Machine torch cable inside cable race.

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Machine torch cable inside cable race.

Post by chasxjs »

I am running a Hypertherm 45xp and I have always had my machine torch cable attached to a swinging arm from above.
I am now redesigning my table to make it portable. With this design, it would be much more convenient to route the cable of the machine torch inside the cable races with the rest of the control cables.
Has anyone ran theirs that way? If so, did you suffer from any interference with the computer or stepper motors?
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Machine torch cable inside cable race.

Post by djreiswig »

Mine has been in the cable chain since I got it. Never had a problem with it this way. The 45xp might be different than my 65.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

That is the way I built mine with the cable management system. I am running a PM85.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

consider having all your signals sent via Ethernet (twisted pair) or better shielded-twisted pair (STP) cable. It does not have to be CAT5E, CAT6 etc as the data transmission rate is not that high, it is more important the cables shielding.

the signals (limit switches, home switches, ohmic sensor, breakaway switch, floating head etc) tend to be low current so may be affected by inducted voltages from adjacent cables that are carrying higher current (such as your stepper motors and the torch cable).

Because the stepper motors are high current, they do not tend to get affected by adjacent cables / signals given the adjacent cables would need to be high current or high voltage to induce a current which would affect the stepper motor directly (secondary side of the stepper motor driver).

running such a large cable through the cable chain, do you not think that maybe it may add additional force to the carriage by way of it having to have a tight bending radius and rolling up and down the cable, better acceleration may be possible without it being run in the cable chain and it may be possible that having it over-slung / suspended may be better / have less impact in forces? Just something for you to consider, YMMV / do as you see fits your application.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”