PlasmaCam font issue

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
indianbil
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member

PlasmaCam font issue

Post by indianbil »

For some reason I am unable to get a font in ttf form to show up in Design Edge?
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: font issue

Post by Joe Jones »

Do you have BASIC or ADVANCED DesignEdge software, and which version are you running?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

When you install a font onto your PC, that does not necessarily install the font into the folder that DesignEdge uses for its fonts. It is best to drag and drop the unzipped .ttf font directly into the PlasmaCam FONT folder.

Open
C:
Program Files (x86) (folder)
PlasmaCAM (folder)
FONTS (folder)

Drop the font into that group and close the folder. The NEXT TIME you open DesignEdge, the added font will appear in the software drop down list of available fonts.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

indianbil wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:09 pm For some reason I am unable to get a font in ttf form to show up in Design Edge?
From Design Edge, try looking in the Windows folder.

David
windows folder.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

indianbil

Post by indianbil »

OK, so the file is in design edge windows box checked and still does not come up.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Did you INSTALL the font onto your computer, or just ADD it to a font folder?

What is the name of the font you are trying to install? Can you attach the file to a reply? I will see if I can install it onto my PC.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

indianbil

Post by indianbil »

I have tried many more fonts with same result the font is Rosanna in 1001 free fonts
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I believe you! I tried to load several fonts. They all load onto the PC and they all show up in WORD, but they CANNOT be added to DesignEdge!

It is time to let PlasmaCam know about this!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

indianbil wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:25 am I have tried many more fonts with same result the font is Rosanna in 1001 free fonts
I tried to install this font into Design Edge, and although it does show up on the Plasmacam Fonts folder it does not show up on the fonts list when I open Design Edge. I installed it into both the Design Edge Fonts folder and the Windows Fonts folder.
Rosanna font in DE folder.jpg
The windows font version does show up in Inkscape.
Rosanna font Inkscape 1.jpg
So the work-around is to type your text in Inkscape, then "Path, Union" to eliminate crossovers, save as dxf R14, and then import to Design Edge for use with your project.

David

Rosanna font Inkscape 2.jpg
Rosanna font Inkscape 3.jpg
Rosanna font Inkscape 4.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you wish to fit the text to a curved path, do it in Inkscape and then save as dxf for import to Design Edge. Trying to fit to curved path using Design Edge will not produce good results using this particular font.
David
Rosanna font Inkscape 5.jpg

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I notified PlasmaCam of their glitch, that the new version 4.57 will not allow ANY font to be added to the DesignEdge font library.

I see a version 4.58 in the near future :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

The problem is not with Design Edge - the font files for Rosanna say TTF but they are incompatible for some reason.

The font came with both OTF and TTF files so I uploaded and converted the OTF files to TTF using Convertio.co and they will work fine in Design Edge.
rosanna font DE.jpeg

Joe Jones

Re: PlasmaCam font issue

Post by Joe Jones »

I saw the OTF files but I have not worked with them. However, NO FONTS will load into my 4.57 DesignEdge. So I will continue to believe it has something to do with recent changes in the micro-security-updates that PlasmaCam seems to view as a priority over adding actual design features that their customers crave. :Sad

I am not bashing PlasmaCam or the owner of DesignEdge software. I am simply stating a fact. DesignEdge MAY once have been the cat's meow for design software, but I am now looking at other options and quite frankly, there is some SERIOUS competition out there for drawing VECTOR ART.

Most software ditched the old coordinates system. Some use on-screen adjustable dimensions. Some are able to change the FONT of text placed into a design by selecting the text! Some offer LAYERS! Some give you options to fill in a design with COLORS for presentation to a customer. Some let you draw a horizontal lin and it will pick up the "inference" point to show you where to stop and make a right turn to intercept that end point below.

There are a hundred different and awesome features that could be added to DesignEdge to RETURN it to the top choice in Design software, but sadly, DesignEdge is being left behind, as it sits with its arms crossed and heels dug in, refusing to acknowledge that 1980's software that once excelled, has been overtaken with much better options. I don't blame them though. They know that PlasmaCam owners would not respond well to a $10,000.00 MEGA-UPGRADE software package, and I am fairly certain that version 5.xx would come at a price in that neighborhood.

They are not going to improve DesignEdge unless it translates into millions of dollars in sales. I would GLADLY pay $98.00 :lol: for each REAL feature they add. Doing the math, if 50% of PlasmaCam owners each bought the additional features at $98.00 each as they are released, I think PlasmaCam would see a nice cash flow. for whatever reason, they chose instead, to raise the price of the various table components to "I'm gonna SELL thing thing!" levels. $500.00 for a carriage or gantry motor? $2,000.00 for a carriage assembly? :Wow

I use Lightburn software for certain tasks, simply because it does some things BETTER than DesignEdge, and that is a $60.00 program designed for the guys and gals with lasers. I use CRICUT software to color in designs. I use VECTOR-Q on my iPad to do things DesignEdge cannot do, such as drawing in bridges to eliminate islands. You can draw them with an Apple pencil and then automatically combine the entire design in one action! I am learning Fusion 360. I have Google SketchUp, and DesignSpark Mechanical too.

I guess DesignEdge just feels that we can fill in the shortcomings of DesignEdge by using other software, but isn't that abandoning the original concept of DesignEdge, that of being an ALL-IN-ONE software package?

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:07 am The problem is not with Design Edge - the font files for Rosanna say TTF but they are incompatible for some reason.

The font came with both OTF and TTF files so I uploaded and converted the OTF files to TTF using Convertio.co and they will work fine in Design Edge.
Thanks, Robert. I suppose the extra step is not TOO troublesome. I have to wonder though. If a font qualifies as a "TrueType Font" (.ttf) shouldn't it BE a TrueType Font before it can be given the ".ttf" extension? :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

indianbil

Post by indianbil »

Did the OTF file conversion and now it works great, Thank You all for the help and I did let Brian know of the issue and let Jason know as well.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yes, there are work arounds... Convertio.co does convert the file to a true .ttf file that you can then install into DesignEdge.

Joe
ROSANNA JPG.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:07 am The problem is not with Design Edge - the font files for Rosanna say TTF but they are incompatible for some reason.

rosanna font DE.jpeg
Thanks Robert! I knew if anybody would know what to do here, you would be the guy. I'm using 4.53 and could not get it to work, so I don't think it is version dependent. Just a problem with this particular font.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:28 pm I'm using 4.53 and could not get it to work, so I don't think it is version dependent. Just a problem with this particular font.
David
Unfortunately, the same problem seems to crop up with ALL fonts in v4.57. I can't get any .ttf font to load into DesignEdge.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

I have no problems with adding or using TTF fonts in v4.57. What exact issue are you having? It seems you got the font mentioned here to install and work???

Also, I have had other TTF files that did not work. It happens - font designers aren't always the most meticulous about details. It's rare but it happens.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm I have no problems with adding or using TTF fonts in v4.57. What exact issue are you having? It seems you got the font mentioned here to install and work???

Also, I have had other TTF files that did not work. It happens - font designers aren't always the most meticulous about details. It's rare but it happens.
I was only able to install the Rosanna.ttf font into DesignEdge AFTER running it through Convertio.co. Other .ttf fonts randomly chosen from (insert name of free font site here) will not install in 4.57 either. I do not know why!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”