45xp stainless kerf width issues

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Seanyk6886
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

45xp stainless kerf width issues

Post by Seanyk6886 »

When looking at my cut charts in my hypertherm book I see that the kerf widths for standard cut consumables are set very small. 16 gage is .017" which does not make sense when fine cut is .039". I feel like this is in error in my book but the pdf download is also the same. After changing my kerf width to .053" which is what mild steel kerf width is, I have no issues with cut paths overlapping. I noticed this after cutting a sign that I normally cut on mild steel with fine cut consumables, and when cutting text with the .017" kerf setting the breaks in letters would overlap which then dropped the center's of letters out. Just curious if these kerf widths are right or wrong in the current manuals. Thanks
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45xp stainless kerf width issues

Post by adbuch »

Hi Sean,
I have a 45xp but have not cut any stainless with it. I looked at the manual and it is the same as you are seeing. That 0.017" does seem small. Plus I'm pretty sure that the FineCut kerf width will be narrower that that produced with the standard non-FineCut consumables. I think the best thing is to do a test cut (say a 6" straight line) with the settings and consumables you intend to use and actually measure the kerf width. Then enter that value into your "settings" to achieve the most accurate results.
David
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

A better suggestion would be to cut a square / frame out with NO OFFSET... Then measure it

This will give you the exact kerf width and is better than trying to measure a gap

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30489#p185120

This will also show the effect of your constant velocity settings too if you have them or they are adjustable (inside corner rounding)... It will allow you to adjust the CV setting upwards to a point where the corner rounding becomes apparent and it should therefore minimise undercut and dross due to too high a slowdown in the inside corners. This is best done without any path rules except for disable thc at below xxx linear feedrate and undercut on the path (a newer sheetcam setting)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Robert,
We're talking about establishing kerf width here. No mention was made of the control system. So "path rules"may not apply. You're assumption that the OP is using Sheetcam is presumptuous. Perhaps re-read the original post.
David
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:15 am Robert,
We're talking about establishing kerf width here. No mention was made of the control system. So "path rules"may not apply. You're assumption that the OP is using Sheetcam is presumptuous. Perhaps re-read the original post.
David
So cutting a line is better than cutting a square to accurately measure kerf width?

The advice about sheetcam was just a prompt to think about any gcode settings that could affect the quality of the square... Or what may affect what.yoy are looking at.... They are universally applicable.

The comment about CV settings again was just a prompt to maybe get some better value out of looking at the square that you've cutout and understanding what other elements are at play... Not just the kerf width.

The OP asked....

Just curious if these kerf widths are right or wrong in the current manuals
Response.... They are a guide... I always cut a square out and measure and check and set them when I use a new material or thickness I've not used before

Running lines of cuts are useful to find the optimum feedrate and lowest dross and ensure full penetration, but not a way to accurately measure kerf as you will get different bevels on each side of the cut... The bit that is important is the cut part dimensions with the correct (minimal) bevel on inside and outside cuts
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ok then,
One down and one to go.
David
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:27 am Ok then,
One down and one to go.
David
??
Seanyk6886
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Seanyk6886 »

Thanks for the input I had previously tested some specific sized squares and rectangles which brought me to the .053 kerf width which coincides with standard mild steel kerf. This would lead me to believe that all stainless kerf widths would follow suite for thicker materials. My question was more along the line of if anyone with an older book or a book from a 65 or 85 had the same kerf widths as my book just to verify or possibly make hypertherm aware of the issue. Possible that some of the 45xp books had a typo in them.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the chart from the 65/85 manual for comparison.
David
kerf width.gif
Seanyk6886
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Seanyk6886 »

That looks more like what kerf widths should be
Just downloaded that for future reference
Thank You
adbuch