What to look for on used PlasmaCam Tables?!

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

What to look for on used PlasmaCam Tables?!

Post by Glstiles »

Alright guys I need some major help on this one…

I have been told by more than 1 that plasma cam tables are just about the best you can get without moving to industrial tables with their easy software and durable tables.

I was really looking into STV CNC tables which I think are actually really good, but they will not let me preview their software and from what i HAVE seen, It doesnt look great.

I have found atleast 4 of the 4x4 plasmacam tables around me (NW MO) that come with Hypertherm cutters for good prices. WHAT DO I NEED TO ASK ABOUT OR FOR? I’m not new to plasma tables, but I am new to buying outright and to the plasma cam brand as a whole. Just need advice on what to look out for or be aware of. Anything and everything will be appreciated! Thanks
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What to look for on used PlasmaCam Tables?!

Post by adbuch »

Questions to ask:
1.Does the table function correctly? It would be best for you to go see the table do some actual cutting, or at least have the seller share a current video showing it cutting an actual part.

2. DHC or DHC2? The DHC2 with Design Edge software is the current offering from Plasmacam, and would be much preferred over the DHC (in my opinion). The DHC can be upgraded, but these upgrades can be expensive depending on which ones you choose.

3. If the table has Design Edge, what software upgrades (if any) are included? The big three are Advanced Height Contol ($1998 upgrade cost), Advanced Design ($998 upgrade cost), and Advanced Machine Control ($998 upgrade cost).

4. How much use has the table had? How old is it? If it has a lot of use, have any of the belts/bearings/etc. been recently replaced?

5. What plasma cutter (if any) is included with the table? If it does come with a Hypertherm, then the 45xp, 65, 85, 105, etc. would be much preferred over the older models - Powermax 45, for example. The 45xp/65/85/105 all use the Duramax torch which allows for the use of the FineCut consumables for cutting thinner materials (10 ga. and thinner). The benefits of FineCuts include narrower kerf width, finer detailed cuts, and less warping due to less heat being introduced into the material being cut.

6. Doe the table come with any other Plasmacam upgrades? For example - Pipe/Tubing cutter upgrade, Engraver, Router upgrade.

7. Is the seller the legal owner of the table? In order for you to get support and purchase replacement parts for your newly acquired table, you will need to submit an official "transfer of ownership" form signed and filled out by the seller, and transferring legal ownership to you (the buyer). Once you have submitted this paperwork to Plasmacam and it is approved, you will then have support from Plasmacam. This transfer of ownership is very important!

If you do find some potential tables to purchase, it wouldn't hurt to share some of the details here and ask for specific advise before purchasing.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, Plasmacam will send you a Free Demo Video. Just fill out the online form and submit it. You should receive your Demo Video Package in the mail within a few days. They are very good about promptly mailing these out to prospective new customers.
David
Plasmacam Demo Video.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

There are also some very good Youtube videos where you can see and learn more about the Plasmacam tables and Design Edge. Take a look at Robert Johnson's Learn Plasmacam channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQ5z9z2jhE
Learn Plasmacam.jpg

Keith Fenner also has some great videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMrxpap0SMs&t=1s
Keith Fenner.jpg

Here is another one you may like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTpcH5Yo_eU&t=431s
Clark Magnet - Plasmacam.jpg

David

Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

adbuch wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:30 pm Questions to ask:
1.Does the table function correctly? It would be best for you to go see the table do some actual cutting, or at least have the seller share a current video showing it cutting an actual part.

2. DHC or DHC2? The DHC2 with Design Edge software is the current offering from Plasmacam, and would be much preferred over the DHC (in my opinion). The DHC can be upgraded, but these upgrades can be expensive depending on which ones you choose.

3. If the table has Design Edge, what software upgrades (if any) are included? The big three are Advanced Height Contol ($1998 upgrade cost), Advanced Design ($998 upgrade cost), and Advanced Machine Control ($998 upgrade cost).

4. How much use has the table had? How old is it? If it has a lot of use, have any of the belts/bearings/etc. been recently replaced?

5. What plasma cutter (if any) is included with the table? If it does come with a Hypertherm, then the 45xp, 65, 85, 105, etc. would be much preferred over the older models - Powermax 45, for example. The 45xp/65/85/105 all use the Duramax torch which allows for the use of the FineCut consumables for cutting thinner materials (10 ga. and thinner). The benefits of FineCuts include narrower kerf width, finer detailed cuts, and less warping due to less heat being introduced into the material being cut.

