Used 5x10 samson

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Weldamerica
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Used 5x10 samson

Post by Weldamerica »

Hello I and blessed to work for a company that has had a plasmacam 5x10 samson plasma cutting table. They were using to with a rotozip to cut some marinite. They moved building so put it on a skid and put it up on a rack for 6 yrs finally clean up day arrive and they want to get rid of this as it takes up alot of space so they let me have it. Great day for me.
Come to find out the original computer and software is lost somewhere in the move which explains to me why the havent used it. Now in doing what little research I can on this item I have come to the conclusion that I need the software I am not sure if there are other options for this machine. My question is if the software is 4000 bux then what all does it come with? Does anyone know.
And is there any other options that will work instead? Also what type of computer do I need.
Thank you for any help.
20201031_213702.jpg
20201031_175233.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Used 5x10 samson

Post by adbuch »

Good deal for you! Assuming you want to stay with the Plasmacam software, the first thing you will need to do is to fill out and submit a transfer of ownership form to Plasmacam so you can get the table into your name. After that, the cost of the Design Edge software will depend on if you are only getting the basic version or if you are also purchasing any of the Advanced upgrades. I seem to remember that the basic Design Edge for an existing machine is around $2000. You should call Plasmacam to have them send you the transfer or ownership form and to get the software pricing.

The most useful software upgrades are Advanced Design, Advanced Height Control, and Advanced Machine Control. I think the prices are $1995, $995, and $995 respectively. Robert Johnson has an excellent Youtube video explaining what is included with each upgrade.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7CJirK0kKA
Design Edge Levels - What do you get.jpg

System Requirements For Design Edge Software

A Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz or equivalent/faster PC is recommended.
(Laptops are not recommended due to their common port problems.)
Windows 7 or 10 installed.
DVD ROM drive and 10 GB free hard disk space.
Standard bi-directional EPP or PS/2 mode (5V preferred) parallel port - dedicated strictly for controlling the PlasmaCAM cutting table. A true physical parallel port is required (not a USB to parallel converter, for example).
IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port cable (optimum length is 6 foot).
A 3-button mouse is recommended (or mouse with wheel configured as middle button when pressed).

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Wow, killer deal and it looks in great shape! With that machine your prob best to fork out for the original software, it will pay for itself quickly and you've still got a killer deal!
Weldamerica
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Weldamerica »

Amazing info here. Thought I would never find info on how to get this going and what steps to take. To get start on this journey im about to embark on. I am pretty sure it has all 3 axis so looks like I'm going to need more than 4000. Lol
Thanks again have a great and safe holidays.
. I will update everyone on my progress
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The software upgrade to Design Edge from 3.11 is $1995. You will also most likely need to purchase the Customizable Size upgrade ($995) as the standard Design Edge table size is 4x4, and you need 5x10.
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:21 am The software upgrade to Design Edge from 3.11 is $1995. You will also most likely need to purchase the Customizable Size upgrade ($995) as the standard Design Edge table size is 4x4, and you need 5x10.
David
This is incorrect. Design Edge table size depends on the table original design so for a Samson that's 5x10, Plasmacam is 4x4, and GoTorch is 2x2

Also, the $1995 upgrade to Design Edge from 3.11 includes Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, Advanced Height Control, and two seats for the software.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:58 am
adbuch wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:21 am The software upgrade to Design Edge from 3.11 is $1995. You will also most likely need to purchase the Customizable Size upgrade ($995) as the standard Design Edge table size is 4x4, and you need 5x10.
David
This is incorrect. Design Edge table size depends on the table original design so for a Samson that's 5x10, Plasmacam is 4x4, and GoTorch is 2x2

Also, the $1995 upgrade to Design Edge from 3.11 includes Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, Advanced Height Control, and two seats for the software.
Please elaborate. What is the equivalent cost for Samson 5x10?
Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Robert - after re-reading your post, my takeaway is that the $1995 cost is the same to upgrade any of the tables (2x2, 4x4, or 5x10) - but that the Customizable Size upgrade would not be required for the OP's Sampson table. However, in the case that someone might be increasing the size of the Go Torch table to - say 5x10 - then the purchase of the Customizable Size upgrade ($995) would be required if that particular someone wishes to use more than a 2x2 area of their 5x10 table when upgrading to Design Edge from 3.11.
David
Weldamerica
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Weldamerica »

U guys are awesome. I am hopeing my boss finds the computer and software that came with the table. We turned in the transfer of ownership paper today . once that goes thru hope everything goes smooth. I do know the table already has the up down axis and the plasma torch trigger wire came with it. I sure hope once the ownership paper goes thru I will get help in setting everything up
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

adbuch wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:41 pm Robert - after re-reading your post, my takeaway is that the $1995 cost is the same to upgrade any of the tables (2x2, 4x4, or 5x10) - but that the Customizable Size upgrade would not be required for the OP's Sampson table. However, in the case that someone might be increasing the size of the Go Torch table to - say 5x10 - then the purchase of the Customizable Size upgrade ($995) would be required if that particular someone wishes to use more than a 2x2 area of their 5x10 table when upgrading to Design Edge from 3.11.
David
In theory, yes. I can tell you that GoTorch machines were not sold pre-DesignEdge so there is no way they could upgrade from 3.11.

