynamics machines on my previous table and they rarely gave me any trouble, of course I was dry cutting with them. Is there any way to prevent moisture from getting in the nozzle of the Powermax? I can't handle the delays when cutting like it was last night.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax65 and water table

Post by acourtjester »

The code 0-30 is not related to a water table, I would look into cleaning the inside for the torch with a dry towel. Or there may be a problem with
the switch in the torch tip, you may contact the help line from Hypertherm.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Here's a read on it before you call the Hyperthm ER

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=11665
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 0-30 code indicates a stuck electrode inside the torch. For this type of plasma torch (blowback technology) the electrode at rest is pushed against the nozzle with a spring. When you activate the plasma the DC cutting power turns on and there is a dead short between the negative electrode and the positive nozzle. A few miliseconds after DC power is on, air pressure builds in the torch and this pressure pushes the electrode back away from the nozzle creating a short circuit spark that ionizes the air, creating the plasma cutting arc.

If the electrode does not push back quick enough, or does not stay disengaged from the nozzle the arc will extinguish and the onboard diagnostics will indicate the 0-30 code. Here are the most common things that will cause the 0-30:

1. Inlet air pressure starvation. Inlet pressure under dynamic (air not flowing at the torch) conditions must be between 90 and 135 psi at all times. If, during the above starting process a restriction somewhere in your air plumbing system causes a momentary drop in inlet pressure (below 90 psi), it is possible to have an 0-30 code. This is not related to compressor size or horsepower, rather it is related to the plumbing system between the compressor and the inlet fitting on the plasma cutter. The ONLY way to measure for inlet pressure is to tee a pressure gauge directly on the inlet fitting and record the pressure when no air is flowing at the torch, then record the pressure with air flowing. There will always be a drop in pressure at the inlet when air is flowing, and this indicates restrictions in your plumbing system. What you need to observe is what the gauge does right at the moment air flow activates at the torch, if you see it droop low, then increase a bit (as pressure /flow in the line stabilizes)...then that momentary droop could be causing the 0-30 code. Sometimes you can simply increase the static pressure at the inlet to overcome this issue, in other cases you may have components (filters, hose ID, hose length, air dryers, etc.) that are causing too much restriction in flow.

2. Aftermarket consumable parts, (particularly the electrode and swirl ring) are almost always out of tolerance. Use genuine consumables from a reputable, authorized Hypertherm distributor or dealer.

3. Worn out consumables. While electrodes and nozzle are the most common wear parts, the swirl ring and retaining cap will eventually develop wear and flow issues. Replace as needed.

4. Issues with the input start signal. If the cnc machine does not provide a solid contact closure for the input signal to the plasma...a 0-30 code could occur. You can trouble shoot this with a manual (push button switch) on the start input to the plasma (or use a hand torch and do some cutting using the trigger switch). If no 0-30 codes with manual switch starting or trigger switch starting, but error codes with the cnc start then there may be some issues on the cnc control end. Jim Colt
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Jim,

I wish we had your knowledge on a thumb drive, Hint. Hint.
14u2cnc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Powermax65 and water table 0-30 error code

Post by 14u2cnc »

I have had this same 0-30 issue and I did the following:

Replaced everything in the torch head with hypertherm consumables from reputable Welding shop...even replaced outer black housing. Cleaned and checked all air supply and pressures. Finger tight....Start cutting and Bam 3 minutes into cut 0-30 code.

So now I borrow an identical PM 85 and change just the plasma machine only....start cutting and Bam 0-30 code (so its not my PM 85)

I now borrow and change the torch on my LDR table and everything cuts flawlessly.

After process of elimination I have ordered a new torch because down time is not stress free shop time!

I am sure curious about this glitch and whats wrong with my torch however,,,will chime back in when I have that answer as soon as I can find a tech to look at torch.

PS...I did have a Z switch issue and my torch was slammed down onto the metal quite a few times which may or may not contributed to this issue.
LDR 5x10 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Sterling Cool Plasma Juice
t-tracks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by t-tracks »

i have same problems with what you experienced and i am at the point where i think its the machine torch, have replaced parts in the unit and same thing, did you ever find out what was the cause with your init i will order a torch if that is the issue, i have a hyp65 with water table also. i just dont want to spend more money on this if this is not a possiable solution.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Put a filter in the airline feeding the plasma. Any slight little trace of oil from compressor gets in there and seems to either kill the solenoid inside plasma or make the switch stick in the torch. Mine used to but now that I'm using it more it seems to have worked itself out.

Return to “0-30 Fault Code”