45XP CNC Table 1/2” mild steel

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
gtj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

45XP CNC Table 1/2” mild steel

Post by gtj »

Can you recommend using the Hypertherm 45XP on a CNC table for cutting 1/2” steel plate, which is at the limit for this unit pierce/cut thickness?
I had previously settled on the Powermax65 now a Sync system to do 1/2” steel and 1/2” aluminum on a CNC table giving me a little extra wiggle room, but considering going with the 45XP and put the extra $2,000 towards the table. I realize the aluminum thickness will be limited to 3/8” with the 45XP.
Appreciate any input.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45XP CNC Table 1/2” mild steel

Post by djreiswig »

I cut 3/4" & 1" with my 65 using edge starting. I think the limits are somewhat conservative. I have heard that the xp is a pretty good unit. I don't blame you for not wanting to go with the Sync.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Here is what Jim colt said about the two units a few years back:

THE 45xp is a completely new power supply design that produces more cutting power (Wattage) per Amp than its predecessor (the original Powermax45) and is actually very close in cutting power to the Powermax65. This is done by designing an inverter power supply that runs at a higher switching speed. The 45xp also has the ability to run as low as 10 amps, allowing it the ability to mark plate for drill locations, folding/bending locations, weld locations, part numbers, graphics on art pieces. Since the XP has been in the field for over 3 years it has proven to be a very reliable system as well. Bottom line, the 45XP is closer to the performance of the Powermax65 than the original Powermax45 was. Jim Colt
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I cut sheets of 12mm with my 45XP, 12mm is not my favorite, torch parts need to be in tip top condition for the pierce, cutting is easy it's the pierce that gives the trouble, but it gets the job done.
I'd have thought 65a might be a better bet, but my power is maxed out, doubt I would go for one of those sync units though.
45XP is a great machine, runs all day none stop even on 12mm.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

gtj wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:53 am Can you recommend using the Hypertherm 45XP on a CNC table for cutting 1/2” steel plate, which is at the limit for this unit pierce/cut thickness?
I had previously settled on the Powermax65 now a Sync system to do 1/2” steel and 1/2” aluminum on a CNC table giving me a little extra wiggle room, but considering going with the 45XP and put the extra $2,000 towards the table. I realize the aluminum thickness will be limited to 3/8” with the 45XP.
Appreciate any input.
I own and use the 45xp and it is rated up to 5/8" thick steel with edge start. I also have the powermax 85, and both give pretty much identical results for cutting 1/2" steel using the same settings from the Hypertherm mechanized cut charts. With all the problems with the new Sync units (in particular - problems interfacing with thc on some tables, as well as the very high cost of the Sync consumable cartridges) , I would most definitely steer clear and opt for the 45xp. And that additional $2k will most definitely put you ahead going towards your new table. If I personally needed a new plasma cutter with rating higher than the 45xp, I would probably be considering the offerings from Thermal Dynamics.

David
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

:Like :Like :Like
adbuch wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:02 pm
gtj wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:53 am Can you recommend using the Hypertherm 45XP on a CNC table for cutting 1/2” steel plate, which is at the limit for this unit pierce/cut thickness?
Appreciate any input.
I own and use the 45xp and it is rated up to 5/8" thick steel with edge start. I also have the powermax 85, and both give pretty much identical results for cutting 1/2" steel using the same settings from the Hypertherm mechanized cut charts. With all the problems with the new Sync units (in particular - problems interfacing with thc on some tables, as well as the very high cost of the Sync consumable cartridges) , I would most definitely steer clear and opt for the 45xp. And that additional $2k will most definitely put you ahead going towards your new table. If I personally needed a new plasma cutter with rating higher than the 45xp, I would probably be considering the offerings from Thermal Dynamics.

