Plasma cam table cnc router conversion

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
toolhawk1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasma cam table cnc router conversion

Post by toolhawk1 »

Hello , 1st time poster , Been using plasma Cam as a CNC plasma cutter table since its inception , purchased a new unit and have my original table and would like it turn it into a CNC router table. My question is , is ther a better software program i can use for this with what i have , I do have the original plasma Cam program that runs on windows XP and have a computer to run it but I feel there would be a better program out there that would make it easier and nicer to program for using as a router table.
Thanks for any pointes and suggestions , I'm sure I'm not the 1st one to try thiss
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma cam table cnc router conversion

Post by adbuch »

Which model is your original Plasmacam table? And what software are you using to run it? On the newer Plasmacam DHC2 tables running Design Edge software, and particularly with the 3D upgrade - routing is pretty straight forward. The easiest way to create programs (and some others would agree) is to use a program such as Vectric VCarve Pro ($699 one time purchase - no annual fee) to create your drawings and tool paths, then save as G-code which can be imported directly into Design Edge as a ready to cut file.
David
Last edited by adbuch on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester

Re: Plasma cam table cnc router conversion

Post by acourtjester »

It depends on the type of routing you want to do, routing 2-D or 2.5-D can be done with SheetCam and some other programs. But if you want to do true 3-D type where all 3 axis can move for a line of code then a more expensive program is needed. I have used a inexpensive package called EstlCam ($55.) for doing some 3-D type plaques but it is not as sophisticated or expensive as Vectrics (over $1000. per year).
DSCN4153.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”