Aftermarket (ebay/plasmadyn) machine torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
xerofokus
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Aftermarket (ebay/plasmadyn) machine torch

Post by xerofokus »

Hello everyone!

I'm just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with this machine torch:

https://ebay.to/329bPKj

I ordered it last week to fit on my HT PM65 coupled to a TM4x2. It arrived well packaged and very fast (2 days faster than the promised date) but does not seem to align with the item description 100%. Yes, it is a machine torch and it plugs directly into my PM65. However, my issue is with the listing claiming it is a direct replacement for a HT torch. But it does not accept HT consumables... Like they aren't even a close fit. The torch was designed to take "plasmadyn" consumables that are nowhere near being able to accept the abundance of HT consumables I have on hand. The underlying reason for ordering this torch, over the Hypertherm branded torch, was I was lead to believe that it was compatible with the parts I already own.

I guess I'm looking for answers to the following questions;

Did I read the description wrong and wrongly assume this was a direct replacement for the HT torch?

Do HT machine torches receive propitiatory consumables, different than those of a hand torch, and I am just unaware of this?

Are these Plasmadyn torch/consumables worth a schit?

I don't want to fire this up to test it out and invalidate any return policy before I get some feedback from anyone who may have experience with these torches. Does anyone have any input here? Thank you all!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Aftermarket (ebay/plasmadyn) machine torch

Post by adbuch »

The listing does say it is a direct replacement for the Hypertherm torch. I think what they mean is that it will plug into the receptacle on the Hypertherm to replace an original OEM torch. They did mention that it uses its own line of consumables, which are shown in the listing photos. If you already have the Hypertherm Duramax hand torch, then you can see the difference between your Hypertherm consumables and those shown in the listing photos. At the Ebay price of $16.99 with free shipping, you could go ahead and try it as it will cost you almost as much as you paid for it to ship it back. On the other hand, if you are planning to use your Hypertherm cut charts for cnc cutting - then I would recommend either buying an OEM Hypertherm Duramax machine torch ($500 to $600) or use your Duramax hand torch for your cnc cutting. I have both the Hypertherm Powermax 85 and 45 xp for my two Plasmacam tables and use the Duramax hand torch for both and they work great.

I would also question if using this Ebay non-OEM torch voids your Hypertherm 3 year warranty (assuming it is still under warranty).
David
China cnc torch for HYpertherm.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

xerofokus wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 pm
Do HT machine torches receive propitiatory consumables, different than those of a hand torch, and I am just unaware of this?

The Hypertherm consumables for the Duramax torches are interchangeable between the hand and machine versions of the torch.
xerofokus wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 pm
Are these Plasmadyn torch/consumables worth a schit?

Probably not.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I would not try to use that on you Hypertherm plasma, Looking at the electrodes and nozzles they look like HF start not Blow Back like Hypertherm.
Next the price being to good, if you look at other similar torches they offer for different plasma unit the price is $300. Smells like a 20 day old fish.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Plasma-Mac ... SwNcReT0jH
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

this is the one of their's that uses hypertherm parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223987967021

the biggest problem is the damn hypertherm connector .... no one seems to sell a copy of that
xerofokus
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xerofokus »

Really wishing I wouldn't have ordered this. lol Now that I have it, I'm thinking about just dissecting it and trying to fit my hand torch internals in the knock-offs body.
xerofokus
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xerofokus »

robertspark wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am the biggest problem is the damn hypertherm connector .... no one seems to sell a copy of that
Which connector are you talking about? The one from the torch lead to the machine? This knock-off has a nearly flawless copy.
xerofokus
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xerofokus »

Alright, I wanted to update this thread. I did send the one that I purchased back to the seller. They were very understanding and willing to refund my money, should I have wanted that. What I was really looking for though was a lesser expensive option to HT's machine torch that was compatible with my stockpile of consumables and they were able to provide what I needed....ish. They do have a torch that will fit HT consumables (minus the electrodes) and that is what I ended up getting from them. Supposedly, it is very difficult to come across the duramax torch connectors so they only had one available at the time, but my new torch came in today and, at least through some test cuts, works amazingly well. Time will tell if it will hold up, but for the time being I am very impressed with the quality and cut results.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the update. Maybe post some photos of your new torch.
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”