David
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
gtj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by gtj »

Very appreciative of all the above very informative responses which make my decision making easier.
Great forum with many knowledgeable and experienced people willing to share their opinions.
Hopefully I can contribute in the future.
Thanks Again
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I know the 45XP will do a good job cutting 1/2" however how much 1/2" do you have to cut would be my first question. If you just need to cut a piece here and there that is one thing however the 45XP is rated to cut 1/2" at 18ipm so a little math will tell you how far you can cut before your reach the machines duty cycle and need to stop and let it cool off. The Powermax 85 however is rated to cut 1/2" at 45ipm allowing you to cut much further, faster, maybe get the job done before it reaches its duty cycle. If I was cutting 1/2" often I would want a larger machine for sure. I am not thrilled with the SYNC stuff yet either but you will get frustrated hitting the duty cycle on a 45XP all the time. I had to cut a bunch of 6" diam. donuts from 1/2" aluminum with my 65 a couple years ago and frequent stops to let things cool of was a major time killer and source of frustration.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

weldguy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:03 am however the 45XP is rated to cut 1/2" at 18ipm so a little math will tell you how far you can cut before your reach the machines duty cycle and need to stop and let it cool off.
Even in summer time when shop can get to 30c I have cut 12mm all day long with the 45XP cutting base plates, never once had it shut down for overheating, I have had it 4.5yrs now it cuts nearly all day long 6 days a week, even cutting 20mm I haven't had any overheat issues, not full sheets though!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

SeanP wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:17 pm
weldguy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:03 am however the 45XP is rated to cut 1/2" at 18ipm so a little math will tell you how far you can cut before your reach the machines duty cycle and need to stop and let it cool off.
Even in summer time when shop can get to 30c I have cut 12mm all day long with the 45XP cutting base plates, never once had it shut down for overheating, I have had it 4.5yrs now it cuts nearly all day long 6 days a week, even cutting 20mm I haven't had any overheat issues, not full sheets though!
Impressive machine that's for sure. Great real world review SeanP, that should help the OP determine if this is for him. I believe the 45XP has a 50% duty cycle on the typical 240v connection so you he can always set his rapids to a slower speed to give the 45XP some breathing time between cuts and keep it off the duty cycle if he's cutting a lot of 1/2"
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I would stay clear of sync as well, some reason the discussion on that forum got locked. I had the chance to see one at a local shop, the handle looks like it belongs somewhere on a smartphone. Id like to see it when it drops on the floor a few times. They say the new system is better, yet told me specifically that when I use the new cartridge with my older powermax that the tip will last longer than it will with the new power supply. That is no improvement.In their own words the previous system was better. 45 will cut all day wide open
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

That's strange. I've never seen a locked thread here before.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=33065
Wonder who locked it. Maybe HyperHyDef didn't like our feedback on the SYNC.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

djreiswig wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:44 pm That's strange. I've never seen a locked thread here before.
It ended up way off topic from the original discussion, morphed into a discussion on press breaks and other things so we locked it. Had nothing to do with Hypertherm or any member. It has been long enough we can unlock that discussion now and will do so. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, its a good discussion that should continue.
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
SegoMan DeSigns

Pspider Support wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:59 am
djreiswig wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:44 pm That's strange. I've never seen a locked thread here before.
It ended up way off topic from the original discussion, morphed into a discussion on press breaks and other things so we locked it. Had nothing to do with Hypertherm or any member. It has been long enough we can unlock that discussion now and will do so. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, its a good discussion that should continue.
Guilty as charged :Yay However in my defense all parts were cut by Hypertherm machines :HaHa
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:30 pm
Pspider Support wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:59 am
Guilty as charged :Yay However in my defense all parts were cut by Hypertherm machines :HaHa
It's all good SegoMan, in fact I really enjoyed looking over your press break build and moved it to its own separate topic for others to enjoy :Like :Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
SegoMan DeSigns

Pspider Support wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:47 pm It's all good SegoMan, in fact I really enjoyed looking over your press break build and moved it to its own separate topic for others to enjoy :Like :Like
:Like :Like Thanks Man :Like :Like
gtj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by gtj »

Thanks again to everyone for the informative comments.
Placed an order for the 45XP hand and machine torch. (088123)
Next up will be a CNC plasma table, most likely being the Langmuir Crossfire Pro.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

gtj wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:27 pm Thanks again to everyone for the informative comments.
Placed an order for the 45XP hand and machine torch. (088123)
Next up will be a CNC plasma table, most likely being the Langmuir Crossfire Pro.
You can't go wrong with the Langmuir! Combined with your 45xp, you should have a winning combination.
David
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”