CNC interface help needed. Replacing TD120 with Powersync 85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

CNC interface help needed. Replacing TD120 with Powersync 85

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

Hello
So I had a Thermal Dynamic A120 and it puked on me so I am changing to a Powersync 85. The 85 is in transit right now but I would like to do some groundwork before it gets here so that I can get cutting ASAP.
I am wondering if anyone can help me with CNC Interface cabling change. I have diagrams of both interface ports just want to confirm that if I move pins around to match the new CNC port on the Powermax SYNC everything will work and I won't fry anything.
I've attached a picture of the Thermal Dynamic port. On pages 27 and 28 in the Powersynce manual, they have images of the CNC port on their machine. Do I just simply move the pins to the corresponding number on the other machine.
Thermal Dynamic
Pin 3 and 4 are, stop and start
Pin 14 and 12 are, Ok to move
Hypertherm is
pin 3 and 4 are start and stop too, It only says start but I assume that means stop as well.
Pin 14 and 12 are ARC Transfer

Is Arc Transfer and Ok to move the same thing?

I am wiring it into an old Torchmate system with the blue screen THC so that is 2 stand alone wires running direct to studs inside my old Thermal Dynamic machine.
Where so those run to on the Hypertherm?
I have really never used that because it hasn't worked, but I am getting a refrigerated air dryer and hope that dry air may make that work better along with a new plasma.

Does this make sense?
Any help would be great!
Attachments
Hypertherm.png
Hypertherm.png (69.57 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Thermal Dynamic.png
Thermal Dynamic.png (41.92 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Document_2022-06-18_095122.pdf
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC interface help needed. Replacing TD120 with Powersync 85

Post by djreiswig »

Yes on start/stop & okay to move.
The other 2 wires are for arc voltage for torch height control. Do you have a THC?
Does your TD have a voltage divider or are those wires hooked to the work lead and the torch lead directly? The Hypertherm has an internal voltage divider if you ordered it with the CPC connection. If your THC can use divided volts, I would use the pins in the CPC for your THC voltage. You'll have to open the case and set the selector for the correct division setting.
If not, then you can connect to the RAW voltage in the case. If you follow the work lead and torch lead inside you will see where they attach to the board. Connect your wires to those terminals.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”