powermax 600 not working

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

powermax 600 not working

Post by bigcreek »

I have a powermax 600 that stopped working. It acts as though it isnt getting a ground. I pulled the ground cable off the clamp and cleaned it but it was fine to begin with so it has good contact. I had a spare pac123 torch (I think is what it was) so i put that on there but it did the same thing so it wasnt the torch. It acts as though it wants to fire but just wont initiate the arc, kind of like if you forgot to put the ground clamp on it would melt a slight bit of metal but not enough to cut through it. So air shoots out and it sounds like it should. Ive used this thing for 13 years originally on a plasma table before getting kicked to the curb and used on the floor to cut up skeletons so I definately got my moneys worth out of it but Id like to use it longer yet. Any ideas as to what it could be? Thank you, Josh
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: powermax 600 not working

Post by Old Iron »

I had the same issue with my 600 Thursday and it turned out to be a broken work cable inside the covering. It looked fine but, I had to pull on the clamp to find the separation.
Worked perfect after the repair.
Might go back and check the cable from one end to the other. Continuity checking will not show you this problem.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Thanks for that info Ill take a closer look at the work cable.
Amusselman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Amusselman »

I have new consumables for 600 original torch cheap. I will send photos my email is chu2lai@yahoo.com
HypHyDef
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by HypHyDef »

bigcreek wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:45 am I have a powermax 600 that stopped working. It acts as though it isnt getting a ground. I pulled the ground cable off the clamp and cleaned it but it was fine to begin with so it has good contact. I had a spare pac123 torch (I think is what it was) so i put that on there but it did the same thing so it wasnt the torch. It acts as though it wants to fire but just wont initiate the arc, kind of like if you forgot to put the ground clamp on it would melt a slight bit of metal but not enough to cut through it. So air shoots out and it sounds like it should. Ive used this thing for 13 years originally on a plasma table before getting kicked to the curb and used on the floor to cut up skeletons so I definately got my moneys worth out of it but Id like to use it longer yet. Any ideas as to what it could be? Thank you, Josh
Sorry to hear you are having issues with your PMX600. you can also check with our technical support team about your issue. Hopefully you have it all working as it should. A great way to extend the life out of your system would be to upgrade the torch to the new duramax retrofit torch which will get you access to better consumables and with better cut quality. Obviously as long as your torches are working fine there is no reason to upgrade.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”