Compatible PCI-e Card for PlasmaCam DHC2 (Windows 10 x64)

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Compatible PCI-e Card for PlasmaCam DHC2 (Windows 10 x64)

Post by Evman »

Hey Guys,

Im currently trying to help a friend of mine out, he has a Plasmacam DHC2

Im helping him replace his computer, and I believe his parallel port in his old PC is a PCI (original) card, therefore it will not work in his new 64 bit machine that only have PCI-e ports (I have not yet opened up his old PC, and I don't have it in my possession at the moment). Therefore I think it would be best to replace the card.

I know a lot of people keep mentioning that this card should to the trick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q7X0Z8

But I was wondering if StarTech's newest model will suffice and operate as intended on Windows 10 x64 with this card: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1-P ... B091TZPQ1K

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by Evman on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Compatible PCI-e Card for PlasmaCam DHC2 (Windows 10 x64)

Post by rdj357 »

I sell the Axxon card and double shielded cables. (Link in my signature)

I know they are more expensive but, in my experience, it’s because they’re worth it. Some have used less expensive cards and had success, some they worked for several years and then quit. I’ve been using my Axxon card and cable over 5 years and not a single communication error.
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 pm I sell the Axxon card and double shielded cables. (Link in my signature)

I know they are more expensive but, in my experience, it’s because they’re worth it. Some have used less expensive cards and had success, some they worked for several years and then quit. I’ve been using my Axxon card and cable over 5 years and not a single communication error.
I greatly appreciate your input but that's a little out of the budget unfortunately. Do you happen to know if the original PC's PCI(E) (PC was purchased from plasmacam) card is PCI or PCI-e, here is a picture from the outside. If it is PCI-e I can just swap it out, and throw it in the new PC. I would have my friend open it up but he is older and not confident enough to open the case.

Here is the pic: Image
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I doubt that Robert can identify the exact card from your photo, but you never know. I would tell your friend to quit being such a "woos" and just pop the top off that computer so you will know exactly what you have.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 pm I’ve been using my Axxon card and cable over 5 years and not a single communication error.
Robert - same for my StarTech cards. It's been over 5 years now and never had a communication error. Maybe I have just been lucky. I know that John Derby also uses the StarTech card(s) in his Plasmacam pc(s). But it would stand to reason that a card costing several hundred dollars would be better than one selling for $25. Just my opinion.
David
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

Ill see if I can have him check, either way I should be okay as I have ordered both the PEX1P and the PEX1P2.

Thank you very much for your input guys!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

No problem. We're always happy to try to help.
David
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Here is how you can tell looking at the motherboard. I cannot tell looking at the back except to say that I don't believe the plugs are purple on any of the Axxon 5v high-quality cards. OEM computer manufacturers used purple to designate the printer cable port.
Difference-Between-PCI-and-PCI-Express_Figure-1.jpg
David, the card costs $165 and a 15' cord is $50 so that's $215 total - several hundred sounds so scary! lol Those low voltage ports work until they don't so here's hoping that's at least a long time if not forever! :-) I make such a small margin selling these that it's no big loss for me. I only stock them because so many of my students have wanted the benefit of the quality they offer and as a matter of convenience I have them at classes.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

Thank you for the info, I can easily identify a PCI-e Slot from a PCI slot. However, my friend cannot. I ordered both StarTech cards, so I should be fine. If his current Axxon one is PCI-e and not PCI ill just return the StarTech cards (as his new PC only has PCI-e slots available). If I need to use the StarTech cards, Ill report back here if their newest model works with Plasmacam Hardware. That way users on this forum will know if the newest model is compatible.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Evman wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:30 am Thank you for the info, I can easily identify a PCI-e Slot from a PCI slot. However, my friend cannot. I ordered both StarTech cards, so I should be fine. If his current Axxon one is PCI-e and not PCI ill just return the StarTech cards (as his new PC only has PCI-e slots available). If I need to use the StarTech cards, Ill report back here if their newest model works with Plasmacam Hardware. That way users on this forum will know if the newest model is compatible.
OK. Keep us posted.
Davide
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I figured you could send that picture to your friend so he could then easily identify.

Sounds like you have it under control! Thanks in advance for reporting back to let us know how it goes!
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

Great news guys, I installed the StarTech - PEX1P2 in my friend's Plasmacam machine today, and its 100% operational. It even comes with a low profile bracket for anyone who has a smaller form factor PC. So for anyone who wants an even cheaper card (Shipped and Sold by Amazon) look no further. Anyways just wanted to report back. Have a Merry Christmas!

P.S: Driver installation was a breeze, it doesn't come with a CD/DVD so I downloaded the Win 10 x64 drivers here: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-ad ... -downloads
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yep! I figured it would work - it's just the newer version of the Startech cards I use in my Plasmacam computers. Thanks for reporting back!
David

Merry Christmas !!!
colotroy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by colotroy »

Hmm.... I just built a new PC for my PlasmaCam. I mainly did that for a little more horsepower for my CAD. Anyway I got the StartTech PEX1P2 and it doesn't find the table. Is there anything you had to do other than an install of the driver to get it to work, any device config? Old PC with parallel port on MB works find, new PC with StartTech PEX1P2 looks like the parallel port is working properly but it does not see the table.