6. Doe the table come with any other Plasmacam upgrades? For example - Pipe/Tubing cutter upgrade, Engraver, Router upgrade.

7. Is the seller the legal owner of the table? In order for you to get support and purchase replacement parts for your newly acquired table, you will need to submit an official "transfer of ownership" form signed and filled out by the seller, and transferring legal ownership to you (the buyer). Once you have submitted this paperwork to Plasmacam and it is approved, you will then have support from Plasmacam. This transfer of ownership is very important!

If you do find some potential tables to purchase, it wouldn't hurt to share some of the details here and ask for specific advise before purchasing.

David
This was the first one I was looking at if you can access the link

Plasmacam 4x4 Table.PNG

Very nice guy, has been used for 3 years and has all 3 of the main upgrades including DHC2. He said the only thing that ever went wrong was the fact that he needed a rebuilt controller. Has a Thermal Dynamics 82 (cuts 3/4”) to go with it. Its about equal to a Hypertherm 85 but I dont know if it has FineCut capabilities. Have one more guy to call. Any advice?

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

My advice would be to evaluate and compare all of your different options, and then make a decision. You are welcome to show us the other ones you are looking at, and perhaps we can offer some advice as well.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Glstiles wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 pm Alright guys I need some major help on this one…
Where are you located?

Joe

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:58 pm There are also some very good Youtube videos where you can see and learn more about the Plasmacam tables and Design Edge. Take a look at Robert Johnson's Learn Plasmacam channel.

Keith Fenner also has some great videos.

Here is another one you may like.
Clark Magnet - Plasmacam.jpg

David
Gosh, in all the rush to point people to helpful You Tube videos, you seem to have overlooked the 332 training videos I provide on my own You Tube Playlist. I'm sure it was a simple oversight David. :lol:

Joe
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

adbuch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm My advice would be to evaluate and compare all of your different options, and then make a decision. You are welcome to show us the other ones you are looking at, and perhaps we can offer some advice as well.
David
There is also a Torchmate 4x4 growth series only an hour away from me which is actually the table and software I am familiar with. 9k but I would need a new cutter. It is on the classifieds page on this site. Too many options!
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:38 pm
Glstiles wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 pm Alright guys I need some major help on this one…
Where are you located?

Joe
I am in Northwest MO. I pm-ed you. Why so?
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I live in Franklin, KY. I don't need much of an excuse to go on a ROAD TRIP! I thought you might want someone who is familiar with the tables and software to swing by to get you up to speed.

Good luck!

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Glstiles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:16 pm
There is also a Torchmate 4x4 growth series only an hour away from me which is actually the table and software I am familiar with. 9k but I would need a new cutter. It is on the classifieds page on this site. Too many options!
I am not familiar with the other systems or software, so I cannot speak intelligently on the available choices.

I do like the PlasmaCam tables and the software is awesome, even with its quirks.

I like that I can put a router on the table, or a blue laser, or a paint pen, or several other things.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

adbuch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm My advice would be to evaluate and compare all of your different options, and then make a decision. You are welcome to show us the other ones you are looking at, and perhaps we can offer some advice as well.
David
I am biased towards the Plasmacam, in particular due to the Design Edge software. But if you are familiar and like the Torchmate, then by all means include that in your list of machines to consider.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

David
Please keep us updated on your quest for a new table, and what you end up buying.
Thanks,
David
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

adbuch wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:36 am
David
Please keep us updated on your quest for a new table, and what you end up buying.
Thanks,
David
You seem to be the all knowing on the Plasmacams so sorry I am asking you for so much info. I went and looked at a Plasmacam in Luana, IA and It only seemed to have one problem. I'll try to explain this as best I can to make sure it is not the table or the software's fault.

He was running a Thermal Dynamics 82 on it, and whoever he bought the tip from sent him the wrong one. It was too long so it messed with the arc and he ended up just shaving it off. Since the tip was modified, it seemed to "acquire" a large amount of dross (his explanation). This would cause the THC and ohmic sensing to mess up and it would not fire after going back and touching the metal for a new pierce. He said all it needs is the correct tip and it would work fine, and he was just used to brushing out the dross build up with a stainless brush.

