A Deal I Could Not Refuse!

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

A Deal I Could Not Refuse!

Post by Joe Jones »

So I traded in my 2018 F150 with 86K miles on it, and drove home in a new 2022 F250 Super Duty pickup. I really hated to give away the F150, but I had searched the usual forums ... F150 owners, Ford enthusiasts, etc., and ALL of them basically told me that, yeah ... the 2018 F150 with that 3.5L V6 EcoBOOST motor is great, but at 100K miles, break out the checkbook! Apparently that is when everything starts to fail, and fixing it is 'Spensive, Lucy! :lol: So I hit two dealers, and one of them gave me a great deal on the trade.

I was worried about a few things. The F250 doesn't get anywhere near the fuel mileage of the F150, due to its weight and the V8 engine, etc. It is longer and taller than the other truck. I wasn't sure it would fit into my garage. The insurance would be more, and the taxes and registration would increase as well.

State Farm eased some of my concerns. With all of the built-in safety features of the F250, my annual insurance premium only increased by 88 CENTS. Awesome!

I drove it home and s-l-o-w-l-y backed it into my garage, stopping every few inches to make sure it would clear the door and FIT inside. The top of the truck cleared the door entrance with only 1/8" of space. I could slip an aluminum yard stick from HFT between the truck and the door frame, like a feeler gauge. 10 more lb. of air pressure in the tires and it wouldn't fit!

I backed the truck in slowly, until the trailer hitch made contact with the rear wall. Then I went to lower the door... Whew! It cleared the front bumper tow hooks with only one inch of space remaining.

Now I had to add a beneath-the-bed ball hitch for a future gooseneck trailer purchase, if I could ever afford one. When I drove up to the RV place to have the hitch installed, I couldn't believe my eyes. There it was! The EXACT trailer I wanted! It was a custom build for another customer who backed out of the deal.

I've been hunting for this trailer for four years. I decided I would need to have it custom built to my specs, and that is costly. They don't usually MAKE gooseneck trailers with single wheel 7K axles, and a deck-over bed only 20 feet long. It is somewhat of an albatross, but it is exactly what I wanted.

So what was the deal I couldn't refuse? I talked with the trailer dealership owner, who was angry about having the trailer built, only to have the customer back out of the deal AFTER he paid for the construction. The retail price of the trailer was $23,000.00, but through divine intervention or whatever, I was able to buy that trailer brand spanking new and built exactly to my specs for only $10,695.00

My step-dad always said, "It is better to be lucky, than smart!"

Now I am beginning to work on the mods I want to add, and that will involve my plasma table, of course, along with other things. I only needed to crank down the landing gear ONCE to convince me to buy a 12K electric motor for that job! I don't know what else will be added yet, or in what order.

Joe
52782937100_f5093444a7_c.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: A Deal I Could Not Refuse!

Post by DieselFumes »

Sweet rig Joe, you gotta be stoked about that :Like
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

DieselFumes wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 am Sweet rig Joe, you gotta be stoked about that :Like
I do like the possibilities it offers. You know about Uber and Lyft, and Door Dash and Grub Hub, and others. Well, people with equipment that is able to move LARGE things on a moment's notice also have options like this. In my local community, I can get the word out that I am available as 'Johnny on the Spot' to move a load of lumber or plywood, or a large whatever. I can even set it up with ramps for vehicle transport.

I am currently setting up the trailer for FAST hitching and unhitching of the ball in the center of the bed. That hand crank ... NOPE! 500 turns to go from fully retracted to OFF of the ball hitch?!? It only took ONE time to crank that thing up and down, and I went straight to Amazon to buy the BULLDOG 12K tongue weight motor winder for landing gear! :wink: It is also VERY slow though, because it is geared down for torque. The usual solution is to lug around huge blocks of wood or concrete to place beneath the feet, to shorten the stroke required to lift the trailer off of the ball. That means repeatedly lifting those blocks into and out of the truck, or a trailer storage box, or whatever.

Some people just leave their landing gear hanging low, to reduce the amount of cranking necessary for the hitching process. This is illegal, and it is also a GREAT way to get hung up on railroad tracks, and other obstacles. You Tube is replete with videos of freight trains plowing through large trailers stuck across the tracks for JUST that reason! :lol:

So, being the redneck engineer that I are, I designed something that will speed up the hitching process by several minutes. I am so jazzed by the drawing, that I cannot wait to build it, to see if it works as I suspect it will.

One of the things about these trailers with landing gear, is that you need to carry these tall and heavy blocks of wood or concrete to place under the feet of the landing gear, to take up some of the vertical space between cranking it fully UP to fully DOWN. I have back issues, and the very last thing I want to do is to lug large and heavy blocks around, and lift them off of the ground and into the high truck bed repeatedly, to speed up the hitching process.

