Upgraded to 45xp and torch wont fire

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Upgraded to 45xp and torch wont fire

Post by Ssleeper »

I have had me table since 2005 and was running a Powermax 600.
I recently got the 45xp with the hand torch and used it for awhile freehand cutting and have now installed it on my machine. It has the hand torch and the dip switches have been flipped. CPC cable is run and plugged in.
Problem is now it wont fire on the table. When I was using it manually I had to flip the thumb switch and it would do a burst of air and then I would pull the trigger again and it would fire.
Now installed on the table it doesn't do anything. Everything is green on the unit when the thumb switch is in the green but no puff of air or firing?
What am i missing? My software is 3.11 and everything works great and table moves around it just wont fire.
Please Help?
I am stuck. what do I do next?

John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
Hypertherm 45xp for machine
Powermax 600 free hand cutting.
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Upgraded to 45xp and torch wont fire

Post by Ssleeper »

Update:
Upon inspection the trigger was not zip tied correctly and when pulled the torch manually fired. When I adjusted my zip tie the close the trigger and tried again nothing. I have made sure all lights are green and torch handle is green.
I have switched the hand torch to off with machine off and then turned on. Torched indicates off and then I turned handle to green.
Machine indicates all green.
In reading the Hypertherm manual I noticed that is says when connected to a CNC the machine with display R.C. for remote control.
My machine does not do this.
Any Suggestions?
Anyone Else using this setup?
Thanks.

John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I am not sure that the CPC cable can be used to fire a hand torch. You may need the machine torch or tap into your hand torch trigger wires directly.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

The CPC trigger circuit will only fire a machine torch. You'll have to either switch to a machine torch or modify the wiring in the machine to connect to the purple wire as was done in the older model rather than the CPC pins for it to work with a hand torch.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

My Hypertherm 45XP works great with the CPC cable and a machine torch with dip switches set. :mrgreen:

Dave Hanks
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

where do I find out how to rewire my hand torch into a machine torch? Lovely, Nothing listed in Manual or from Hypertherm tech support when my Welding supply called and asked...... figures, they told me everything would be set up from factory when I bought it..........
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

It was, the CPC is for a machine torch and not a hand torch.

You can download the service manual from Hypertherm.com - You'd be much happier with a Snap-n-Cut magnetic mount and a mini-machine torch anyway so maybe splurge on that? :-) If not, you can change the wires that go to pin 3 and 4 of the CPC to be wired in series with the purple trigger wire as shown in the Plasmacam Video manual.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Ssleeper wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:03 pm where do I find out how to rewire my hand torch into a machine torch? Lovely, Nothing listed in Manual or from Hypertherm tech support when my Welding supply called and asked...... figures, they told me everything would be set up from factory when I bought it..........
That is because it is not recommended by hypertherm to do it....
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28827&p=174723&hil ... er#p174723

Just get a stand of thin wire and link out the two pins within the torch connector as shown below. (NOT THE CPC!!! (Machine Interface CNC connector)

(PIN 7 and PIN 8)

http://www.candcnc.net/supportforum/dow ... &mode=view

http://www.candcnc.net/supportforum/dow ... &mode=view

Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

Thank you all for your help, but everything everyone has given me is for the Powermax 45 and does not mention the 45XP. the video states a 45 and has one extra pin than min does. Mine has 8 pins and the Powermax 45 only has 7.
i understand jumping pins 7 and 8, I just want to be sure we are comparing apples to apples.
The Powermax series is like a Model T compared with the Ford Mustang and the XP.
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

So I tried the little jumper wire on 7 and 8 and nothing...... Now I only get a trouble code 0-51-0 which is the start trigger on at power up no matter what I do............ whether its on or off...
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Have you got the jumper Inthe wrong pins?

(6 and 7 maybe and NOT 7 and 8?)

