Where Is Everybody?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Where Is Everybody?

Post by Joe Jones »

I swear, the PlasmaCam community is comprised mostly of HERMITS! There are never any posts here on PlasmaSpider, the best Internet forum for cnc plasma folks, or on The Owners Community Forum. You are not on CNC Zone, or any other forum I can find. Do you just keep to yourselves and not participate in things like social media? These tables are all across the country. Some of the larger cities may have five or more tables in the same city! There are at least TEN of them in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Do you all just keep to yourselves, and bark at any PlasmaCam owner who comes near your fence? :lol: I've never seen a large group of people who share a common interest be so anti-social.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Where Is Everybody?

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

It's summertime, they are busy with projects to pay for playtime. Then they go playtime when the projects are done. :-D
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I guess ...
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe they're embarrassed, and don't want anyone else to know that they bought a PlasmaCam. :Yay
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns

djreiswig wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 pm Maybe they're embarrassed, and don't want anyone else to know that they bought a PlasmaCam. :Yay
:HaHa :HaHa :HaHa
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

:HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa Oh man that made my day!
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

or too busy working the main job to pay for the software upgrade and unlocking codes for the blue and yellow boat anchor...

or on hold with customer support trying to get ownership transferred on a second hand one, begging and pleading only to realise they only own the table not the software to make it work..... and the previous owner is deceased..... no chance of that transfer of ownership form being signed from beyond the grave.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 pm Maybe they're embarrassed, and don't want anyone else to know that they bought a PlasmaCam. :Yay
I don't care who you are! That is FUNNY! :HaHa

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:44 pm or too busy working the main job to pay for the software upgrade and unlocking codes for the blue and yellow boat anchor...

or on hold with customer support trying to get ownership transferred on a second hand one, begging and pleading only to realise they only own the table not the software to make it work..... and the previous owner is deceased..... no chance of that transfer of ownership form being signed from beyond the grave.
Had a BAD experience with PlasmaCam, did you? :lol:

These "boat anchors" sure churn out a lot of great metal art and parts, and DesignEdge runs circles around any other software. That is just a fact.

You might disagree, but set up a PlasmaCam and a PC with DesignEdge. Set up ANY OTHER plasma table next to it, with ANY OTHER SOFTWARE on the computer. Give each person a task to perform, and a part to produce, based on instructions, or dimensions, or blueprints, or a simple pencil sketch, or a photograph, or whatever. I guarantee you that the PlasmaCam owner will be admiring his finished piece and enjoying lunch, while the other guy is still trying to START the cutting process.

As for buying a used table ... Why bother to tell PlasmaCam? :roll: They won't warranty it. You can only legally do what THAT TABLE'S DesignEdge license lets you do, unless you want to add additional upgrades to THAT table's DE license.

Yes, by registering the table into your name, you can then buy parts for it, but you can buy parts for it anyway, if you already own one of the same model. If you own a 4x4 and buy a used 5x10, there are some parts they will not sell to you. But if you own a Go Torch, you can buy anything.

I've never understood the burning desire to report a used table purchase to PlasmaCam. If you buy it for PARTS, there is no benefit whatsoever. If you buy it to run it as a second table, you may be content with it AS IS. If you convert the table to a ROUTER table, or make it a dedicated pipe cutter, or whatever, WHY must PlasmaCam know about it? I suppose it is worth telling them that you bought the table so you can update the software, but I can't think of any other legitimate reason for telling them anything.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Reading these posts is better than a good book. I LOVE IT!

Allen
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Most of us are out cutting stuff, making money, and having fun! :HaHa
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

rdj357 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 am Most of us are out cutting stuff, making money, and having fun! :HaHa
..... probably the case.... once you get it your too busy using it to talk about it...
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:23 pm
rdj357 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 am Most of us are out cutting stuff, making money, and having fun! :HaHa
..... probably the case.... once you get it your too busy using it to talk about it...
You're right about that! All of the PlasmaCam owners are busy cutting metal and making money. That probably accounts for the fact that most of the posts here asking for help and discussing problems with their tables and software are from people who DO NOT own PlasmaCam tables. :lol:
Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

SegoMan DeSigns

^^^ Yeah some of us don't need plans or pre-builts to make things happen ^^^^

As I recall it was not that long ago when you had a major gripe with the land of "Blue & Yellow" on transferring over to a new computer :Sad
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Everybody, owners included, gripe about the company and the way it's run at least occasionally.

The fact remains that they have as many or more tables in the market than any comparable competitor, have been in business as long or longer than any other table manufacturer in their market segment, and have several patents on technology related to plasma cutting and height control with a personal computer.

Bitch about them all you want, they are simple, capable, and they work. There are absolutely other options that also work and some could successfully argue that they work or are better. Such is life, it's all about perspective and experience.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:34 pm ^^^ Yeah some of us don't need plans or pre-builts to make things happen ^^^^

As I recall it was not that long ago when you had a major gripe with the land of "Blue & Yellow" on transferring over to a new computer :Sad

You are absolutely correct! In this day and age, with high speed Internet connections and everything, there is no reason on Earth why it should be so difficult to move a legitimate DesignEdge SEAT from one PC to another PC. But PlasmaCam seems to do everything by carrier pigeon. Nothing happens, until the signature is scribed unto the parchment paper in the dark of the night, under the dim glow of a flickering lantern. The parchment is then rolled carefully, and sealed with hot wax and the official PlasmaCam Golden Ring Impression into the wax. Then the proclamation is tied with a golden ribbon of silk, and carried by a trusted servant from Arizona to Colorado, where the parchment is unrolled, the proclamation is read aloud from the balcony of the palace, and all of the towns people have bowed their heads in a moment of silence. At least that is how it SEEMS to work.

