HT 45 torch erosion on retaining cap Pt#220713

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Jeepn2
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

HT 45 torch erosion on retaining cap Pt#220713

Post by Jeepn2 »

Does anyone know what would cause the retaining cap to start eroding in the plastic threaded area? This is the second one that it has done it and I haven't cut that much. When it first starts you will notice some fine rubber like buildup where the cap and shield meet and as it progresses it will erode a chunk out of the cap and will not cut, I have used both HT and aftermarket consumables but haven't really noticed any difference in cut quality.
Will try to upload a pic of the worst one

Second question:
Probably been asked a number of times but here goes. Will the torch that comes with a HT 45XP work on the HT45, I have the chance to pick one up and was wanting to verify before laying out the cash.

Thanks
JC
Precision Plasma Patriot 4X8, water table, Price THC, UC 400ETH, Floating head
Hypertherm 45XP - Machine torch
UCCNC, Sheetcam, Inkscape/Corel X5
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HT 45 torch erosion on retaining cap Pt#220713

Post by plasmanewbie »

Very strange, would like to see a pic of what your referring to if you could upload one.
Jeepn2

Post by Jeepn2 »

What is the secret to uploading a pic to the site? Everything I have tried gives me an error
Jeepn2

Post by Jeepn2 »

Cap.png
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I had that happen on the old 45 torch, brushing some mig tip dip around that area stopped it on mine, guess water doesn't do it any good.
I am also using the 45xp lock torch on the old 45, it does cut better and finecuts are great, you don't get the cap problem at all.
I do tend to get misfires for some reason which I can't really find a answer to, new consumables are fine but once there is a little pit in the electrode I start getting intermittent misfires.
I did read the other day about sanding down the electrode, so have been trying that and it does seem to help extend the usable life from electrodes,.
I've only done that on electrodes that have a pit depth of maybe .75mm , spin it up in battery drill and sand with fine a sanding disc until you get a little white spark.
Don't see any problems with cut quality so far.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Jeepn2

Post by Jeepn2 »

Thanks for the feedback, I will try the tip dip trick today. The guy wont be back in town until Christmas so I guess I'll have to wait on the new torch
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I cannot open your picture file. Send one directly to me at jim.colt@hypertherm.com and I can provide an analysis of the retaining cap issue. Usually an arced out retaining cap is caused by 1. Torch mount too close to the retaining cap (this allows arcing when the torch fires....which will erode the plastic insulating material....ultimately damaging the torch.) 2. Torch and retaining cap cutting dust buildup. The dust that is produced from cutting is very much electrically conductive, if allowed to build up on the torch body (inside and out) and the retaining cap then expect the arc to stray. The torch and retaining cap should be cleaned with a cloth often if you expect best performance and life.

Jim Colt

Jeepn2 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:14 pm Does anyone know what would cause the retaining cap to start eroding in the plastic threaded area? This is the second one that it has done it and I haven't cut that much. When it first starts you will notice some fine rubber like buildup where the cap and shield meet and as it progresses it will erode a chunk out of the cap and will not cut, I have used both HT and aftermarket consumables but haven't really noticed any difference in cut quality.
Will try to upload a pic of the worst one

Second question:
Probably been asked a number of times but here goes. Will the torch that comes with a HT 45XP work on the HT45, I have the chance to pick one up and was wanting to verify before laying out the cash.

Thanks
JC
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Jeepn2 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:28 pm What is the secret to uploading a pic to the site? Everything I have tried gives me an error
There are files size and image size restrictions which you likely exceeded but looks like you've got it now.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”