So I came up with a way to mount the blocks on a pivoting arm. 12" tall pods with a 64 sq.in, footprint are stored above the legs, and rotate down and centered below the feet, before the winding gear is ever used. 15 minutes of hand cranking for one hitch/unhitch cycle is eliminated! The landing gear only needs to come down one inch to contact the pod, which is on a telescoping bar that is spring loaded, like a pogo stick. The feet will then push the pod to the ground in only a couple of inches, and then the trailer will begin to lift off of the ball.

Once the truck is out of the way, the gear is then partially retracted, and the legs are retracted to align holes for a U-Bolt lock that is placed through the legs. This lock offers and 18mm hardened steel shank. It is said to be the toughest lock out there. :roll:

The locks will be low enough to make hitching to the gooseneck difficult or impossible, without raising the nose. The Kryptonite locks will help to prevent theft, or at least slow down the thief long enough for me to grab by gu ... er ... Bible, to go out to chat with the lad about Jesus until the cops arrive. :mrgreen:

Joe
NEW YORK LOCK.jpeg

Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I also bought this bitchin' (70's term) hitch camera. It has its own WiFi, so you stick it to the gooseneck with magnets, and it looks straight down. The image appears on the iPhone or iPad mounted in my truck, to make alignment of the hitch and ball effortless. no more hopping in and out of the truck to move two inches this way ... three inches that way...

Joe
HITCH CAMERA.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This is the conceptual drawing for the leg pods. The idea is to drop a 12" tall block directly beneath the feet, to greatly reduce the hitch / unhitch time.

What are you thought on my designs? The 1-1/2" square tube is telescoping, and the interior tube stretches down against an internal spring (like a pogo stick :wink: ) as the 4"x4" legs push the pod to the ground. Then the les continues to raise the hitch off of the ball. When the truck is moved, the legs are fully retracted. The feet are on pivoting X and Y pins, to allow for stable settling onto uneven ground.

Joe
POD LIFT SYSTEM.jpg
ISO JACK CONCEPT.jpg

Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Pretty cool idea on the flip foot... we use these on our car haulers
https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/flip-jack-foot
Whats the details on the camera? I've been looking into them myself..
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:59 pm Pretty cool idea on the flip foot... we use these on our car haulers
Whats the details on the camera? I've been looking into them myself..
The camera is a good clear image CLOSE UP. The resolution is low, because a WiFi connection from a cheap camera cannot transmit a 4K video stream. However, there is NO LAG in the video. I tested it by setting it a distance away and waving my arm. It was instantaneous, and that is critical when you are relying on a camera to keep you from crashing into something :-o

The camera was only $102.00, and offers NO audio. The image flips on both the X and Y axis, so you have several mounting options, done with STRONG rate Earth magnets. Keep this thing away from your credit cards :shock:

When I took it out of the box, there was no buyer's remorse. I had no thoughts of having paid to much for what I got. The camera is SILOD in construction and it does what it is supposed to do; give you a clear wireless video feed to an iPhone, iPad or Android phone.

I did turn it on and leave it in my room while I took a walk around my house. It never lost the signal, so it is certainly good as a backup camera for an RV towing a boat, or whatever. I don't know about battery life, but I suspect you can get a reliable hour or two out of it. Of course, it is only intended to give you MINUTES of service to hitch a trailer, or unload something, etc.

I give this camera an 8 out of 10. It connected to my iPhone and iPad effortlessly. However, the screen on the iPad was smaller, since it cannot send an image at full iPad resolution. It was a little larger than what I see on my iPhone 14 PRO MAX.

If you want a simple camera to watch for the pizza guy, or to "spy" on something for a period of time, this is certainly a good choice.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:59 pm Pretty cool idea on the flip foot... we use these on our car haulers
Yep. My gooseneck has landing gear jacks, which are different from ball hitch tongue jacks, but it is the same principle. Also, there is a lot more weight on a loaded gooseneck jack than on a crank down tongue jack.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:59 pm Pretty cool idea on the flip foot...
I am thinking about using THESE as the feet! I would weld a steel plate to one side, to mate up to the 4" square tube leg, and an 8"x8" steel plate to the other side to act as the ground contact foot! Easy, Peasy!

Joe
U JOINT FEET.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I went to my local Tractor Supply to look at yokes for a U-Joint with 1.25" caps. Sheesh! At $97.00 each, that would be nearly $400.00 for two trailer feet.

As I was about to leave, I looked higher on the top shelf. There were two yokes with the proper cap diameters, and they were priced at only $25.00 each! I asked why they were marked down ... Just like the trailer, a customer ordered these "special" yolks and then backed out of the sale. So the store couldn't really sell them as a regular item, because the gorilla put small dents in the machined holes that the caps slide through. Since these will not be used AS U joints, I will just get rid of those dings with a die grinder.