He was a nice guy and I do not discredit his explanation, but you can never be too careful when buying from strangers. Does this sound like the tip was the issue? Or the software. Either way I had planned on getting a new cutter at some point but I want to be absolutely sure of the problems and fixes. Thanks in advance
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

My thought is that if he wants to sell the table, he should equip it with the RIGHT consumables so he can demonstrate it.

Would you buy a car that doesn't run if the seller said, "Oh, I put enamel oil base paint in the gas tank, so that is why it runs so crappy. But when you put gasoline into the tank AFTER YOU BUY IT, it will run fine!"

Have him cut your name in 3" letters out of 14 gauge steel and THEN talk about buying it.

Joe
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:24 pm My thought is that if he wants to sell the table, he should equip it with the RIGHT consumables so he can demonstrate it.

Would you buy a car that doesn't run if the seller said, "Oh, I put enamel oil base paint in the gas tank, so that is why it runs so crappy. But when you put gasoline into the tank AFTER YOU BUY IT, it will run fine!"

Have him cut your name in 3" letters out of 14 gauge steel and THEN talk about buying it.

Joe
Yeah that is a pretty good point. I did have him cut me out a big letter "L". Other than the arc misfiring it cut well with minimal dross on the back side, and like I said I would probably be buying a new plasma cutter anyways. I just really want to make sure that this is not a software issue because that would be an automatic no deal for me.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Glstiles wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 pm
adbuch wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:36 am

Thanks,
David
You seem to be the all knowing on the Plasmacams so sorry I am asking you for so much info. I went and looked at a Plasmacam in Luana, IA and It only seemed to have one problem. I'll try to explain this as best I can to make sure it is not the table or the software's fault.

He was running a Thermal Dynamics 82 on it, and whoever he bought the tip from sent him the wrong one. It was too long so it messed with the arc and he ended up just shaving it off. Since the tip was modified, it seemed to "acquire" a large amount of dross (his explanation). This would cause the THC and ohmic sensing to mess up and it would not fire after going back and touching the metal for a new pierce. He said all it needs is the correct tip and it would work fine, and he was just used to brushing out the dross build up with a stainless brush.

He was a nice guy and I do not discredit his explanation, but you can never be too careful when buying from strangers. Does this sound like the tip was the issue? Or the software. Either way I had planned on getting a new cutter at some point but I want to be absolutely sure of the problems and fixes. Thanks in advance
My thought is that you really want to see it work correctly before considering purchasing this table. His explanation sounds plausible, but you never know. If you go back to take another look, maybe take some videos and photos to show us what is going on when he is cutting. Also ask him how much for the table only, without the TD82 plasma cutter. Keep in mind that a Hyperyterm 45xp will run around $2500 new. That ohmic cap setup looks a little sketchy - to say the least! It looks like he still has plenty of adjustment in his torch mount to raise the torch up to accommodate a proper ohmic cap/shield assembly - if one is available for his torch.
plasmacam table.jpg
The whole table looks like it has had plenty of use. His ad says:

Condition
Used - Like New
Brand
plasmacam

DHC2 - 4x4 - PlasmaCam Table
Thermal Dynamics 82Cutmaster 3/4depth

Software levels = Upgraded Height Control, Machine Control, Design Software.

New 2020 - Main Harness
New 2020 - New Computer - provided with machine price.

Transfer of machine and 1 seat paperwork ready to go.

(Monitor not Included)

Since he is using ohmic sensing, I would assume he has both levels of advanced height control. You say he as replaced the controller once already, and the ad says "new wiring harness".

For comparison, an brand new Plasmacam DHC2 is about $7995 plus shipping. The software upgrades he has will add about another $4,000. So he is not too far out of line on his asking price - assuming everything works as it should and he does indeed have the proper Plasmacam transfer of ownership form. I would also get the table serial number and call Plasmacam to verify that he is indeed the legal owner - before any cash changes hands.

His ad says the condition is "Like New". I disagree. It looks plenty used, and I would expect that it may need some other maintenance such as replacement of bearings, springs, belts, and maybe some gears. Also worst case, figure in $500 for controller repair (just in case it happens to have any problems we don't know about - since we can't see it run correctly).

The most I would want to pay for this (less plasma cutter) would probably be around $5k max. That's just me. I have seen others for sale in much better condition, and several never used still in the crates - and these were all very reasonably priced. So take your time.

