Helping School Setup PlasmaCam

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
austin1289
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Helping School Setup PlasmaCam

Post by austin1289 »

Hi I'm trying to help the trade school I work for learn how to use their 5 year old Samson Plasmacam table and I was wondering if you Plasmacam guys could tell me what the fairly loud buzzing/grinding/jerky noise on the torch slide when we go to initialize is? The manual says "some noise" is normal but this sounds terrible. I have a Dynatorch table at home with the SMS XT3 slide and you basically can't hear it move. Also I notice the mechanism that turns the screw is connected to the carriage servo motor? Just out of curiosity, what is this mechanism, is it some sort of stepper motor?
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Helping School Setup PlasmaCam

Post by Francisco »

Yes, it's a stepper motor.

The Z axis screw doesn't turn, it's fixed to the Z slide; the stepper's rotor has a female thread that works against the screw, providing up/down thrust. During initialization, the slide climbs on the screw until the rotor disengages from the screw, establishing the Z axis top reference; the noise you hear is the rotor briefly spinning freely on the screw's end and, yes, it can sound as if something's broken.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

It's electrical slippage in the Z stepper, not mechanical slippage. No damage is being done whatsoever but it sounds like the second coming.... To minimize the noise, run the Z axis down before powering down the machine or push it down manually when the controller is turned off and it will be much more brief. As Francisco said, it is a stepper and is establishing the upper limit of travel as a home reference.
austin1289
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by austin1289 »

Awesome. Thank you guys for the response

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”