I needed FOUR of these, so I bought the two for only $53.00 including Kentucky Sales Tax, a savings of over $150.00 :HaHa

Then I opened up my iPad in the truck ... six more TS stores around me. Time to go for a drive!

I went to two locations, but there were no yokes marked down at those locations. They were all the usual $97 price and higher. No joy.

The fourth store in Gallatin, TN had the same yokes, but way up on a top shelf and almost out of sight, there they were! Two more yolks of a different style for 1.25" caps, marked down to $64.00 each from $97.00. Another $66.00 saved!

So I bought them! They do not match the other two, but for my design it doesn't matter. I will use one Type-A yoke and one Type-B yoke as a set on each side. The mounts are key slots on one side and a splined shaft mount on the other side, but all of them are going to be welded to 1/2" flat steel plates, so their mount designs don't matter. :HaHa

I also bought two 1.25" U Joints, so now I have everything I need for this project.

What could have cost me $400.00 and change for the four yokes ended up costing only $197.00. I love it when a plan comes together!

Now, like everything other project, a wrench has been thrown into the works. A friend is trying to buy an old car up in Lexington, and he asked me to go up and get it for him. This means I have to fabricate a trailer hitch insert with a winch mount, to pull this 6,000 lbs. of American steel up onto a U-Haul car carrier. My new trailer does not have car ramps YET, so that is not an option.

I will post photos of the project as it progresses.

Joe
yoke 1.jpg
yoke 2.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Man you have a lot on the go! Def post some pics of this foot project with the u joints installed. Curious to see it Joe.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I just bought a cut off piece of 4"x4" tubing yesterday. Now I have everything I need to build them, except the energy.

Today, so much to do. I have to mow the lawn. That does not wait for a convenient time. When the rains come in Kentucky, you either MOW or you must pay someone to "Bush Hog" your excessively high grass a week later. It gets too tall for my Ol' John Deere zero turn mower to handle. :lol: That poor thing has about 700 hours on it. It keeps chugging, but it is beginning to show signs of age, or more accurately, a lack of PROPER maintenance by me. You can't mow wet grass, so the weather DICTATES when the mowers will fire up.

I will try to get the Bulldog motor installed today, and that means a trip to Wally World for a deep cycle battery and a box, and a solar charger on the top of the tongue. Once the winding mechanism is motorized, I will put the trailer onto the concrete pad and block the frame so the landing gear can be raised without dropping the tongue. The rest will be easy.

I am thinking of getting a 'mule' to move the trailer around without the need to hitch it to the truck... This one from Lowes is $3,500.00. There are many others out there too, remote controlled, and sporting various load capacities, and VERY, VERY strong!

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Dolly/ ... &position=
MULE.jpg
I sure wish I could find some young, strong teenagers who just want to get involved in these projects for the learning experience ALONE. Today, you can't find a teen who will work for less than $25.00 per hour around here. The American work ethic is DEAD.

I used to wander over to neighbor's homes if they were fixing a boat, or building a hot rod, or whatever, just HOPING they would let me get involved so I could LEARN SOMETHING in the process of helping. NOPE! Not today! Teens want to be PAID to learn, and if the work means putting down their $^%*& phones for eight hours, you get :-o

This is not the America I grew up in.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The Trailer Valet is a NO-GO. :Sad It can only handle a tongue weight of 900 lb.

I bought a Sherline scale (0 - 2000 lb.) and the weight of this trailer at the front edge of the BED is 1,425 lb.
SHERLINE SCALE.jpg
Not to worry. I went in search of a REAL trailer mover and ran across this little gem, made in Canada (Eh!)

https://traxdolly.com/trax-x2/

It can handle my trailer, and it is just awesome! The $5K price stings a little, but I have thrown my back out before. It once produced so much pain that literally crawled to my truck (45 minutes on the ground, wreathing in unimaginable pain) to grab my pistol just to STOP the pain. I could not believe the back could produce THAT much pain. God intervened, and a neighbor just happened to come home for lunch that day, and at that very moment. This was not his normal habit. He drove over to see WHY I was so contorted on the ground in front of my shop and lying next to my truck, and the rest is history. First time for morphine! :wink: THREE 40mg. shots in the ambulance just to stop me from screaming, and one more in the hospital waiting room. I am back to being me, and I just have to be very careful to NEVER repeat that vacation in Hell again.

Anyway, THIS Trax X2 looks like a must have! This will come in so handy, and I can imagine that I could farm it out for other 'work' in situations where someone may need to move a boat, or an RV trailer, or whatever. With some good old Redneck adaptation and a couple of large, rear caster wheels, I am thinking this thing could move small sheds too. :wink: I will call them this afternoon to see about getting one!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Think about this... I could set up an enclosed trailer with some flip up canopies and LED lights for metal art, laser art and whatever. Sometimes they do not let you bring CARS into certain venues because of the gasoline and fumes. So you cannot tow a trailer into certain buildings and places. However, if I set up a vendor trailer... and I can run it in and out of a venue using this 'mule' ... What is the difference between dragging in clunky utility carts loaded down with display racks and tables? No gasoline. no fumes. no noise, and SUPER maneuverable too!

