45xp gas swirl rings

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Badger1bear
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

45xp gas swirl rings

Post by Badger1bear »

Hi guys, is there much difference in the standard gas swirl ring and the fine cut gas swirl ring ? visually the difference I see is two rows of holes on the standard swirl ring where as the fine cut has one row of holes. I am using the fine cut on a machine torch. The reason I ask is on the inside of the nozzle there is a swirl burn gouge pattern and the electrode has wear to it in the centre after just an hours cutting.

When I ordered the parts over the phone I asked for a fine cut gas swirl ring along with the other fine cut consumables but I was sent a standard gas swirl ring and I used that.

Any help and advice is much appreciated
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45xp gas swirl rings

Post by adbuch »

I have used both the FineCut and regular swirl rings for FineCut cutting in my Hypertherm 85 Duramax hand torch on my cnc plasma table. Until recently, I had not realized that there was a swirl ring specifically for FineCut. I'm really not sure what the difference in performance is, but I expect that there is a reason that Hypertherm makes a swirl ring specifically for fine cut operations. Jim Colt would have an exact explanation as to the difference. I would ask your supplier to send you the correct FineCut swirl ring to match your other FineCut consumables.
David
Badger1bear
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Badger1bear »

Im only guessing but if you have more holes you have a greater air flow. With fine cutting do you need a slightly less air flow because its a finer cut ? hence only one row of holes there by restricting air flow ?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is an excerpt from Hypertherm discussing the function of the swirl ring. You can see the entire article here:
David

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/learn/ ... wirl-ring/

"The swirl ring's job is to control and swirl the plasma gas around the electrode and into the nozzle. This is done to control the arc attachment point on the electrode emitter, and the gas flow through the nozzle orifice in a way that delivers the best edge angularity. Controlling and swirling the plasma gas also creates a centrifugal effect that slings heavier un-ionized gas molecules to the edges of the nozzle orifice helping it to last longer.

In addition to all of the above, the swirl ring also ensures perfect alignment between the electrode emitter and the nozzle orifice and it electrically insulates the negatively charged electrode from the positive nozzle. Basically, the swirl ring is relied on for a lot of things. Without one, you would see much shorter life for all your consumables, and poor cut quality.

Hypertherm makes all its swirl rings out of volcanic lava which we precision machine then bake (as in an oven) to increase durability. You may wonder why we use volcanic lava. There are two reasons really, (1) it has very good electrical insulating properties, and (2) it can withstand a lot of heat, as you might expect from something that comes from a volcano. "
Badger1bear
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Badger1bear »

If anyone can contact Jim Colt could you ask him to have a look at this post please

Many thanks Badger
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You can contact him via email here:
jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Or you could join the Plasmacam cnc tips, talk, and trade Facebook forum and ask your questions there. Jim Colt posts there frequently and would most likely respond to your questions. You don't have to own a Plasmacam brand table to join.
David

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PlasmaCAM.Tips
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Or you could PM him here.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2527

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”