PowerMax 45XP w/PlasmaCam table

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
MrT1991
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PowerMax 45XP w/PlasmaCam table

Post by MrT1991 »

Hey everyone. I have a powermax 45xp running with a plasmacam 4x4 table. Recently just started running into a new problem.

The torch is sitting in one place after firing. It will not move through the cut path. The torch will arch off like normal but never move. Eventually the torch will cut off and the plasmacam software says lost cutting signal check wiring. The gantry is free and moving correctly. I can turn off the auto cut and the gantry will trace the cut path with no issues. I called PlasmaCam thinking it was the gantry or software. I was told the most likely cause is the 45xp not sending the correct minimum voltage signal to the controller. The setting in the design edge software has a check box for "wait for minium signal before moving". There is a box for the minium input shows 3 volts and a maximum input shows 11 volts.

I have no idea how to check if my 45xp is sending the correct minimum voltage to my plasmacam controller.
Any advice is very much appreciated. I plan to call support line for my 45xp tomorrow.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PowerMax 45XP w/PlasmaCam table

Post by adbuch »

Do you have sufficient air pressure to the plasma cutter? It is best to install an inline air pressure gauge directly at the air entrance to the plasma cutter. Set your air pressure so that you have a constant 100 psi at the entrance to the plasma cutter while air is flowing thru the torch and the plasma cutter is cutting.

Is this a new (to you) table that you are just trying to get cutting, or is this a table that you have had that worked properly before and is just now experiencing this problem? Are you using the CPC port torch control cable, and if so do you have the CPC voltage divider set properly? If no CPC port, are you using the Plasmacam supplied torch control cable with integral voltage divider? For a new install, the Video Manual Chapter 4, Required Tests describes how to test the arc voltage, along with the trigger test and activate trigger test. Have you performed these tests and if so, were the results in agreement with the values specified in the manual?

Let us know the answers to these questions and we can proceed from there.

David
tests.jpg
Required Tests
Test trigger circuit
The torch trigger should be released (not held closed) for the following tests.
Plug the manual jumper into the torch control connector, and disconnect the two 1/4-inch terminals.
Set the meter to measure voltage in the 100V range, then connect each terminal to a probe of the meter. Without
touching any of the wiring, turn on the power at the plasma cutter and squeeze the trigger of the torch to observe
the voltage reading. Measure in both AC and DC range, using the setting that gives the higher reading.
If the reading is above 45VAC or 60VDC, you must install an intermediate trigger relay. (Choose a relay that can
switch the high power of the plasma cutter trigger circuit with an input power that is below these limits.) If you do
not measure any voltage when you squeeze the trigger, or if the reading does not decrease when you release the
trigger, something has been wired incorrectly.
Set the meter to measure current in the highest range available and use AC or DC range, depending on what you
used to measure the voltage. Verify that the current reading is zero when the trigger is released.
Without touching any of the wiring, have someone carefully cut something with the torch while you measure the
current at the meter. If the current measures more than 100mA (or 0.1A), you must install an intermediate trigger
relay. Turn off the power at the plasma cutter.
Test arc voltage
Reconnect the two 1/4-inch terminals of the manual jumper.
Set the meter to measure continuity, and verify that continuity is present between the remaining black wire of the
jumper and the work clamp. Plug the probes into the unconnected red and black wires of the jumper, according to
color.
Set the meter to measure voltage in the 100VDC range. Without touching any of the wiring, turn on the power at
the plasma cutter and have someone carefully cut something with the torch while you measure the voltage
reading. It should measure between -3 and -10 V during cutting. If this is not the case, or if the voltage does not
measure zero when the trigger is released, something has been wired incorrectly.
If any of the tests fail, disconnect the torch control cable from the cutter, and reconnect the cut trigger wire by
plugging the two 1/4-inch terminals into each other. If the cutter now works correctly, check the torch control
cable. If no problem is found in the cable, the cutter may be defective or incompatible and should be repaired or
replaced with a different type.
Turn off the power at the plasma cutter. Unplug the manual jumper and store it in a safe place as you will need it
in order to use the plasma cutter for manual cutting.
Activate trigger
Use the removable cable tie included with your machine to firmly hold the trigger switch closed on the torch.
Otherwise, you may experience problems cutting because your cutter may fail intermittently. Use another method
to clamp the trigger down if the cable tie is not adequate.
The plasma cutter is now ready for use with the machine.
To use the plasma cutter for manual cutting, first remove the cable tie from the trigger of the torch. Then plug the
manual jumper into the torch control cable and make sure the two trigger wires are connected. The trigger will
now activate the cutting. Never connect the manual jumper when the trigger is held down with the cable tie.
If desired, the torch control cable can be removed at a later time. Just disconnect all its wires from inside the
plasma cutter. Reconnect the cut trigger wire by plugging the two 1/4-inch terminals into each other. Also plug the
hole left by the strain relief.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Open machine diagnostics, check the ‘trigger control’ box to fire the torch and note what the voltage is before and during firing. That will tell you exactly whether or not that is the problem. Should be 1.1x (flickering around at that) when not firing and rise to 5-8 volts when firing.
MrT1991
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MrT1991 »

Just fired it up this morning. Machine cut normally for about 15 mins then it lost the cutting signal again. Im going to start running through the voltage tests now. Im attaching a few pictures for reference. My 45xp is wired exactly how its show in the Video Manual on my plasmacam software using the cable they provided.

I have one in line air filter install before the air filter built into the 45xp. My air quality is good. My compressor holds a steady pressure of 100psi or better.

I have ran this plasma table for over 10 years. Recently in the last 2 years upgraded to the 45xp. Just started having these problems.
Attachments
Wiring Cable
Wiring Cable
1678372495254289449676018436828.jpg
Two Air Filters
Two Air Filters
Machine Diagnostics Volt Reading Zero
Machine Diagnostics Volt Reading Zero
Cutting signal error
Cutting signal error
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Any error lights on the Hypertherm when it stops? Have to determine if it is giving an error because the torch stops firing or there is a wiring problem. If the torch is stopping, why? If it is a wiring problem, at what point in which circuit is there a problem? I will assume it's not a height control problem lifting the torch off the material and breaking the arc as you said you've been running it a while and would have likely brought that up already.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Change to new consumables. Check your cut speed setting. Upload the file that you are trying to cut so I can see if there is an issue there. FEEL the controller box to see if it is heating up for that 15 minutes prior to failure. Use a laser thermometer if you have one, or buy one at Harbor Freight.

Does this happen when you draw test cuts, such as a series of 2" circles? Have you changed anything in your shop recently, like adding the cheap Chinese LED shop lights over the table or the computer?

Use diagnostics in the software to determine whether the encoders in the gantry and carriage motors are working properly, and not losing steps.

Finally, remove the control panel from the front of the controller box to rule out a short in the potentiometer beneath the round black knob. MAYBE there is a short, and the computer is thinking you rotated the knob fully counterclockwise, thus setting cut speed to zero.

Where are you located?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”