Newbie question on Powermax 45 settings

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
RyeRick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie question on Powermax 45 settings

Post by RyeRick »

I'm running a Hypertherm Powermax45 on a PlasmaCam 4x4 table. I have the standard PMAX hand torch with fine cut consumables (T45m shield, nozzle, swirl ring, electrode, & ohmic sensing retaining cap, on the hand torch). Hand torch is mounted to the PlasmaCam. This setup works great for 14 & 16 gauge mild steel (heaviest material I've cut with the PlasmaCam table) but I plan on cutting 1/4" material for a fire pit build. Torch setup configurations from the PMAX 45 manual for 1/4" mild steel recommend 0.06 torch distance, 0.5 - 0.6 pierce height, 60 ipm cut speed at 120 volts. Looking for advice and recommendations from anyone using this machine & consumable setup on whether or not the configuration settings from the manual are accurate. With this consumable setup my kerf width is .035 on 14 gauge, but was planning on cutting a test line on the 1/4" material to determine if I need to change the kerf width settings. Appreciate any help I can get! Thanks
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Newbie question on Powermax 45 settings

Post by WyoGreen »

The settings in the Powermax45 manual are usually pretty accurate. If the settings you've been using for 14 and 16 gauge are in agreement with the manual, then I'd say the 1/4" settings will probably work just fine for you.
On my PM45, the settings started out agreeing with the manual, but over the years they have changed, probably due to changes in the components in the cutter or controller due to age. Whenever I cut a new thickness of material, I do a test cut with the DTHC off just to verify the voltage.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
RyeRick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Newbie question on Powermax 45 settings

Post by RyeRick »