Customizable size is required any time the owner wants to change the physical size (or controller orientation, etc.) of their machine from its original parameters. For instance, I own an old Samson 5x10 that is on 3.11 and have ordered the pieces and made it into a 2x2 for use in my retail store. It is easy to change the table parameters in 3.11 but if I update to DesignEdge I will LOSE that functionality. (They used to include the Customizable Size upgrade for those that had changed their table but have changed that policy.) So they want another $998 to be able to set the size of my table down from 5x10 to 2x2.
Weldamerica
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Weldamerica »

Alright so update.
If anyone cares lol. I got the transfer of ownership sorted out its officially in my name.
Upon doing so plasmacam notified me that since I just purchased the system I have 1 seat free so the initial software is free. Awsome. Bought parallel port for my computer. Hooked it up and not detecting table. Called plasmacam and they told me th e cord might be bad so im waiting on that.
One thing I noticed is when u manually check the gantry the gear rubs the screws that hold the track teeth in place. Any suggestion of a type adjustments for the gantry side to side.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You could show us some photos of the area where the gear rubs so we can get a better understanding of the problem. It sounds like you are on the right track to having a first class setup.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

GOOD LUCK getting PlasmaCam to put the table into YOUR name without a signed release from the previous owner that PlasmaCam sees in their records (regardless of who actually sold the table to you.)

Without that, you will not be able to put the table into your name, and if the previous owner owed ANY money on that table, PlasmaCam will come after YOU for payment.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:51 pm GOOD LUCK getting PlasmaCam to put the table into YOUR name without a signed release from the previous owner that PlasmaCam sees in their records (regardless of who actually sold the table to you.)

Without that, you will not be able to put the table into your name, and if the previous owner owed ANY money on that table, PlasmaCam will come after YOU for payment.
Weldamerica wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:15 pm Alright so update.
If anyone cares lol. I got the transfer of ownership sorted out its officially in my name.
Upon doing so plasmacam notified me that since I just purchased the system I have 1 seat free so the initial software is free. Awsome
!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Good for you! Enjoy the table.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:04 am Good for you! Enjoy the table.

Joe
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Weldamerica wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:15 pm Alright so update.
Upon doing so plasmacam notified me that since I just purchased the system I have 1 seat free so the initial software is free. Awsome
!
So, you were given the BASIC DesignEdge software (Version 4.53)? It probably came with BASIC machine control or BASIC height control.

What did the previous owner purchase with his license? Did he buy any of the $998.00 - $1,996.00 upgrades?

- Advanced Design Upgrade $998.00
- Advanced Machine Control Upgrade ($998.00 if you already have BASIC Machine Control, otherwise $1,996.00)
- Advanced Height Control Upgrade ($998.00 if you already have BASIC Height Control, otherwise $1,996.00)
- Automatic Nesting $998.00
- Customizable Size Upgrade $998.00
- Metric Units $998.00
- 3D Capability $998.00
- Pipe Cutting Upgrade (and the metal apparatus that comes with it) $1,996.00

If he did purchase any of these with the table, and the table is now officially in your name, then PlasmaCam SHOULD give you those same upgrades at NO COST to you.

It might be worth asking the previous owner to dig up the original invoice, or find and boot up the original PC with the software installed, and go to ACTIVATE LEVELS to see what is already activated FOR THAT TABLE.

I am not saying PlasmaCam would deliberately NOT tell you that some upgrades you may wish to purchase for your DesignEdge license have already been purchased by the previous owner, but if they WERE, then why pay for them again? 8-)

Joe
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I'm sure he received an installation of the software at whatever levels had been purchased for that specific table just like the thousands of other times tables have been sold used. The only caveat is their theft of extra seats at transfer, otherwise they tie the upgrades to the table.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If the table is sold, and the buyer tells PlasmaCam, "It has been stored for six years. They don't even know anything about it. They can't find the PC with the software on it. They just gave it to me." I will go with the words of one of America's GREATEST Presidents:

"Trust, but verify." - Ronald Reagan
Weldamerica
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Weldamerica »

Hello everyone again thanks for rthe help with all the info. As you know I did get the transfer papers taken care of and it is June 7 and it's running with no upgrades yet but I'm starting somewhere.
Would be nice to finance the complete upgrade. But I'm a patient person lol. Anyway here are some thing I pulled off
20210530_130003.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Very nice looking parts! Thanks for sharing.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Where is this table located?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Located in-doors inside his shop. See top photo.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

No, I meant ... Ah. Tucson, AZ

Okay.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Just curious ... why are the "ea" so much larger that they should be?

Joe

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”