how do I make plasmacam controller to accept USB connection to my PC instead of the parallel port

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
awesometools
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

how do I make plasmacam controller to accept USB connection to my PC instead of the parallel port

Post by awesometools »

Hello
Please tell me, I am a new plasmacam 4x4 table owner and I like to know how do I make plasmacam controller accept USB connection to my PC instead of the parallel port. is the USB much faster than parallel port? I also get my CAD ( i used carbide create software to create my drawing - it is a CNC router, not plasma) will plasma cad load my file - TIA
plasma_burn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: how do I make plasmacam controller to accept USB connection to my PC instead of the parallel port

Post by plasma_burn »

No, you can not connect via USB, no adapter, its not going to happen. You can get parallel port card for a PC cheap. If you can save the carbide create as a .DXF it can be imported into the Plasmacam software.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: how do I make plasmacam controller to accept USB connection to my PC instead of the parallel port

Post by adbuch »

The Plasmacam controller will work with a parallel card only, and not the USB. Here is the one that I use - I have one installed in each of my control computers for my Plasmacam tables.
David

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Exp ... NrPXRydWU=
StarTech parallel adapter card.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

awesometools
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by awesometools »

Thanks so much, so I do not have to buy new PC with Parallel port but just buy this Adaptor-board and put in to my PC slot than it will work correct? thanks
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by harrymorley »

that looks like what I used..got it from AXXON..just be sure your computer has that slot on the inside for the board to plug into
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That card should work but not with win 64 bit or win 10 they do not have the parallel printer setup in them. Been there done that :Sad
DSCN4315.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have this installed in two Windows 64 bit computers and it works fine. All that is required is a PCI express slot to physically install. It has nothing to do with Windows 10 (or 7) 64 bit not being able to support a parallel port.
David

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Exp ... NrPXRydWU=
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

A caveat: check the BIOS menus. We have an Acer 64 bit, Windows 10 PC successfully running a parallel port expansion card. However, we had to assign a very nice 64 bit Lenovo (originally W7, later updated to W10) to clerical duty because its BIOS doesn't support parallel ports. May be a peculiarity of that model (built 6 or 8 years ago).

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”