FineCut Consumables Heat Emissions

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

FineCut Consumables Heat Emissions

Post by Glstiles »

I was cutting a replacement vent cover for an air return the other day, something with a lot of cut inches very close to each other. Used thermal distortion setting on my Sheetcam but still ended up getting plenty of warpage even after letting cool every few cuts.

My question is this - will the 45 amp FineCut consumables emit any less heat than the standard 45 amp consumables? Also, does my Hypertherm 85 emit anymore heat than something like a Hypertherm 45? Couldnt find any answers anywhere else so figured I would ask. Thanks
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: FineCut Consumables Heat Emissions

Post by adbuch »

Glstiles wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:47 pm will the 45 amp FineCut consumables emit any less heat than the standard 45 amp consumables? Also, does my Hypertherm 85 emit anymore heat than something like a Hypertherm 45? Couldnt find any answers anywhere else so figured I would ask. Thanks
Yes - assuming you have either the 45xp, 65, 85, etc. with Duramax torch, then you can use the FineCuts with the advantages of narrower kerf width, less heat into the part (helps with reducing warping) and better cut details for intricate work. The required FineCut consumables are listed in the Hypertherm Owner's Manual in the section containing the mechanized cut charts.

For the same settings and consumables, the "head emitted" should be the same for either the 45xp or 85. I own and use both for my Plasmacam cutting tables.

I use FineCuts on 10 ga. and thinner steel material with great results.

David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

No doubt you will get a little less heat and warpage with the Finecuts but depending on your design it may not be enough to solve the issue. If you have long straight slots being cut you may want to bridge them in the middle for support. As David said, if you have your Powermax 85 set to 45 amps it should function the same as a 45XP set at 45 amps.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Another option is to break up your cut plan, into cutting some lines being cut in another operation. If you are using a SVG or DXF file for the sheetcam plan, put every other line in a separate a layer to make is easier to separate when cutting. Having 2 or more cutting g-code with allow the metal to cool somewhat. If the metal is thin enough drop the amps for 26 to 20 Ga you can drop to 40 amps, and cut faster like 325 IPM (book speed)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Good call on the amp drop Tom, that may do the trick.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”