Another Voltage divider Q

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Another Voltage divider Q

Post by edclayton1 »

How exactly can I check my voltage divider output voltage at pins 5 and 6 to make sure its working correctly. The instructions I read said to do it with the torch on and at a steady cut height. But dont I need that CPC port hooked up to my PCM in order to make the torch come on. BTW I am using this with a CandCNC DTHC IV system, and I am having DTHC issues only with DTHC turned on. I really don't know exactly where to begin troubleshooting but I thought perhaps its acting up because the HT PM 65 could have an issue rather than the CandCNC equipment is failing. It does seem that I can still see a reasonable voltage on my DRO in the Linux command CNC software but the cut height is way wrong?
Mainly I was just looking here for an explanation of how I can check the divided volt output from the hypertherm to ensure the internal divider is not blown out.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Another Voltage divider Q

Post by acourtjester »

the Hypertherm normally is set for 50 to one output so cutting 1/4" mild steel at 0.060" with shielded 45 amps should be around 2.75 volts at the output of the connecter pin 5 negative and pin 6 positive. You can take the connecter apart very easily the cover just un-screws off the base this should give you access to the pins to check when cutting, with firing controlled by your controller.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Another Voltage divider Q

Post by edclayton1 »

Thanks acourtjester, that makes sense. I finally discovered my main problem. I accidentally had smashed the yellow Ethernet cable under a heavy roll around cart. So I replaced the cable and all is good again. It was a good troubleshooting exercise to refamiliarize myself with the manuals though. It's been quite a while since I read it and since I recalibrated my z axis etc...
I always think the worst, and then it almost always turns out to be something pretty simple or stupid on my part, thank goodness. I was dreading the possibility of the down time if I had to send it in for repair, or to order a new controller at this time, not to mention the possible costs.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”