Always thinking .... :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:31 pm This is the conceptual drawing for the leg pods. The idea is to drop a 12" tall block directly beneath the feet, to greatly reduce the hitch / unhitch time.

What are you thought on my designs? The 1-1/2" square tube is telescoping, and the interior tube stretches down against an internal spring (like a pogo stick :wink: ) as the 4"x4" legs push the pod to the ground. Then the les continues to raise the hitch off of the ball. When the truck is moved, the legs are fully retracted. The feet are on pivoting X and Y pins, to allow for stable settling onto uneven ground.

Joe

POD LIFT SYSTEM.jpg

ISO JACK CONCEPT.jpg
Dang! After all of that planning ... I discover that my jack legs already HAVE spring loaded drop-down leg inserts. :lol: I just pull a pin and another internal steel tube drops the foot plate to the ground against spring tension to take up the majority of the space. Then a few cranks of the handle raises the trailer off of the ball. I will still install the Bulldog motor though. Even a few cranks of that handle is more than this old dude wants to do on a repeated basis.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

DieselFumes wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 am Sweet rig Joe, you gotta be stoked about that :Like
I am already getting inquiries about moving things for people... and contractors, etc.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:55 am .....

First time for morphine! :wink: THREE 40mg. shots in the ambulance just to stop me from screaming, and one more in the hospital waiting room. I am back to being me, and I just have to be very careful to NEVER repeat that vacation in Hell again.
When I fell 12' and broke my back (50% compression fracture of L1 vertebrae) in 2019 they didn't give me anything in the ambulance but at the hospital I got some fentanyl and then a few rounds of Dilaudid both at the hospital and on the subsequent helicopter ride. Fun trip - don't ever need to repeat that either so I get that!! I still have some neuropathy troubles but the 5 discs bolted together with rods and screws has my back good as new minus a little range of motion. lol
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

New matching wheels today on both the truck and trailer! I am not the kind of guy who likes to get down on my hands and knees to polish CHROME wheels every week. :-?

"No one EVER gets matching wheels for the truck and trailer!" - Discount Tire Salesman

:mrgreen: - Me

Joe
52814895272_b0e102d3db_c.jpg
52815912753_0e89969508_c.jpg
52815867085_83a89f00f4_c.jpg
52814895317_4ac6b93622_c.jpg

Last edited by Joe Jones on Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:07 am
When I fell 12' and broke my back (50% compression fracture of L1 vertebrae) in 2019 they didn't give me anything in the ambulance but at the hospital I got some fentanyl and then a few rounds of Dilaudid both at the hospital and on the subsequent helicopter ride. Fun trip - don't ever need to repeat that either so I get that!! I still have some neuropathy troubles but the 5 discs bolted together with rods and screws has my back good as new minus a little range of motion. lol
I don't have any hardware installed yet, but they did the spinal column injections of steroids in three places, between the shoulder blades, mid back, and the last one was the size of a Home Depot caulking gun, and it was injected into the tip of my tail bone to run up the spinal column to my neck. Getting old isn't for sissies!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Moving forward, I just received the HD cameras that will be mounted to the trailer, with the wireless monitor in the truck for backing, and lane changes, etc. I can handle towing a trailer, but this thing RECORDS everything that happens around me, so in the event that someone goes for the insurance fraud LOTTO, I will have evidence of what really happened.

I might need to set up a GoFundMe page :lol:

Joe

CAMERAS.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I spent the afternoon beginning to install the Bulldog Power Motor for the landing gear. The installation videos did not apply, because this trailer was custom built, so the landing gear is not in the standard location. The Bulldog motor mechanism has a steel shaft to replace the factory shaft, but it wasn't long enough to reach the landing gear on this trailer. so I had to improvise :mrgreen:

Rather than install the motor on the driver's side to replace the hand crank, I decided to apply a little Redneck engineering and splice the original gear shaft with the new motor. You really CAN put a round peg into a square hole! :lol:

It worked out great! Now the motor, battery and the operating switches, etc. will all be LOCKED inside of the tool box, and with the hand crank removed, it will be difficult to steal the trailer.

Joe
2023-04-16_21-49-35.jpg
52823388334_72ab81a5e4_c.jpg
52822641522_927bb2b5be_c.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You can put a round peg in a square hole, but you can't put a square peg in a round hole.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 am You can put a round peg in a square hole, but you can't put a square peg in a round hole.
:HaHa Fact
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

You certainly can.

You cannot put a square peg of a given width into a hole if the diameter of the hole is the same dimension.

Joe
square peg in round hole.jpg

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

rdj357