Anyone with a 45XP wish they would have the 65

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
camotoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Anyone with a 45XP wish they would have the 65

Post by camotoe »

My 5x10 table is about a month out on delivery. I will mostly be cutting signs 1/8 and 3/16 mild steel. Occasionally aluminum in the same thickness. Every so often a job comes up for 1/4" mild steel but not often. I don't really want to spend the extra money on a hypertherm 65 but now is my chance to upgrade. Do any of you guys running the 45XP ever wish you had a more powerful unit such as the 65?
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Anyone with a 45XP wish they would have the 65

Post by djreiswig »

I have a 65 and wished I would have went with the 85 a couple of times. If there's ever a chance of a job coming up where you need the added capacity, like you say, now's your chance. If you're just going to stick with thinner sheet, then it's probably not worth it. But you never know.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

I don't know how Hypertherm works, but I had a Thermal Dynamics 151, the magic smoke got out and I went to a TD Cutmaster 58. The duty cycle is much less and I have had one job cutting real thick stuff where it bit me in the ass. I figured it out, but wish I would have went with one step up at least.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I have a 65, one of the reasons I jumped up to it is it can be ran off of single or three phase power. It runs at 1/2 the price under the 3 phase, like others posted it has a better duty cycle as well. The 6x12 build will eventually have a 105 as the shop does not have 480 3 phase that the 125 requires..
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I went from a Powermax 600 to a Powermax 65
The 600 is a 40 amp machine that I upgraded to a Duramax machine torch. It done better than I thought it would and I was able to cut up to 1/2" mild steel real good other than the ipm.
Now that I bought the new 65 I didn't know what I was missing.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I have a PM45 about 10 years old. I cut mostly 10, 12 and 1/4" and have never wished I had a bigger machine. I have done a few small jobs at 1/2" and it worked fine. If I upgrade it will be to the 45XP and no bigger.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Well I have had the old 45 for 6yrs now, it's cut tons of sheets, lots of 10 & 12mm even some jobs 15, 20 & 25, great machine.
Unfortunately it packed in mid cut just before Christmas, been in touch with hypertherm tech about it and its pointing towards the main board, haven't priced it yet but they look expensive!
So had to get a replacement, thought I was going to get a 65, but the single phase in EU is different to US single phase and the 45 is as big as I can go here on our single phase so I had to buy a XP 45.
I'm my opinion if your old PM45 is running OK I wouldn't be in a hurry to change to the XP thinking its a upgrade, swapping to the duramax torch is worthwhile.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

THE 45xp is a completely new power supply design that produces more cutting power (Wattage) per Amp than its predecessor (the original Powermax45) and is actually very close in cutting power to the Powermax65. This is done by designing an inverter power supply that runs at a higher switching speed. The 45xp also has the ability to run as low as 10 amps, allowing it the ability to mark plate for drill locations, folding/bending locations, weld locations, part numbers, graphics on art pieces. Since the XP has been in the field for over 3 years it has proven to be a very reliable system as well. Bottom line, the 45XP is closer to the performance of the Powermax65 than the original Powermax45 was. Jim Colt
camotoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by camotoe »

Thanks guys for all the info. I think I'll stick with the 45XP and outsource when needed. It does look like a pretty sweet machine.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”