Powermax 45xp Z axis kit?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
ClarKent101
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 45xp Z axis kit?

Post by ClarKent101 »

I'm about to build a new Plasma table and have the official Powermax 45xp CNC torch that comes with the toothed rack on the side.

Does anyone have a kit that they have used with this? How are people using with this torch to control the Z height? I've been looking around for a kit but haven't found anything useful...
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45xp Z axis kit?

Post by djreiswig »

I've not seen anybody use the torch mounted rack. Most use a lead screw.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

ClarKent101 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 am I'm about to build a new Plasma table and have the official Powermax 45xp CNC torch that comes with the toothed rack on the side.

Does anyone have a kit that they have used with this? How are people using with this torch to control the Z height? I've been looking around for a kit but haven't found anything useful...
I believe the rack is for manual adjustment for the installed height in the torch mount bracket. If you are planning to have computer controlled height control, then you will need a 3rd axis (Z) bracket and most use a stepper motor for control. On my Plasmacam tables, the x and y are operated by closed loop servos, and the z is stepper motor running open loop.

David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Indeed the rack on the side is a carry over from way back in the oxy fuel days and used for manual height adjustments. Disregard it and build a lifter to raise and lower the torch with the torch rigidly mounted in the lifter.
ClarKent101
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ClarKent101 »

Thanks all, I'll just go for a standard lifter - can anyone recommend a good solid one I could use?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ClarKent101 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:17 am Thanks all, I'll just go for a standard lifter - can anyone recommend a good solid one I could use?
Are you planning to use THC (torch height control ) or just setting your z height manually like the early Crossfire table? In other words, will you raise and lower your torch using stepper motor under computer control, or just set it manually and do your pierces and cutting at the same height?
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”