Hypertherm Powermax 1650 won't fire

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Pseudo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hypertherm Powermax 1650 won't fire

Post by Pseudo »

Hi
As part of an internship, I'm asked to make an Hypertherm PM1650 work for a cutting table, I found this forum while looking for answers, so I made this account to ask of someone can help me with this
The place I work at bought it a couple years ago from a company that went under, and it came with a Koike Monograph cutting table

The main issue is that whenever I start a cutting program, it stops right as the torch is supposed to fire (without firing of course)
After some testing, and dismantling the whole thing then putting it back together, I think the problem comes frome the Powermax, since it seems the airflow switch (right where the plasma system connects to the torch's cable) doesn't open when trying to fire the torch
It is worth to mention that the red indicator on the Powermax is lit up for ten seconds after failing, and the manual indicates that it means the consumables are stuck, which make sense if there isn't any airflow to lift the electrode

We tried replacing the switch, and also the consumables just in case, but nothing seems to work

I already made another post about this on another forum I found, but I figured I'd have a lot more chance by asking more people
Pseudo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 1650 won't fire

Post by Pseudo »

Not long after posting this I manage to fire the plasma arc, turns out the red wire inside the torch was burnt and disconnected
However, while cutting, the air pressure seems to drop lower than the optimal value required for cutting, and then it's only a question of time until I get an error
Does anyone know how to prevent this?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Pseudo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:42 am Not long after posting this I manage to fire the plasma arc, turns out the red wire inside the torch was burnt and disconnected
However, while cutting, the air pressure seems to drop lower than the optimal value required for cutting, and then it's only a question of time until I get an error
Does anyone know how to prevent this?
Install a pressure gauge at the entrance port to you plasma cutter an make sure you have sufficient air pressure while air is flowing thru the torch. For Hypertherm I like to have 100 psi. If you don't have this, then check your air lines, filters, etc. to make sure you have no restrictions in the air lines from the compressor to the cutter.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I'm with David on the pressure gauge install. It is likely that you have a plugged filter somewhere or your air line is too small. I believe Hypertherm calls for a 3/8" ID air line.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I run 3/4" copper from the compressor to the refrigerated dryer, and then 3/8" from the dryer to the plasma cutter.
David
Pseudo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Pseudo »

Thanks for the replies
We were using an air line less than 1/4" ID (it was 6mm ID) so that's probably the issue

Since our compressor is a bit far, we thought about using around 3/5" to replace it
We're also going to install a gauge
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pseudo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:53 am Thanks for the replies
We were using an air line less than 1/4" ID (it was 6mm ID) so that's probably the issue

Since our compressor is a bit far, we thought about using around 3/5" to replace it
We're also going to install a gauge
:Like :Like :Like
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ya that air line will be your problem, have seen that many times. Nice when its and easy fix :Like :Like

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”