I should add that I go to the settings page and click on the autodetect button and it doesn't... lol It times out and throws a message that says it couldn't sense the plasmacam device, power it off and on, etc....

Any ideas? Thanks!

Win10 64bit pro
DHC2 table
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

colotroy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:14 pm Hmm.... I just built a new PC for my PlasmaCam. ....Anyway I got the StartTech PEX1P2 and it doesn't find the table. ....

1. Install driver for the parallel card.
2. Go into device manager and go to the LPT port settings. Check the box es for "Use any interrupt assigned to this port" and "Enable Legacy Plug n Play"
3. Look at the resource tab for the port and write down the first hex address.
4. In Design Edge/Plasmacam go to Machine -> Settings -> System Setup. Under Parallel Port settings, uncheck the AUTO box and enter the Hex addreess for the card. Check the low voltage card box also.
5. Press OK on the dialog box NOT autodetect.
6. Open settings again and confirm Hex address is correct and low voltage card is checked.
7. Make sure parallel port is connected, power on Plasmacam controller and make sure the pause light is flashing.
8. Put a check in the Auto box and press the autodetect button.

Hopefully it will say, Machine Successfully Detected and then you can initialize and use the machine.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:14 pm
colotroy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:14 pm Hmm.... I just built a new PC for my PlasmaCam. ....Anyway I got the StartTech PEX1P2 and it doesn't find the table. ....

1. Install driver for the parallel card.
2. Go into device manager and go to the LPT port settings. Check the box es for "Use any interrupt assigned to this port" and "Enable Legacy Plug n Play"
3. Look at the resource tab for the port and write down the first hex address.
4. In Design Edge/Plasmacam go to Machine -> Settings -> System Setup. Under Parallel Port settings, uncheck the AUTO box and enter the Hex addreess for the card. Check the low voltage card box also.
5. Press OK on the dialog box NOT autodetect.
6. Open settings again and confirm Hex address is correct and low voltage card is checked.
7. Make sure parallel port is connected, power on Plasmacam controller and make sure the pause light is flashing.
8. Put a check in the Auto box and press the autodetect button.

Hopefully it will say, Machine Successfully Detected and then you can initialize and use the machine.
:Like :Like :Like
colotroy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by colotroy »

Sorry, it took me a little time to get back to this... but that did it. I did get a message something to the effect that I'm using a card that isn't the best, but I expect that's the sales pitch for the supported $200 card. It seems to work fine.

Thanks for taking the time to document those steps!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

colotroy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:19 pm Sorry, it took me a little time to get back to this... but that did it. I did get a message something to the effect that I'm using a card that isn't the best, but I expect that's the sales pitch for the supported $200 card. It seems to work fine.

Thanks for taking the time to document those steps!
Which card did you install? And did you get the message from Design Edge? What did the message say? A screen shot would be nice.
Thanks,
David
colotroy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by colotroy »

Ok, I was able to recreate the message by entering a bad hex addr, click autodetect, then entering the good addr, click autodetect....

StartTech PEX1P2

PlasmaCam_err.PNG
PlasmaCam_ver.JPG

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

So this message only appears if you enter a bad hex address? I have been using the older version of the StarTech card for over 5 years now in two of my Plasmacam PCs and never received any errors. I also purchased another of the same card in 2021 and have had no problems with that one either. Perhaps you originally entered a "bad hex address" and that gave your error message.
David
StarTech pci-e parallel port card.jpg

colotroy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by colotroy »

It happens with the good hex addr, with the bad hex addr it just times out and never detects the table.

I did just get a loss of communications message and have the table stop cutting. I didn't capture the message, it happened at the beginning of a cut and I figured I was hosed and it would happen every time. However, I just started the cut again and it cut both pieces with no problems but it doesn't sound like I have this straightened out yet. If/when it happens again I'll get a screen shot of the message.

The amazon add you have pictured above will result in the new card being delivered, I tried the PEX2P first then figured what the heck and tried to order the PEX1P but that will get you the 2P again... lol

I did install the updated driver for the card off their site.

I'll also mention this is the same cable that's been working with the table since it was new. I've only had the table for a month now but bought from a good friend when he upgraded to a laser table.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Make sure you are using a high quality double shielded cable as well. I always bought the older version, even when the newer one appeared. I like to stick with what works and not experiment with newer items (if at all possible). Perhaps the older version is available elsewhere. Worst case buy the Axxon card from Robert Johnson.
David
colotroy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by colotroy »

Thanks for the link, I didn't think about ebay. This cable has worked for years and works with old PC so it should be ok. I may try older car if I get the communications error message again. That could really suck if I'm 1/2 way through a big part.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”