Plasma Cam modification question

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
ijestares
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasma Cam modification question

Post by ijestares »

Wondering if anybody here has any good ideas for modifying a plasma cam 4 x 4 to except 3 x 3 tubing. I’m trying to get some production done utilizing 90 inch long tubes any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thus far I have tried to lower theTorch and clamp the material down to the bottom of the table after removing the grid. Unfortunately my handheld torch and adjustments on the torch holder will not allow the proper distance it is still too far away. What have some of you guys done or does anybody have any good ideas?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma Cam modification question

Post by adbuch »

John Derby offers a "rail lift kit" for the Plasmacaam tables that adds 4 1/2" to the Z-travel. He is active on the Plasmacam Owner's Community Forum. His phone number is listed below in photo.
David

https://owners-community.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51685
John Derby rail lift kit.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I agree, the kit is the best solution. It might also be possible to just squeeze it in if you move the rails up so that the bottom hole of the rail is bolted to the top hole of the legs. This gains you about an inch clearance so you should be able to slide the tubing in. I've seen people notch the table angle frame just a bit to get some clearance also but that isn't the best idea unless you do a little shade tree engineering.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I like the John Derby approach because it is pretty much a turn-key bolt-in solution. Some would say: "do it once, do it right".
David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 am I like the John Derby approach because it is pretty much a turn-key bolt-in solution. Some would say: "do it once, do it right".
David
100% agree. I actually have a 6" Z-travel modification on mine.

I have, however, given just a little more capacity to many people by using the move up a bolt hole method. :-)

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”