See page 167 of the manual

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SciSgxbc86
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

So I checked it out and No I did have the 7 and 8 pins jumpered. Apparently the pin hit the wire going in and bent and now the pin in the torch cable won't engage and now is bent and wont go in. It's the Orange wire. Now I am totally screwed. I have the operators manual and have downloaded the service manual and I cannot find the graphic with the pins. The one RobertSpark sent it completely not readable.
I now have a $2000 boat anchor and I just need to get this running.
I refuse to goto a machine torch and need this to work.
I need HELP! How do I rewire the hand torch todo this and get it done. I have had to pass on some many jobs and thinking of just tossing the whole thing....... NEED HELP!
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

So, I have the pins 7 and 8 jumpered. Psuedo fixed the torch cable pin.
Turns on, No trouble lights, air pressure good and nothing....
What do I do to bypass this dumb as safety switch.....
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Why wouldn't you just use the torch control cable made by Plasmacam? It is made to run the hand torch. The CPC port is made for running the machine torch which is an upgrade you're obviously not interested in.
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

I am not interested in the machine torches. My machine is 15 years old and I dont have the machine torch holder. I have more than a few bad pieces of luck with a friends machine torch on his and didn't want to fight it.
Hand torches always have worked well for me and I am don't just have the cash to throw around on upgrades for the machine torch or the holder.
It was my fault for believing my dealer when he told me everything would work and be set up. I bought the Hypertherm CPC cable and was told it would work with the hand torch. Live and learn.
I have now bought the PJ metalfab CPC cable hoping to fix the problem.
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

So hooked up the new CPC cable and nothing..... If I leave the trigger safety switch on and cut my zip tip off the trigger, power on and everything is green and no trouble lights. I can activate my trigger and the torch goes off. So I tried to start the cut and do a simple circle...... Nothing.......... I guess I have a boat anchor. I have tried everything.... Thats just my luck. I can buy a new car and blow up a transmission.....
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe this will help.
viewtopic.php?t=24415#p183673
It looks like you have to move a pin in the torch connector to turn your hand torch into a machine torch.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I would forget about the CPC cable and use the stock Plasmacam torch control cable. As previously mentioned, the CPC port/cable is intended for machine torch only. You can order the correct torch control cable directly from Plasmacam.
David
torch control wiring kit.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I'm sorry your dealer has caused you such grief, that stinks.

As has been hashed and rehashed on this thread there is not a cable that plugs into the CPC connector that will fire a hand torch. It's not made to, not wired to, and won't. It is made for the machine torch only. There are ways to overcome this by changing some wiring inside the Hypertherm but it doesn't seem that's in your wheelhouse and that's fine too - just the facts.

As David has suggested, the best and easiest option for you to use a hand torch is to go back to the system designed for the hand torch by Plasmacam by using their torch control cable. It will connect to the wiring for the torch trigger (splices in-line with the purple trigger wire) and you will zip tie your hand torch trigger on. It will also connect directly to the raw arc voltage terminals on the board. It has a built in voltage divider (21.1:1).
Ssleeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ssleeper »

