Hello

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello

Post by Evman »

Would like to introduce myself, I have a friend of mine with a Plasmacam DHC2. I am trying to ask a few questions but unfortunately my posts require moderator approval. Anyways, looking forward to hopefully receiving some guidance here. Thanks!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello

Post by adbuch »

He Evan, and welcome to the forum. I did receive your email and will try to answer it here.

You asked:
"I'm so sorry to email you personally, however I'm unable to post on PlasmaSpider because I'm a new member and it requires moderator approval.

Im currently trying to help a friend of mine out, he has a Plasmacam DHC2
Im helping him replace his computer, and I believe his parallel port in his old PC is a PCI (original) card, therefore it will not work in his new 64 bit machine that only have PCI-e ports. Therefore I think it would be best to replace the card.
I know a lot of people keep mentioning that this card should to the trick: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Por ... r-PCI1PECP
But I was wondering if StarTech's newest model will suffice and operate as intended on Windows 10 x64 with this card: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1- ... B091TZPQ1K

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Best,
Evan"

I personally use this StarTech parallel port card in my 3 Plasmacam control computers. I have been using these in two of these computers for over 5 years now with no problems whatsoever. As the Amazon listing says - there is a newer version available for a lower cost. I would expect the newer version would work just as well - but I have not tried it so I can't say for sure. I would go ahead and buy the cheaper one and try it out. You can always return it and get the older model it you run into any snags.
David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q ... UTF8&psc=1
parallel port card Startech older version.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

Thank you so much for the prompt reply Adbunch. It is greatly appreciated!

I would buy the more expensive one however I get weary buying things on Amazon that are not sold/shipped directly from Amazon. The newer StarTech model is shipped/sold by Amazon, so if I were to buy one I think I'd go with the PEX1P2.

The old computer that's going to be replaced has an Axxon card in it, however my friend doesn't feel comfortable opening the case to see if its PCI or PCI-e, based off of this picture would you happen to know if its PCI-e vs old PCI? Because if its the former, I can just swap it out and throw in it the new PC

Here is a picture: Image
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I can't tell anything from the photo. My best advise would be to go ahead and order both cards (older and newer version) on Amazon. The new version will be at your door on Sunday, and the older version will take about a week or so longer to receive. Just return the one you don't need. I order hundreds of items per year from Amazon and their sellers and have never had a problem. Amazon stands behind all transactions.
David
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

adbuch wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:16 pm I can't tell anything from the photo. My best advise would be to go ahead and order both cards (older and newer version) on Amazon. The new version will be at your door on Sunday, and the older version will take about a week or so longer to receive. Just return the one you don't need. I order hundreds of items per year from Amazon and their sellers and have never had a problem. Amazon stands behind all transactions.
David
Great idea! I just ordered the PEX1P & the PEX1P2. As far as driver installation goes do you have any guidance on the proper procedure for driver installation on Win 10 x64?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

These parallel port card should come with a cd driver installation disc. If not, then the drivers are available as downloads from StarTech.
David
Evman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Evman »

adbuch wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 pm These parallel port card should come with a cd driver installation disc. If not, then the drivers are available as downloads from StarTech.
David
Excellent, thank you again for the extremely helpful posts!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Evman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:40 pm
adbuch wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 pm These parallel port card should come with a cd driver installation disc. If not, then the drivers are available as downloads from StarTech.
David
Excellent, thank you again for the extremely helpful posts!
You are welcome! Happy to help.
David

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”