Question on an electrode?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Metalmedic
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Question on an electrode?

Post by Metalmedic »

Does anybody know why a copperplus electrode the spring would be collapse and stay that way? It was at the end of its life was cutting one small piece as it’s last cutting life and changing until the bad electrode signal came on the unit. Didn’t hurt nothing just swapped the electrode and cut away. Just curious as to why or what happen if maybe I needed to pay alittle more attention putting the tip together? Thanks for any input.
Attachments
4F1BD50B-1436-41EA-B5F3-05BE0A1896B7.jpeg
5AE7027C-1057-4DE4-BFAF-EB2A610D9981.jpeg
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Question on an electrode?

Post by plasmanewbie »

That is odd. Must have happened during installation. Ah well at least you finished the job :Like
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If the hafnium emitter is burned beyond about .060" (you don't show that in your pics) the electrode will transfer more heat through the copper and will overheat the spring, collapsing it as your pic shows. It is best to change the electrode per the consumables inspection section of the operators manual. If this electrode was used much more it would have destroyed the nozzle and shield, possibly the retaining cap as well. Jim Colt
Metalmedic
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Metalmedic »

Thanks Jim, that’s what I kinda thought It was right at the end of its life the hafnium was right at about .06. I was making the last cut with it when that happened and was ready to change it.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

I had a brand new copper plus electrode do that. Never got 1 pierce out of it!
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

And yes it was genuine Hypertherm.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”