I am so confused over all of this........ There are too many things going on.
So the PJ metal fab CPC cable will not work or make the hand torch work or Even the Hypertherm CPC ?
I bought it and nothing.... So,............What wires do I need to cut or splice to make this work? I need to see pictures with an explanation. Right now I have a boat anchor so I can't go wrong with doing more.
My dip switchs are set to the 21:1:1. I have both the Hypertherm CPC cable and Jim Colts cable. WTF do I need to do to make this work. I have seen all the diagrams and jumpers. I have tried the jumper between Pin 7 & 8 and nothing on the machines hand torch connection.
I want some pics of what wires to cut and and what to splice. I just had to pass on more jobs and could have bought a whole new table with them. I hate machine torches.
I just need want to cut some wires and get back to work. This is my second job and usually do this to relieve stress. I work in a jail with the worst of humanity 12 hours a day. I have to work with around and worry about AIDS, Hep and everything else besides this Covid crap and watch my back for all the haters. I get one day off a week to do this and I just want to Cut some steel.
Thanks for all those that offered help, but right now I need to be shown what CPC cable to use and what friggin wires to cut and splice. thanks.
John Marcella
Serenity Metalworks
Plasmacam since 2005
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The PJ Metal Fab CPC cable is for machine torch, not hand torch.
You need the Plasmacam torch control cable (or equivalent). If you decide to build your own cable, make sure to include the proper resistor(s) for the voltage divider. The simplest thing would be to simply order a new Plasmacam torch control cable, as described in my previous post. Installation is simple and described in the Video Manual Chapter 4.
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks for the work you do with the inmates. I'm sure it is quite stressful being in that environment every day.
I'm wondering why you don't care for machine torches? I have both with my cutter and am not sure why using the hand torch on the table would be better than the machine torch.
With the machine torch there is no need to zip tie a trigger. It is a cylindrical shape and thus easier to construct a mount for, and the lead comes out inline with the torch so it doesn't weigh down the torch when mounted. And since the mount can be attached higher on the torch body it makes changing consumables easier.
Also, with the CPC port the fire signal is easy to interface.
The only con I can think of is the extra cost, but having the hand torch free to use for other things makes the cutter more versatile.
I'm sure you can find the torch connector schematic online and connect a pigtail to the torch switch wires inside the unit. Somebody that has done this should be along shortly. Otherwise I'll check back later.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hypertherm Duramax machine torches typically run around $550 to $600. Add $200 to $300 for a quality magnetic breakaway torch mount. It's easy to spend over $800 for this setup. The OP already has the PJ Metal Fab cpc to Plasmacam torch control cable that he could use if he wants to spend the money to upgrade to machine torch and mount. On the other hand, if he is anxious to get his table up and running in the most cost effective manner (i.e. - he may have a specific budget for this table) then $59 for the Plasmacam Torch Control wiring kit seems like a pretty good deal. He could phone in his order on Monday and be cutting by the end of the week.
David

Plasmacam Customer Service phone number: (719) 676-2700

note: Plasmacam replacement Video Manuals are available for $10. Chapter 4 describes in detail installing and testing the Plasmacam Torch Control cable.
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Ssleeper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:13 pm I am so confused over all of this........ There are too many things going on.
So the PJ metal fab CPC cable will not work or make the hand torch work or Even the Hypertherm CPC ?
I bought it and nothing.... So,............What wires do I need to cut or splice to make this work? I need to see pictures with an explanation. Right now I have a boat anchor so I can't go wrong with doing more.
My dip switchs are set to the 21:1:1. I have both the Hypertherm CPC cable and Jim Colts cable. WTF do I need to do to make this work. I have seen all the diagrams and jumpers. I have tried the jumper between Pin 7 & 8 and nothing on the machines hand torch connection.
I want some pics of what wires to cut and and what to splice. I just had to pass on more jobs and could have bought a whole new table with them. I hate machine torches.
I just need want to cut some wires and get back to work. This is my second job and usually do this to relieve stress. I work in a jail with the worst of humanity 12 hours a day. I have to work with around and worry about AIDS, Hep and everything else besides this Covid crap and watch my back for all the haters. I get one day off a week to do this and I just want to Cut some steel.
Thanks for all those that offered help, but right now I need to be shown what CPC cable to use and what friggin wires to cut and splice. thanks.
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. Please just order a torch control cable from Plasmacam Monday and also get the replacement video manual that is updated to include the 45XP instructions (with video and narration) that your original version did not have it.
LucasWorx
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by LucasWorx »

I realize this is an older post, but did you ever find a solution?? I'm in the same boat thinking my cpc cable would work with the hand torch. I made my own cpc cable using 8 conductor 22ga shielded wire, cpc plug and pins. I have pins 3 and 4 going to a mesa 7i96 output and pins 12 and 14 going to the input, along with the other wires ran. I'm wondering what I did wrong. I also tried moving the purple #6 wire from the plug to the #8 hole, yet my torch still won't fire and the 45xp issues the -0 50 fault for the trigger pressed at startup. Moving that wire should bypass that, shouldn't it? Or would I move some wires on my CPC cable to accomplish this instead?

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”