Powermax 85 not cutting through

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powermax 85 not cutting through

Post by cutnweld »

My powermax 85 has been having trouble cutting through material 3/8 and thicker, I used to be able to clean cut 1". Now it will cut for a bit then the arc will stop going through the plate and blow back. If I restart it will cut a bit then do it again. On and on. Air pressure never drops below 120 psi on the back of machine. Any Ideas? Is there a air regulator inside the machine that fails? new consumables last til it blows back then they are done. Cut some3/8 this morning and it did it, Cut was very angled. Used to cut 3/8-1" without any angle that you could see
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85 not cutting through

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I'm sure you've tried new consumables, What about the:

Swirl ring (It's got to move in the blow-back torch fire sequence)
O ring on the torch body and at the machine disconnect (This one is not even in the manual - it requires a Hypertherm # 026008 / Industry # -008 O-Ring Silicone .175 x .070 / I just replaced all of mine)
Pull the separator off at the machine and replace it's filter.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you have a water table fire the torch over open water and look at the pattern of the water motion. It should be directly below the torch if not you have an air flow problem. It could be a hole blocked in the shield or bad "O" ring as Sego said
Are you connecting directly to the metal you are cutting with the work return lead.
have you verified the cut and pierce heights are correct.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Ha. Thanks! I changed the oring on the torch, Now it seems to work a lot better. Well see how it performs on my next thick job. Thanks!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:51 pm I'm sure you've tried new consumables, What about the:

O ring on the torch body and at the machine disconnect (This one is not even in the manual - it requires a Hypertherm # 026008 / Industry # -008 O-Ring Silicone .175 x .070 / I just replaced all of mine)
These are all great tips! Many just replace the consumables, but forget about the swirl ring and 0-rings. Ditto on the water separator.
David
SegoMan DeSigns

adbuch wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:38 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:51 pm I'm sure you've tried new consumables, What about the:

These are all great tips! Many just replace the consumables, but forget about the swirl ring and 0-rings. Ditto on the water separator.
David
2/5 of the small o-rings that I replaced were damaged (one was actually split). I will probably have increased cut quality as well. :lol: You can pay $0.78 ea for the 026008 from Hypertherm or get 100 from Amazon for $2.96:

A small hook set like this is required to remove the one on the Fastconnect fitting as it's semi recessed:

https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick ... 63697.html

Here is the silicone variant of the torch body O-Ring / Hypertherm 058519 $2.25 (They tend to be a little more robust than the Buna N-70's ):

Don't forget a dab of silicone grease on them:

https://bakersgas.com/collections/all/p ... erm-027055

Like the O-Ring's you can save some $$ going to an aftermarket die electric silicone grease / this is great for sealing electrical connections as well..

I can understand the labor involved with the "one each" packaging & pricing from Hypertherm but use your brain not your wallet, save those $$$ for the high priced SYNC cartridges :wink: :wink: :wink:
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Sago Thanks for the tip on the silicon "O"s. I guess some images got dropped that caused the blanks in your post. :Sad
spaces.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Update, I cut some 1' this morning, the taper is awful. I ordered the complete set of parts for the end and I will see what that does. BTW out of curiosity I ordered a sync adaptor and tip as well, Figured I may as well give it a nonfunded, real world trial. stay tuned
SegoMan DeSigns

acourtjester wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:23 am Sago Thanks for the tip on the silicon "O"s. I guess some images got dropped that caused the blanks in your post. :Sad
spaces.JPG
I guess amazon links are not allowed on here, Email sent..
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

I remembered that I have a complete new drop in hypertherm, I went and opened the box and stole the new consumable pack, problem seems solved. Cut some 1" parts and happy again. Will post results of sync finecut when I get it in
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:20 am
acourtjester wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:23 am Sago Thanks for the tip on the silicon "O"s. I guess some images got dropped that caused the blanks in your post. :Sad
spaces.JPG
I guess amazon links are not allowed on here, Email sent..
https://www.amazon.com/008-Silicone-Rin ... 146&sr=8-1
008 silicone o-ring.jpg
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

No issue with posting Amazon links, I am guessing some of you may have an ad blocker preventing the images from loading.
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
SegoMan DeSigns

Thanks for the clarification on that.
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:59 pm Thanks for the clarification on that.
:Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well David's post worked fine, Amazon link take me there and the image of the link shows too. :HaHa :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pspider Support wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:02 am No issue with posting Amazon links, I am guessing some of you may have an ad blocker preventing the images from loading.
I am using an ad blocker and it still works fine for me.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well I order the "O" rings shown above and the larger ones seem to be the ones but the smaller one missed by a lot. See attached images.
It is hard to be sure but with calipers the ID of the smaller one in the swirl ring is about 0.430". I have not remove one to check the other dimensions of the "O" ring. If some in the US would like a few I have 100 of the larger one I can share.
DSCN0275.JPG
DSCN0274.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SegoMan DeSigns

Tom,

The smaller ones are for the fastconnect fitting where the torch lead goes into the plasma box. This is not shown in the manual, I had to contact Hyperthem support to get the proper number. A small angled pick tool is required to remove it as it is recessed (see attached photo / outside of the center tube). Installing requires no tools just a semi-lubed O-Ring and your finger.

I would say this is probably the most overlooked O-Ring on the machines (especially if your continually changing from machine to hand torch like I do). 2/5 of mine were either split or damaged.

IMG_20230504_104540482.jpg

Steve
Last edited by SegoMan DeSigns on Thu May 04, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJS

Post by TJS »

Tom,
Looks like you got a lifetime supply there sir.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

thanks SagoMan for keeping me straight, I thought it was the one in the Swirl ring for that number :Wow :Wow :HaHa
If the other "O" ring number can be sourced (swirl ring) I would like to get some too. :Like I think some members have had a problem with that "O" ring.
Yes that is why I offered to send some out to others.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:59 pm Tom,

The smaller ones are for the fastconnect fitting where the torch lead goes into the plasma box. This is not shown in the manual, I had to contact Hyperthem support to get the proper number. A small angled pick tool is required to remove it as it is recessed (see attached photo / outside of the center tube). Installing requires no tools just a semi-lubed O-Ring and your finger.

I would say this is probably the most overlooked O-Ring on the machines (especially if your continually changing from machine to hand torch like I do). 2/5 of mine were either split or damaged.

IMG_20230504_104540482.jpg

Steve
Never have replaced that one, and I switch torches occasionally. Might have to get a few just in case.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:36 pm It is hard to be sure but with calipers the ID of the smaller one in the swirl ring is about 0.430". I have not remove one to check the other dimensions of the "O" ring.
Tom,

Following up on your o-ring inside the swirl ring. I'm getting a 0.431" ID with a cross section of 0.035" so that would equal approx 0.50" OD. I have not seen this cross section dimension on a US chart. it could be a Metric, British or custom size..

I also looked at some older swirl rings in the "left over box" and some of them were missing the o-ring (which is probably why they were replaced)

Let me know what you find..

Steve
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

thanks I'm sure Hypertherm want us to buy new swirl rings and not replace the "O" ring. I may be mistaken about others replacing them, It was in a post about bad cutting and they said they replace both "O" rings. I did not realize the one you showed at the torch connection, and that may be the one they were talking about. Anyway I now have both with lots of spares. :Yay :HaHa :HaHa I don't remember what Hypertherm charged for the torch ones I bought years ago, but these are a much better quality and price. :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”