Should I buy this? PM65 No leads

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
ALshooter
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Should I buy this? PM65 No leads

Post by ALshooter »

I have found a PM65 with no leads. Seller claims he bought it for one of his crews to use in the field (welding & fabrication company) and when they brought it back, had lost both leads. I have a generator that I can use to power it up but don't have a torch to run test cuts.

Other than cracking it open, visually inspecting the board for blown or melted/singed components and verifying that it will power up, is there anything I can do to avoid being burned by buying a bad power source?

He's agreed to take $900 contingent on it powering on. Worth the risk?

TIA for any and all advise. I'm new to the board and am looking forward to learning more as I build out my setup.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Should I buy this? PM65 No leads

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like a rockin deal. If it powers up with no torch you will get a 0-52 error code on the screen for sure so don't be surprised. I think its worth the risk if it powers up and doesn't look abused, I would buy it just for the parts!
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

New with a 25' machine torch they are about $3,300, the machine torch alone is about $700. So if it works that sounds like a good deal to me. The company should have some leads / torch you could test it with..
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Check out Baker's Gas and Welding Supply online for the Torch and Work Lead. I just got a 25' Hypertherm machine torch from them for $570 w/o consumables if you end up buying that unit. Their prices are pretty good.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I would see if you can work a deal with a local welding supply to bring it to them for testing. The 0-52 error may supersede other error, that may show after a torch is hooked up. You still have at least a no air pressure error with a torch attached.
Loss of the leads may be a way to unload a defective machine so problems cannot be seen if it was a fully operational unit. Leads are bigger than a bread box!
That old saying "to good to be true" You could roll the dice and win, your choice.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:48 pm I would see if you can work a deal with a local welding supply to bring it to them for testing. The 0-52 error may supersede other error, that may show after a torch is hooked up. You still have at least a no air pressure error with a torch attached.
Loss of the leads may be a way to unload a defective machine so problems cannot be seen if it was a fully operational unit. Leads are bigger than a bread box!
That old saying "to good to be true" You could roll the dice and win, your choice.

Oooooh! I did not think of that......good point.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

If you're pretty confident it will work, buy the leads and show up with them when you go to buy the unit. That way you can try cutting with it. Best case, it's good and you need the leads anyway. Worst case, you can sell them on here and be out a little, but less than $900.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

If you buy the leads, and you decide to buy a new 65, you can buy a bare machine from the store I mentioned above. Don't forget the $900 machine probably will need a cpc port field installed to connect to your cnc table.
ALshooter
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ALshooter »

Thanks for the advise guys. I ended up buying the machine. It was basically brand new with the screen protector film still on it. They only used it for one job. Waiting on leads and consumables to arrive from Baker's.
ALshooter
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ALshooter »

Thanks for the advise guys. I ended up buying the machine. It was basically brand new with the screen protector film still on it. They only used it for one job. Waiting on leads and consumables to arrive from Baker's.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Good man, life gives you choices either you stand on the sidewalk or join the parade, looks like you are in the parade.
The PM 65 is a great machine it will do a good job for you congrats on the move :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Good deal! now find me a 105 if you would :HaHa
ALshooter
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ALshooter »

SegoMan, I'll keep my eye out. There seems to be no shortage of deals around DFW if you keep your eye on the online markets.

Next up is to research 4x4 CNC table options. As an Accountant I have a lot to learn about the design, setup and software to get this equipment producing a return. As a computer geek, sounds like it will be fun.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

There are a number of cnc table manufacturers right in your area. Off the top of my head: MultiCam (right in DFW), Lone Star Cutting Solutions, Mineola, TX, Cyrious Metal works, Whightwright TX. And more! Jim Colt
ALshooter
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ALshooter »

HA! Mr Jim Colt. I was just watching your video with ChuckE2009. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”