Are the software upgrades worth it?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
SKUHNS3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Are the software upgrades worth it?

Post by SKUHNS3 »

Currently I have a DHC2 pcam with design edge and basic height control. Im looking at upgrading to advanced DE. Customizable table, advanced height, and nesting. Currently it would basically $4k.

A little about me. I use semi regular, not full time but I do make some decent money on the side using it for parts and metal art. Nesting software would come in handy from time to time but not sure im.sold for $1k. I use free 3d software with dxf export, which works decent, but it lacks a few features and altering a design after the fact can prove to be annoying. I THOUGHT the height control sensed the metal as it states in advanced but I feel a little bamboozled, per the phone call conversation when I purchased. I've already raised my rails for Z clearance and will expand to 4x8 in time.

So. With your experience in mind with these features, would the upgrades be worth it and which to start with first?

Thanks for the feedback in advance
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Are the software upgrades worth it?

Post by adbuch »

In my opinion the most beneficial upgrades are advanced design, advanced height control, and advanced machine control. I have all the upgrades (except metric) installed on my Design Edge and never use nesting, but it could come in handy if you are cutting many duplicate parts. To take advantage of your extended Z height, and If you expand to 4 x 8 you will need customizable size.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here are some screen shots of my Settings pages so you can compare to what you have now.
David
Height Control.jpg
Sense Material to zero.jpg
Machine Control.jpg
Offset Convert.jpg
System Setup.jpg
Untitled.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SKUHNS3 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:40 pm I THOUGHT the height control sensed the metal as it states in advanced but I feel a little bamboozled, per the phone call conversation when I purchased.
If your Settings, Height Control screen looks like this, then you can set it to stall on material to zero - but you don't have the option to sense material to zero (ohmic sensing). That option is included with Advanced Height Control.
David
Basic Height Control.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

No, it's not worth it............ if you don't use your table. But, if you use your table on a regular basis or use it commercially it is worth every penny! Nesting alone will pay for itself. Yes, it's a little expensive, but you get a lot in return. I also have all the upgrades except for metric.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
SKUHNS3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SKUHNS3 »

Thanks for the screenshots. That was helpful. I've decided to start with Advanced Design. After some research, it seems my cut path intersection issue I have on tight corners will be alleviated. I'll follow that with the custom table, advanced height and lastly, nesting.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

This might be helpful to see the differences between the levels also:

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”