Warping

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Warping

Post by Maadman »

I am cutting 14 gauge hot rolled P&O on a Torchmate table with the Hypertherm 65. Cutting detailed product, like the tree of life pattern, I am getting some warpage. I keep the water up close to my metal to try and help cool. I use the fine cut consumables with cutter set to 45 amps. I read a comment that someone else will actually spray cold water on top of the steel while it is being cut. Not sure what to think about that. Will I hurt my Hypertherm? I need to do something! I love to cut, but not when it ends up in my scrap metal pile!! Thank you in advance for your help.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Warping

Post by adbuch »

What is your cut speed? You might try staggering your cuts (cut path order) to keep localized heat down. Some software control programs offer this as a selectable option when creating the cut paths. Plasmacam Design Edge offers this, perhaps your software does as well.

You could also try spraying water from a squirt bottle (like a windex bottle) - by that I mean a mist sprayed onto the surface of the metal while you are cutting. I would avoid spraying water right onto the torch.

You might also consider switching to thicker material - that might help as well.

David
Cut Path Order to Reduce heat.jpg
Cut Path Order to Reduce heat.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 464 times
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

if using sheetcam, you could add a delay at the end of each cut operation to allow the plate to cool down.

cut it slowly
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

For some reason my first reply didn't publish, I probably hit the wrong button!
I use Torchmate Cad.
I find the chart very interesting, but can not find one comparable to my cad system. I am going to do some more research on that. I am also going to try using the spray bottle. I have heard of filling the table with enough water that it actually goes over the metal a bit. Does anyone know if that will hurt my torch?
Thank you for the responses I have gotten. Love this forum!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Probably not a good idea to raise your water level above the metal. Could be very detrimental to your torch and consumables.
David
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I knew it couldn't be that easy! Thanks adbuch!
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

It could be you are cutting to slow and putting to much heat into the part, how close are you to book speed? sometimes it can also be in the sheet as well.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I've been cutting a number of years and having lots of fun most of the time! I have done a bunch of calling and experimenting with speed on my machine.. The speed test from Torchmate goes from about 50 in per to 130. I assumed, bad thing to do, that my machine's capability ended at 130. After some research, I found that my max is 175. After testing 5 of my worst "warpers", I am very happy with the results. I will continue to do my other designs at the lower speed, but use the max speed on anything likely to warp.
Thank you everyone for the help!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Happy to hear you've got it "dialed in".
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”