Hypertherm 65 CNC THC issues

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Metallwerke
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm 65 CNC THC issues

Post by Metallwerke »

Hello, I'm pretty new into the plasma cutting and I'm looking for some adivce regarding installing a THC.

I bought a home made CNC from a friend with a proma SD THC but it was not wired, he was using a Hypertherm 45 machine and I bought a Hypertherm 65. (I use Mach3 as software)
I used it for a 5 months now without the THC but it gave me a lot of headaches and lost a lot of material and consumables because of the nozzle hitting the material and getting stuck so I decided to install it for myself, watched some tutorials did all the wiring, the Z axis is entirely wired through the THC and the THC is wired into the plasma, I think its called raw and not into the 50:1 ports.
Nothing exploded when I started it so I guess it's wired ok-ish, the issue is that it's not moving the Z axis when put into test mode.
I spent an entire day looking at how the drivers are wired since I didn't do it myself and had to understand how it was built.
I can attach photos or videos if required.

Thanks in advance and sorry for some of my spelling issues.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 65 CNC THC issues

Post by adbuch »

I think this is one for Tom or robertspark to chime in on. But perhaps some photos and diagrams of your wiring would be helpful in diagnosing your problem. What about when you are actually cutting? Does it move the Z axis then, and if so have you paused it during cutting and actually measured your cut height?
David
Metallwerke
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metallwerke »

Thank you Adbuch, I have made a diagram and attached some photos.

I know some of you maybe will scratch their eyes but the setup is provisory and I will have to do a full rebuild soon if I run into other issues since it will be way easier.

For some unknown reason the Z axis is connected to the circuit board where the AN AD AS AE and not to the ZN ZD ZS ZE I don't know if that may cause any issues.
Attachments
Driver wiring
Driver wiring
Circuit board wiring
Circuit board wiring
Proma SD wiring
Proma SD wiring
Hypertherm board wiring
Hypertherm board wiring
Diagrams
Diagrams
Last edited by Metallwerke on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

What about when you are actually cutting? Does it move the Z axis then, and if so have you paused it during cutting and actually measured your cut height?
David
Metallwerke
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metallwerke »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:35 am What about when you are actually cutting? Does it move the Z axis then, and if so have you paused it during cutting and actually measured your cut height?
David
Nope, it doesn't move the Z axis during cutting.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok there are something to clear up, not sure why you went to the circuit board inside the 65. There should be a jack on the back that has the output for the 50:1 connections(pages 3-18 & 19 pins 5 is - and 6 is +). If you have the remote switch that Hypertherm supplies, you can get pins to add to it for this. If not I can supply the numbers for ordering from a supplier to buy the parts, much less than Hyperther. Next the SD is a stand along THC meaning it goes between the BOB and driver Manual pages 5 and 6 shows the hook up. see attached manual. This means the signal from the BOB for the Z axis
driver is switched by the SD. When a non THC operation happens the BOB signal passes through the SD to the driver, with a THC operation the signals are switch from the BOB to the SD for moving the Z axis. Use the search function here to find info about the SD, it seems to be a problematic unit compared to the 150 version. the 150 is wired differently as it sends up/down signals to the BOB and the BOB is in full control of the Z axis, sorry.
In you diagram the dir wire should go to the AD or dir input and the step should go to the AS, I have never used the enable AE connection.
I guess the other guy blew out the Z output and is using the A output. the AN should go to the step - and dir - as that is the return signal for the driver signal.
Proma thcsd_en.pdf
(490.21 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by acourtjester on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

parts for the plug you need the plug and back shell and get about 10 pins
hyperthern CNC plug parts.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:52 pm Ok there are something to clear up, not sure why you went to the circuit board inside the 65. There should be a jack on the back that has the output for the 50:1 connections(pages 3-18 & 19 pins 5 is - and 6 is +). If you have the remote switch that Hypertherm supplies, you can get pins to add to it for this. If not I can supply the numbers for ordering from a supplier to buy the parts, much less than Hyperther. Next the SD is a stand along THC meaning it goes between the BOB and driver Manual pages 5 and 6 shows the hook up. see attached manual. This means the signal from the BOB for the Z axis
driver is switched by the SD. When a non THC operation happens the BOB signal passes through the SD to the driver, with a THC operation the signals are switch from the BOB to the SD for moving the Z axis. Use the search function here to find info about the SD, it seems to be a problematic unit compared to the 150 version. the 150 is wired differently as it sends up/down signals to the BOB and the BOB is in full control of the Z axis, sorry.
In you diagram the dir wire should go to the AD or dir input and the step should go to the AS, I have never used the enable AE connection.
I guess the other guy blew out the Z output and is using the A output. the AN should go to the step - and dir - as that is the return signal for the driver signal.
Proma thcsd_en.pdf
Tom - are you referring to the CPC port on the back of the Hypertherm? If so, not all of these machines came with the CPC port. My 45xp and powermax 85 do not have the CPC port. But this is something that can be retrofitted. Hypertherm offers a CPC retrofit kit to accomplish this.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I think the CPC port is for another option for remote current control, the attached image shows the port.
The ones I bought also had a remote power box and cable which I converted to be used with the controller for CNC use.
plasma port.JPG
plasma port.JPG (18.82 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Last edited by acourtjester on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Metallwerke
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metallwerke »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:52 pm Ok there are something to clear up, not sure why you went to the circuit board inside the 65. There should be a jack on the back that has the output for the 50:1 connections(pages 3-18 & 19 pins 5 is - and 6 is +). If you have the remote switch that Hypertherm supplies, you can get pins to add to it for this. If not I can supply the numbers for ordering from a supplier to buy the parts, much less than Hyperther. Next the SD is a stand along THC meaning it goes between the BOB and driver Manual pages 5 and 6 shows the hook up. see attached manual. This means the signal from the BOB for the Z axis
Proma thcsd_en.pdf
OK, thank you very much for your elaborate answer then I guess I'll better get the 150 and maybe even swap the Bob since the Z is indeed fried.

Sadly my 65 machine doesn't have the ports you mentioned so I will have to retrofit if I want the pins to connect it directly through them.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I believe that the CPC Port upgrade includes the voltage divider with selectable values. In the case of Plasmacam tables, the CPC port is required for machine torch applications, while it is not needed for hand torch applications. In my case, I am using the Duramax hand torch and the Plasmacam torch control cable has an integral voltage divider. If I were using the Hypertherm machine torch, then I would need to add the CPC upgrade plus purchase the correct torch control cable - available from either Jim Colt or Robert Johnson.
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”