Bypass compressor? Powermax 30 Air

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
2point2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Bypass compressor? Powermax 30 Air

Post by 2point2 »

I like me the specs of the powermax 30 but found a good deal on a powermax 30 Air..

I'm skeptical about the air system as it looks and sounds like a typical econo air compressor. I have really bad experiences with cheapo compressors for years.

Am I underestimating the air comp abilities\reliability?

Anyone see any issue bypassing the air comp with
Shop air? Is this a waste of effort?

Thanks.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bypass compressor? Powermax 30 Air

Post by weldguy »

I am sure you could bypass the internal compressor and use shop air but unless its a steal of a deal its likely not worth the effort.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I’d think the compressor may be tied into the duty cycle so neither the machine or compressor are over taxed and stressed. Don’t adhere to duty cycle and bad things can happen.
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

There is no way a good quality commercial long life compressor will fit into a plasma unit housing. Those air units IMO are for the weekend hobby or the worker on the mobile jobsite doing a few cuts here and there.
2point2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 2point2 »

cutnweld wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 pm There is no way a good quality commercial long life compressor will fit into a plasma unit housing. Those air units IMO are for the weekend hobby or the worker on the mobile jobsite doing a few cuts here and there.
This is mostly my point.

The cutting specs and reputation of hyperterm appears to be good for a hardcore hobbyist but I didn't want to use the compressor unless, for example, I haul it over to a friend's house. Why wear it out?

Btw, the features beyond the compressor seem great and could compliment shop air. aftercooler and dryer from what I gather.

For the powermax 30 air users, how much do you use it and have you had issues with the air system?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

2point2 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:12 am I like me the specs of the powermax 30 but found a good deal on a powermax 30 Air..

I'm skeptical about the air system as it looks and sounds like a typical econo air compressor. I have really bad experiences with cheapo compressors for years.

Am I underestimating the air comp abilities\reliability?

Anyone see any issue bypassing the air comp with
Shop air? Is this a waste of effort?

Thanks.
I would steer clear. The air is not intended for cnc plasma cutting and I think you would be very unhappy with it. Even the powermax 30 is marginal at best. A better choice would be an older used powermax 45, or the newer version 45xp. If you don't have your heart set on Hypertherm, there are other "budget" cutters that may work well for you.

David
2point2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 2point2 »

adbuch wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:49 amIf you don't have your heart set on Hypertherm, there are other "budget" cutters that may work well for you.
I missed a deal on an 45XP a month ago and still kicking myself. There's been a (basically new) eastwood versacut 40 for sale down the street but the reviews are from one extreme to another for that machine.

What other budget cutters do you guys recommend?

Looking for:
- something i can buy parts for (In Canada\USA)
- a unit that doesn't go through a lot of consumables. (this seems to be an issue with cheaper units? eg. eastwood.)
- a unit that has a good knowledge base on here and other forums.
- IGBT preferred but I could change my mind.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

If it was me I would save up and by the hypertherm 45 XP, I looked for a couple of months and found one lightly used And have zero problems with it .

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”