Samson 5x10 Z short

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Ejgr4321
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Samson 5x10 Z short

Post by Ejgr4321 »

I have a samson 5X10 table that I bought around 2010 or 2011 time frame. I was running an older computer and everything has always worked fine. Recently that older computer crapped out and I hooked up an extra Dell
Computer I have and installed the software and it appears that the computer and table are communicating but now it tells me I have a Z short. I've never seen that before. The Dell computer is newer than the one that crapped out but its probably ten or so years old.. Plasmacam wont offer any tech advice since I havent upgraded to the latest software version. This is my third machine from pcam and I'm not very happy to put it lightly. Has anyone had this issue with the Z short? Idk. Maybe it's not the newer computer I'm using. The only thing that pcam would tell me is that the software upgrade makes the communication between table and newer computers better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Casaba
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Samson 5x10 Z short

Post by Casaba »

not sure about that better comms...LOL
BUT try to run a small ground wire from the new PC to the table. i did this and it stopped a lot of my weird comm errors. I just ran a 16 gauge wire from the PC case to the table and from the parallel port card screw to the table. Both are just attached to a screw that holds the controller to the boom arm
Ejgr4321
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Ejgr4321 »

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll give that a try.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

As a person that uses and teaches the newer software I can tell you that everyone I've talked to that did the upgrade did not regret the decision.

That said, if you unplug the Z motor and initialize (raise the Z first so the torch doesn't drag as it will not raise itself) does it still give the error? If not, need to ohm the Z motor and make sure it's OK.
Metaspec
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Metaspec »

Try a axon card and a parallel cord it fixed 2 machines so far with the same code running the 3.**software pm me for my # .
We have had a little luck with the 20.00 cards but they are a little finicky to connect but it is possible

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”