Powermax 85 divider board with hand torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
dsanford55
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powermax 85 divider board with hand torch

Post by dsanford55 »

some time back I had a divider board go out on a Powermax 85 and couldn't wait for the techs to repair the machine so I purchased a 65.
Will the 85 operate properly using a handheld torch?
Do I need to disconnect the divider board to operate a manual hand held torch?
Is there anything else I might have to do to operate a manual hand held torch?
thx
hypertherm powermax 85-3.jpg
hypertherm powermax 85-1.jpg
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85 divider board

Post by rdj357 »

I assume you mean to use a hand torch and cut by hand? (not clamped in a CNC table)

If so, the machine will recognize that you are using a hand torch and the CPC will not be in use. If the divider board is bad to the point that it causes issues with hand cutting then it can be disconnected internally. The divider board and CPC port are installed as a kit so it is not needed at all, nor will it interfere with hand cutting assuming it is not burnt to a crisp shorting something out.
dsanford55
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dsanford55 »

Yes, that is correct, I want to use the manual torch for manual hand held operations. The 85 would be a stand alone unit not connected to the CNC in any way.

Currently I do not have a manual torch, is there anyway to test before I purchase a manual torch?
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

There is no way to test that I'm aware of without having the torch. As long as the problem with the CPC was an arc voltage/height control problem then I see no obvious reason why there would be any problem using a hand torch.

www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com shows to have hand Duramax torches in stock and they have a 14-day return policy (they have to receive it back in 14 days or there is a 20% restocking fee) so no risk to get it, plug in and try it. If not, send it back or use it elsewhere.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”