David

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

What is most important is that the $3,000.00 controller box :Wow WORKS. Also, that the software is up to date (Current version DesignEdge v. 4.53). Or you will get NO support from PlasmaCam.

Is the table a DHC, or a DHC2? The Z motor (up and down) will be yellowish gray on the DHC, and black and square on the DHC2.

What upgrades are added to the BASIC software license?

Also, get the serial number of the table and call PlasmaCam prior to purchasing the table, to make sure there is no money OWED on that table. If he sells it to you and you register it with PlasmaCam, and they say there is an outstanding balance of $ ??? on the table, they will come after YOU to pay it.

You will have to have the seller sign a TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP form. I can E-mail one to you if you need it. Send a COPY of that form to PlasmaCam to transfer the table into your name. A COPY, (NOT the original) because PlasmaCam seems to "lose" mail, and if the original signed form is lost, you must go BACK to the seller to get him to sign another one.

The torch issue is probably not a big concern. If the table moves correctly, if there are no rattling or grinding noises, and the controller box works, and the price is RIGHT, then buy the table. Make sure the seller gives you the Product Code for the software. It will be something like "HG5R-3TX7" or something like that. The Z motor WILL rattle when the machine is initialized. It sounds like an elf machine gun. :HaHa

He is ALSO supposed to give you the software, and preferably the PC that the software is installed on. Sellers are not allowed to retain the use of the software once the table is sold. They did not BUY the software. It was LICENSED to them, and selling the table terminates that license. Too many people keep the PC and use the software for designing after they sell the tables.

How much use is on the table? Are the rails in good shape? The inner slot where the cam followers roll ... it is flat and straight, or is that lower edge mushroomed down? What do the steel grates look like? They are often a good way to determine the amount of use the table has had.

If you were close to me, I would drive up (or ride my motorcycle up :HaHa ) to check out the table for you. I am in Franklin, KY.

Good luck on your decision. I do believe that the PlasmaCam table is still the best choice among what I call the "Upper Level HOBBY Tables." I think the DesignEdge software is easy and FUN to use once you lean all of the tools.

Joe
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

Its just so unfortunate it was a 5.5 hour drive for me just to go look at it so I won't be going back anytime soon unless it is with cash and a trailer. I believe the only reason he modified the cap was because it set the tip of the electrode too far back from the opening. But yes I wish I would have been able to see it work 100%. If I could theoretically get just the table minus the cutter and get my own, in your experience do you think it would be working alright then? I know I kind of already asked that and it's obviously hard for you to know.

I asked for the serial number so I will definitely check that out. I checked most of the bearings and they seemed to be nice and tight, and the belts didn't look bad either. There was a problem with the controller so plasmacam sent him some replacement parts, as well as with the wires that connected to the z axis motor, so those are what he is referencing as replaced. Overall just frustrated I can't really go back just to look at it, and the fact that it has literally every upgrade desired. I'll have to ask him about it without the plasma cutter also.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Ah, I did not have a link to the ad. Apparently it has the "BIG THREE" upgrades. Okay. A new PC with it? Nice. David's response is spot on.

I would not call that machine "USED - LIKE NEW" It has obvious war wounds. It is filthy dirty. It has a r e d n e c k ohmic sensing setup. (darned politically correct filters!) :lol: The one photo I can see seems odd. Why is the backing plate and (apparently) the carriage assembly hovering so LOW over the grate points? The backing plate is fully up, but the torch looks like it would hit the grate tips when moved.

David is also correct about the price. I wouldn't pay over $5K-ish without seeing it run FLAWLESSLY.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

One thing to keep in mind is that the Cutmaster 82 was first produced around 2007, so it is definitely not the newest technology in plasma cutters, but Plasmacam has been around since 1997. It does not appear that OEM Ohmic shields are available for this torch.

cutmaster 82 consumables.jpg

Also, it would be hard to guess as to how much longer the Cutmaster 82 the seller is offering will continue to work without needing some repair and/or replacement. Since you did say he cut out a large letter "L" and it completed the cut, that is a good sign. Do you know if he was using the ohmic sensing or not? He could very easily change the settings on the height control tab from "Sense material to zero" to "Stall on material to zero" or "From previous location/cut height". In fact, you really need to see his Settings tabs to know what upgrades he really has. For both height control upgrades, his Settings/Height Control page should look like this.