Buying and installing another seat, or an upgrade, or moving a seat to a different PC SHOULD be able to be done in a flash, online, even on Christmas Eve.

I am not sure how this relates to non-PlasmaCam owners posting their problems and seeking answers here though :roll:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I think some guys are taking this thread too seriously

it's just a bit of banter

I don't own one, never seen one, and not likely to.

I wouldn't buy one and even if it were free I still wouldn't take one.

I would like one of those controllers though.... if anyone has an old non working one....

I'd like to do a teardown and reverse engineer solution for those owners or new owners who bought an old table (98?) that is no longer supported and they want you to shell out the $2k to upgrade it to the new software

a plug and play solution would be great.

feel sorry for those guys getting a table and the pc is not working and they have parallel port issues.

I don't care about designedge .... never seen it. never used it and have no interest in either.

I don't make money from my table it's a hobby, I am just happy with my day job.

but I love to learn new things and designing a plug and play alternative would be a great project for me. just need a zero cost controller that's broke
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:53 am I think some guys are taking this thread too seriously

it's just a bit of banter
RIGHT! Everyone is walking on eggshells! No one can take a JOKE anymore.
I don't own one, never seen one, and not likely to. I wouldn't buy one and even if it were free I still wouldn't take one.
Hmmm ... You were "Mikey" in those old Life Cereal commercials, weren't you! :lol:
I would like one of those controllers though.... if anyone has an old non working one....
They pop up on eBay every now and then.
I'd like to do a teardown and reverse engineer solution for those owners or new owners who bought an old table (98?) that is no longer supported and they want you to shell out the $2k to upgrade it to the new software
Closer to $6K

A word of warning: BEWARE the "free" controller that arrives in your mailbox from an anonymous donor. PlasmaCam takes the reverse engineering of their boxes very seriously.
a plug and play solution would be great. I feel sorry for those guys getting a table and the pc is not working and they have parallel port issues.
Those problems are easily solved, when using the CORRECT parallel port cards and cables. People try to go cheap, and then complain about the results.
I don't care about designedge .... never seen it. never used it and have no interest in either.
If you HAD access to the software, along with some training on how to use it, DesignEdge would quickly become your GO TO software for designing most everything. That is just a fact.
I don't make money from my table it's a hobby, I am just happy with my day job... but I love to learn new things and designing a plug and play alternative would be a great project for me. just need a zero cost controller that's broke
and a talented software coder, and a good attorney, for when PlasmaCam sues you for reverse engineering their box, and THEY WILL :roll:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Jack of all trades
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jack of all trades »

It is a great table once you fix communication issues (ground computer power supply to the control box). I purchased the computer from plasmacam and still had issues until I installed the ground wire.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Jack of all trades wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:14 am It is a great table once you fix communication issues (ground computer power supply to the control box). I purchased the computer from plasmacam and still had issues until I installed the ground wire.
I would guess that less than 5% of PlasmaCam table owners actually take the time to pound an 8-foot copper grounding rod through the shop floor, and ground the table to it. Once that is done, you need to pour a little water down the hole every now and then, to maintain proper GROUND with the soil. If the soil dries out, the ground is lost.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:06 am
and a talented software coder, and a good attorney, for when PlasmaCam sues you for reverse engineering their box, and THEY WILL :roll:
problem is they got to sue me under UK law.
send all the letters you want just let me know when the summons date is and I'll be there
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:21 pm
send all the letters you want just let me know when the summons date is and I'll be there
They would not come from me.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 pm
robertspark wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:21 pm
They would not come form me.

Joe
why are you even concerned what plasmacam would or may do? are you sponsored by them? are you paid by them? do you work for them? if all cases are no then don't even concern yourself.

anyway I wasn't so much going to reverse engineer their control box but have a look at making a plugin adapter so that a pcam user could still use all the stepper and servos and it would work with other software. as I said I couldn't give a flying £&+# about their software and control algorithms.

designedge may be great for you but I have been using AutoCAD for 25 years now as a day job and Revit, inventor, fusion360, freecad in between. inventor I think I enjoyed the most, for complete assemblies. I fail to see what designedge could do better at especially plasma.

sure it may offer an all in one package but sheetcam should not be discounted as it just works and is so simple
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

robertspark wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:43 pm sure it may offer an all in one package but sheetcam should not be discounted as it just works and is so simple
I couldn't agree more!! :Like :Like :Like

That's why I am a little concerned about Les announcing his retirement..
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:43 pm
why are you even concerned what plasmacam would or may do? are you sponsored by them? are you paid by them? do you work for them? if all cases are no then don't even concern yourself.
Silly of me, to be concerned about helping YOU avoid a lawsuit. Sorry to have troubles you.
anyway I wasn't so much going to reverse engineer their control box but have a look at making a plugin adapter so that a pcam user could still use all the stepper and servos and it would work with other software. as I said I couldn't give a flying £&+# about their software and control algorithms.
It has been tried many times. It cannot be done.
designedge may be great for you but I have been using AutoCAD for 25 years now as a day job and Revit, inventor, fusion360, freecad in between. inventor I think I enjoyed the most, for complete assemblies. I fail to see what designedge could do better at especially plasma.

sure it may offer an all in one package but sheetcam should not be discounted as it just works and is so simple
There are many programs out there. I know nothing about Sheetcam. Is it an all in one program like designEdge? Can it create and alter DXF files, convert jpg images to vector files, be adaptable to run a router on a table, and also run the table to cut them with a plasma torch? Can Sheetcam do all of this WITHOUT needing to learn a darned thing about G-Code?

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”