What could cause this SYNC tip to blow out in only 15 minutes?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

What could cause this SYNC tip to blow out in only 15 minutes?

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

The attached pictures are what the tip looked like and what started happening only 15 minutes after installing that cartridge brand new. I have a refrigerated air dryer and 3 water separators, and filter modules before the refer unit. I do not have a functional THC it is an old Torchmate table with the torque sensing Z axis that just rebounds X amount after contacting the plate. So I have to bump it around if the plate warps. Does anyone have an idea?
85amp Powermax Sync on an TM3 Torchmate
-5154718907578297130_121.jpg
-5154718907578297081_121.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What could cause this SYNC tip to blow out in only 15 minutes?

Post by adbuch »

I would make sure that you are cutting at the Hypertherm "book" height for your sync. It looks like you might be cutting too high. Also make sure your other settings: cut speed, amps, etc. are correct for the material and thickness you are attempting to cut. Also make sure your torch is actually perpendicular to the material surface.

David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

That is an 'A' revision fine cut cartridge. Take/Send it back to your welding supplier to get it replaced under warranty with a 'B' revision cartridge. They work much better.

* They will warranty any of these you have, used or new.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

As David stated you could be cutting too high but also maybe it came into contact with the material either when it was piercing or during the cut. Sounds like your air should be clean and dry but if not that will do it also, to determine this with a Sync cartridge you will need to take it apart and examine for black carbon stains inside the nozzle and around the electrode. Takes Roberts advice and take all your old style cartridges back used or new for replacement.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There was a post on Facebook with a guy complaining of the same thing (I could not find it, not good with Facebook operations) form both that and yours. I think it is a air flow issue which directs the plasma stream, blowing out the hole in the nozzle. I wonder how much Bata testing was done before production and shipping out to customers??
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:08 pm There was a post on Facebook with a guy complaining of the same thing (I could not find it, not good with Facebook operations) form both that and yours. I think it is a air flow issue which directs the plasma stream, blowing out the hole in the nozzle. I wonder how much Bata testing was done before production and shipping out to customers??
Tom - as Robert has mentioned - and this has been well documented - the initial Hypertherm offering for these FineCuts had some design flaws. Hence the revised design which has now been tested with great results. So Hypertherm will replace these (used or not) with the revised consumables. However I do agree that there may have been other factors at play here as well for this particular situation.

David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”