Help! Torch stopped working

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Basskitcase
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help! Torch stopped working

Post by Basskitcase »

Hello folks, this is my first post here. I use my hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter as a 2nd cutting attachment on a CNC router rig (simple stuff- I hold the trigger in by hand while the program runs). I am having an issue with my cutter and I can’t figure out what’s wrong. It was working fine the last time I put it away, but when I got it out today, it keeps lighting the torch warning light that normally occurs if you have left the torch nozzle loose, so I replaced the consumables but nothing improved. I did notice that it seems like I am getting very little air flow through the nozzle. Could too little air flow cause this type of error? I cannot find any kinks in the hose and my air pressure is maxed out at 125 psi. I am a pretty mechanical person ( I built my own cnc router from scratch) but I don’t have much experience with fixing plasma cutters so any wisdom you can impart would be greatly appreciated
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help! Torch stopped working

Post by adbuch »

Have you checked the air pressure right at the machine? You should probably have around 100 psi at the machine while it is cutting. If the air pressure drops too low, the machine will not fire. Moisture in the air line can also cause problems.
David
Basskitcase
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Basskitcase »

Here are some more details on what I checked -
When I first tried to use the machine I pulled the trigger and no spark and no hiss of air, and the warning light came on. Changed to fresh consumables. Still no spark at all but a little bit of hiss (sounded weak). I took the machine apart and checked continuity on the electrode and made sure the switches in the gun were closing. I pulled the air hose loose at the exit of the solenoid and clicked the relay and had pretty good pressure blowing out, though I am not sure it was 100 psi worth, which is about what I was feeding it at the time. I cleaned up all the electrical surfaces around the tip to make sure everything was good and clean. My spider sense tells me it’s something with the air, but I know for sure I have good pressure at the inlet of the machine. After the inlet it looks like it goes through some type of moisture separator and then maybe through a regulator then the solenoid. For the record, when I had the air tube loose at the machine, I shoved my air nozzle directly into it to see if there was much restriction. Even with the hose directly in, the air stream still seemed weak coming out of the nozzle of the gun. Sorry for the long post but hoping these details help in some way
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps check the internal filter/regulator for restrictions.
David
Basskitcase
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Basskitcase »

I took it all apart and did some more checking. i removed the tube from the inlet side of the solenoid to check the regulator pressure. i was feeding about 100 psi into the reg and had about 60 PSI out of the reg. Is that the expected pressure on a HT Powermax 30?

I took the hose loose at the gun and there were no restrictions i could find in the hose. the copper line that runs to the nozzle also seemed free of restrictions.

Its strange because the warning light doesn't come on until about 1/2 second after I pull the trigger to start the arc. It never sparks or does anything, just blows some air out the nozzle. If i blip the trigger again with the nozzle away from the metal i am trying to cut, the error light goes away, but the comes back again as soon as i try to hold the trigger in and cut something. I did figure out that the reason air wasn't coming out sometimes is the solenoid is not always staying on once it throws the error light, but sometimes it does.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps you have a defective solenoid, or intermittent trigger wire to the solenoid.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a partial wiring diagram showing the solenoid connection to the circuit board. You could unplug the solenoid and test it separately, or unplug the solenoid and test the J6 connection to confirm that output 4 (pin 12) of the L9338MD chip is functioning properly. Connect a test lamp between pin 1 and pin 4 of the J6 connector (with the board powered on so that the +24V is present at J6 pin 1, and when output 4 is activated the lamp will lite.
David
Hypertherm 30 solenoid.jpg
Hypertherm powermax 30 service manual.zip
(4.45 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
Basskitcase
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Basskitcase »

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I finally bit the bullet and took it to the local repair shop to have them look at it. Will let you know what it turns out to be
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Good luck!
David
Basskitcase
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Basskitcase »

I got the machine back from the shop and they did find a kink/restriction in hose close to the machine so they shortened the overall lead length and cut that part of the hose out. Works great now. I am thinking it’s because the drawer I store it in is a little shorter than ideal so the hose has to bend somewhat abruptly when put away.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the update!
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”