Hypertherm Sync Cartridge Review

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hypertherm Sync Cartridge Review

Post by Gogo »

I think there has be a bit of controversy on these when they came out. I'm usually a sucker for new tech, so I bought one for my older 65Amp unit, it was the fine cut and yes I did have to get the adapter. So I forked over the dough. So far, I am very happy with the fine cut unit at least. I have well ofer 2000 pierces on it and a fair amount of cutting as it is my main go to. So yesterday I did a little experiment. I put back on the old style tip with a 45 amp fine cut nozzle, the nozzle was a knock off I think with great reviews ( bought for hand cut long ago) but the rest of the components were genuine. Nozzle had never been used. I cut the same file I had cut the day before with the Sync cart and the results were surprising; the back of the piece is the most telling. The Sync cartridge with over 2000 pierces still performed way better than the brand new knock off. I would expect new to new the genuine would be better, but not after 2000 pierces. Below is the pic, there was one minor change to the file as you can see but the post settings were identical. I did not have/could not find a fine cut 45 genuine. I know it's not scientific but good enough for me to make a decision. I am getting fantastic cuts out of this with that cartridge and my settings. I'll save those consumables for my hand torch, my machine torch will now only see the Sync on 45 amp cuts.
IMG_5450.jpg
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sync Review

Post by djreiswig »

Did you adjust the cut height when going from the sync to the standard consumables? I believe the sync cuts higher.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

They were both cut at .06 with a .15 pierce height and .04 delay at 150IPM from the manual. If I am supposed to cut higher with the sync I did not know as It cuts pretty darn perfect at .06
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Gogo wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:41 am They were both cut at .06 with a .15 pierce height and .04 delay at 150IPM from the manual. If I am supposed to cut higher with the sync I did not know as It cuts pretty darn perfect at .06
You will find the mechanized cut charts for the Sync versions here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... MijKIDBbp5

David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Definitely use the SYNC charts. They do cut a little better I think but the speeds and heights are absolutely different.
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm Sync Cartridge Review

Post by Gogo »

thanks all, I do not have the sync machine just the cart on an older Powermax65. I will download the cut chart now and see, It cuts great at the old settings so excited to see what I get with those,. Appreciate the input. fairly new to this but learning a ton searching and reading, this is a great resource.

Edit to add, I just checked them out and they are very different. I will do a couple of test cuts, the only thing that could get better is the dross, boy will I be happy if this makes that better. Probably also makes the nozzle last longer I am guessing. Thanks again.
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

Did a test coupon this morning with the sync settings. I actually damaged the cut on top by hitting it with my usual knotted wheel after I took it off the table. there was zero dross on the top. The dross fell off bottom pretty easily on the full speed portions. I also redid the test with a genuine fine cut nozzle. good but not as good as the well used Sync cart easily. I'm sold. Thanks a ton for the input. this place is a gold mine of information.

For reference the circle is .5 in cut at 5O% speed in sheetcam Still have to fine tune my pierce settings and again, I dulled the cut significantly. it was sharp as a knife before the wire cup.
cut.jpg
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Thanks for the review - I do like them a lot. So handy to swap and as you show, great cut quality!
mckee ironworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mckee ironworks »

The only reason SYNC came out is because you can buy AFTERMARKET consumables. nothing new here besides profit . SYNC= Rip off!!!!
Someone had to say it.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

The SYNC cartridges will be reverse engineered and counterfeited in time..
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I am not sure if the new machines are quite the same tho either. When we had the zoom meeting with hypertherm engineers they admitted that using the adapter with the old machine the cartridges lasted longer than using the cartridge on the new designated sync machine... I have stated in other forums that I like the sync finecut. However I do not like anything else sync. Only tried the 45 amp one, cant afford to try an 85. Fine cut costs 80 CAD. 45 amp costs around 100 before tax. Is the 85 amp going to cost $200 or what? When I am running max volts arc stretched max for several hours on one duramax stack, I like the freedom to replace a 10 dollar nozzle when it wears. I am physically and mentally able to see which parts need changed. If I am not then its time for me to look for a different job like shelling peas or trimming the roadside. :HaHa No I dont care who uses them and who doesnt. But I think their engineers have reasons other than ease of use in mind.
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

i only use the fine cut as well. but i like it. with what i learned here i’m getting increasingly better cuts and i have stopped using knotted wire brushes as it now makes things much worse.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I helped a shop get their SYNC 85 set up properly. We cut a full sheet of 3/4 that was nested with about 30 pipe flanges of varying size. Lots of pierces and ~1" diameter holes. The cartridge was not at end of life after that full sheet and the cuts still looked good.

From what I can see on websites i.e. Baker's Gas, the cartridges are all about the same price for mechanized cutting....

US$
Fine Cut $55
45a $53
65a $53
85a $53
105a $55

https://bakersgas.com/search?product_ty ... Hypertherm
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

I want to see multiple sheets cut of the same item , sync v. s. Old style consumables . Then do the math on cost .
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That might be unrealistic. You'd need to get someone with both cutters and that is unlikely. I trust Robert's assessment. But if you are happy with the older non-sync machine, as I am, the that's fine as well.

David
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

I think it is safe to say the the Sync consumables will cost more without doing all the testing. With stacked consumables you can mix and match based on what your cutting and what component has life left in it. For example some jobs don't require a super square edge or maximum cut quality so I will mix and match used consumables to do those jobs and typically I can use 1 electrode to 2 nozzles in my everyday cutting. My consumable costs are super low, no way to beat it with Sync. However for large shops with some bonehead running the machine I am sure it saves them time and money. An option for either Sync or stack would be ideal.
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I 1000% agree with Jim's knowledgeable assessment in that thread. The problem is that small operators often cannot get past the initial sticker price even if long term operation and profitability numbers would show it to be a net positive. This is seen in initial equipment purchases all the way down to consumables.

IF a machine is performing well AND maintaining the proper cut height over the life of consumables, on a Hypertherm machine, the cost per inch/foot/mile that can be attributed to the consumable cost is pennies. No matter if it is a Duramax stack or a SYNC cartridge.

Also, businesses can increase profit one of two ways - reduce cost or increase price. I submit that often times, those complaining about negligible costs are those that need to increase their price in the first place. Either that or they are really doing OK and just don't know their direct costs.

Selling price is a function of direct cost, overhead, and desired profit. A good example of this is in my HVAC business. We stock only a US made multi-fit capacitor rather than carry 20 different cheaper capacitors on the truck. The multi-fit is US made and has a 5-year guarantee. The cheap dual capacitors have no warranty from the supply house which means I have to eat any replacements - some are US made but many are from Mexico, Indonesia, and the like. For a service call to replace a capacitor, the one I use costs me $60 (I keep 2 on the truck so $120 stocked). My overhead is ~30% and my desired profit is 20% so I divide that by .5 (which in this case is the same as doubling it) so I sell it for $120. I have a labor rate based on the same profit and overhead costs that is $120 per hour and it takes about an hour to change the capacitor and check the entire system's operation. I charge my customer $240 plus a $65 dispatch fee which covers truck and travel expense so $305 total with a 5 year warranty on that part and labor. My competitors stock the assortment of cheap ones that cost around $12 each (let's say 20 variants so $240 stocked). They triple the cost (fun business math) so sell for $36 plus $120 (I don't think they charge anything for dispatch) so around $150-200. They guarantee the cheap little thing for a year so any failures are 100% out of their pocket. I gross $245 profit and stock only $120 worth of parts, they gross $130-190 profit and stock $240 in parts. (shrug)

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”