Sync 45 fine cut problems

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Sync 45 fine cut problems

Post by rick_b »

Is anyone still having problems with the new type B Sync 45 fine cuts?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sync 45 fine cut problems

Post by adbuch »

Not that I have heard of. What sorts of problems are you having?
David
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

We are constantly getting "stuck consumable" errors and they have stopped cutting, the only way to fix it is to put in a new consumable. The old consumable are not showing any "end of life" messages and a couple of them have less than a few 100 peaces on them. At the cost per unit, I would hope to get more than that out of them.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

What thickness material are you cutting? I assume steel. The sync manual talks a little bit about this. Are you getting the "stuck open" or "stuck closed" error code?

David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Once you make positively sure that your height and speed settings are taken directly from the new SYNC cut charts for the material you’re cutting AND that your machine is actually achieving those heights and speeds then if you are still having trouble, contact Hypertherm support. It is certainly possible there is a problem with your machine. I love the new cartridges and they are working great for me.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I was hoping Robert would chime in here. Excellent advise!!
Thanks,
David
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

David,

The error is a TSO and we are cutting 1.5mm Gal sheet. Thanks for the link but I have read that page 100 times in the last 2 weeks.

Robert,
Yes, all the heights and speeds are from the SYNC cut charts. We really can not change them as they are built into the controller. I have contacted support here but their go-to is to put in a new consumable which is getting expensive when you have less than 100 peaces on it like yesterday's one

Rick
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Hypertherm’s answer will not be to just replace it. They will want to know why it is failing.

Don’t forget the part where I said it is important to also make sure your table is achieving those heights and speeds. My guess is that it is not or you have problems in the Hypertherm or torch.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

Robert,

Yes, their answer is pretty much just put in a new one. The machine is a new Loyalmak and they keep telling us we will not have any problems with the machine running at the speeds the SYNC wants.

I have been saying, I think there may be something wrong with the torch or the SYNC 105 itself for a while. I was just hoping others may have been still having similar problems so I could point it out to support here and get them to look deeper into it.

Rick
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Rick,

I know you’re in Australia and that complicates things a little but maybe stay up for a late night and give them a call. I’ve talked to them several times about different things and they have never been dismissive. On a new product like this with the capability of storing usage data on the cartridge I bet they’d be very interested in getting to the bottom of your issues.

Can you have the machine go to pierce height and then use feeler gauges or some similar method to verify it is consistently piercing at the set height? Can you stop it mid cut to verify using feeler gauges that the cut height is being maintained? I looked at the machines they offer and they look to be capable machines but if there is a setting or control issue with the table, that will reflect directly to consumable life and cut quality. I’d use the theory of trust but verify on the operation parameters of the machine. Speed is harder to check but there is definitely something going on with some component so I hope very much you get to the bottom of it soon and let us know what you find!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Could the problem be galvanized steel, I have not cut any myself. But when welding galvanized steel it is nasty, you may have a problem with the ejected particles messing up the nozzle.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:35 pm Could the problem be galvanized steel, I have not cut any myself. But when welding galvanized steel it is nasty, you may have a problem with the ejected particles messing up the nozzle.
Good catch - I didn’t even see the word ‘galvanized’ but yeah I’d never cut galvanized with fine cut due to the zinc fouling the torch. Switch up to the 45a shielded consumables and have a go. Maybe even the 65 if you have that capacity and they are just long straight cuts. I used my table for nothing but HVAC ductwork when I first got it and we were using 65 amps shielded consumable and running 450 ipm on duct fittings.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

Robert,

I have checked both the cut and pierce height a number of times and every time it has been right. Support is a funny thing, because I am over here in AU I have to deal with AU if we contact the US we get redirected back to here.

As for cutting the Gal, we have been cutting it on the old machine for over 12 years it was a Powermax 105 and a 45 fine with little to no problem. With the part we are cutting I have to use the 45 fine I have tried the 45A and the 65A they just don't work on this job.

I have tested the machine on 1.5mm mild steel just to see what would happen and got the same problems.

Rick
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

If you’re getting the same results with bare mild steel then there is definitely a problem with either the table or the cutter/torch. I cut 16ga all the time with fine cut SYNC with great performance. Again, hope you get to the bottom of it soon!
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

Robert,

Thanks for your input, I hope I get this sorted out soon too, It has been very disappointing.

Do you mind me asking how many pieces do you get from the fine before end of life?

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”