DHC settings height control (1).jpg

If you want to verify what level of software upgrades he has installed, then you need to take a look at Settings, Activate levels to see. The boxes with the check marks indicate the levels that are installed. They should all have the dark check marks to indicate the most advanced levels. In the case of the table the seller is offering, the boxes for Height Control, Machine Control, and Design Software should all have a dark check mark in the corresponding box.

I would contact the seller and have him email you screen shots of all the settings pages, as well as the activate levels page. Also a photo of the serial number tag located on the front left leg just below the table.

You will ultimately need the Product ID number to install software upgrades. If he has the original Plasmacam cd box, it is located on the bottom of the inside of the front cover.

He would not necessarily have needed to upgraded to the current Design Edge version 4.53, but it would be good if he did. This is a free upgrade from the previous version. Have him screen shot his Help, About Design Edge tab to see what version is installed.

about design edge.jpg
activate levels.jpg
To answer your question below:

"If I could theoretically get just the table minus the cutter and get my own, in your experience do you think it would be working alright then? I know I kind of already asked that and it's obviously hard for you to know."

I would be willing to bet that the chances are better than 90 to 95 percent that given you buy the table, ditch the existing cutter and install a new Hypertherm 45xp, and if the screen shots he sends you verify the upgrade levels are there, then I think - yes it will work fine.

The Product ID will be shown in his "Activate Levels" screen shot. So as long as you call Plasmacam with the serial number and other information from the screenshots and they give it the OK, then you would be good to go after submitting and receiving Plasmacam approval of the transfer of ownership form.

So before you go back, get the screen shots I described above and verify that everything checks out. Do the same for the serial number.

While negotiating the final selling price, I would bring up all of these things. The dated plasma cutter with no proper ohmic sensing, the overall wear and tear the table has had, the effort you plan to expend to replace any worn parts, the cost of new replacement cutting grates, and so on. Offer him $6000 cash to take it off his hands. That would be for the complete table, plasma cutter, computer, parallel cable, ac power cords, and any additional consumables he has for the cutmaster 82 torch. Also get the manual/paperwork for the cutmaster 82, as well as any documentation he has to show the parts and repairs supplied by Plasmacam since he has owned the table. Do this before you make the drive to pick it up, and get a written sales agreement before hand describing what is being sold and the firm cash price. Once you have dotted and crossed all the I's and T's, then make the trip with cash in hand to collect your new toy.

David
Business Card.jpg
PS - If you wish to discuss this with me in further detail, give me a call.

Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Glstiles »

adbuch wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:30 pm Questions to ask:

David
Ill make this short since I know you gave me your number, and I'm quoting this entry because the other one was getting way too long!

My knowledge of ohmic sensing is limited in the Plasmacam sense. On the table I operated it had ohmic capabilities and THC. When the torch would touch the material, it would light up the "OHMIC" button on the software that was running, raise up to desired height, and cut. I assumed that was how Plasmacam software worked as well, just maybe without the light I was talking about. If most people with the upgraded THC do not use ohmic sensing or that is not how Plasmacam operates, then I really have no clue as to how the seller was using it.

Either way, I will inquire for some screenshots to be sure of the upgrades and whatnot.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Glstiles wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Ill make this short since I know you gave me your number, and I'm quoting this entry because the other one was getting way too long!

My knowledge of ohmic sensing is limited in the Plasmacam sense. On the table I operated it had ohmic capabilities and THC. When the torch would touch the material, it would light up the "OHMIC" button on the software that was running, raise up to desired height, and cut. I assumed that was how Plasmacam software worked as well, just maybe without the light I was talking about. If most people with the upgraded THC do not use ohmic sensing or that is not how Plasmacam operates, then I really have no clue as to how the seller was using it.

Either way, I will inquire for some screenshots to be sure of the upgrades and whatnot.
Ohmic sensing on Plasmacam works pretty much the same way but without the light. It lowers until it makes contact with the material and auto zeros, then raises up to the pierce height for pierce, then lowers to cut height and starts moving along the cut path. If he had it set on "stall on material to zero" with thicker material, you probably couldn't tell the difference while watching it go thru the motions. The whole point of having the advanced height control is to allow for ohmic sensing (this is a $998 upgrade) so I expect most folks would be using it - except in special circumstances.

David

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”