Plasmacam update - now help needed urgent....

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Plasmacam update - now help needed urgent....

Post by johno down under »

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction to fix issues.
I received an email telling me that an update would be needed for my machine!
A few days later my machine crashed, i tried for the update, but wasn''t able to down load it.
Finally get it done after some advice from the techy guys.
Then i couldn't initialize the machine, back to the downloads and got it done finally, so i thought.....
Now i have a notice coming up saying... "SHORT CIRCUIT IN POWER TO ONE OR MORE OF THE MOTOR(S) CARRIAGE GANTRY Z
COMMUNICATION ERRORS
(READ MISMATCH)
POSSIBLE NOISE PROBLEM FROM PLASMA CUTTER, PARALLEL PORT OR
CABLE.....!???

Does anyone know what it all means?
I'm pretty well on my own at this point as the company that i purchased from in Melbourne Aust went under during the covid outbreak,
Does anyone know if the is another company that do servicing in Australia.
Thanks for any help/advice with this.
Cheers Johno Down under
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: help needed urgent....

Post by adbuch »

Do you have a copy of the Video Manual? If so, then take a look at the following.
video manual.jpg
If not, then here is the contents of these diagnostic pages.

"If no problem is found and the short circuit error happens infrequently, it may be caused by EMI in your shop rather
than by an actual short circuit."

I expect that Robert will have some additional diagnostic ideas for you when he sees this later this morning.

David
video manual image.jpg
video manual image 1.jpg
video manual image 2.jpg
video manual image 3.jpg
video manual image 4.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: help needed urgent....

Post by rdj357 »

David has provided excellent info here. You have to find the source of the problem and there are some great troubleshooting steps in the manual.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasmacam update - now help needed urgent....

Post by tinspark »

I get that same message when the torch lead coming out of the plasma cutting machine is too close to the signal wire that also comes out of the machine. I try to keep them as far enough apart as possible. Once in a while the signal wire gets too close to the plasma torch lead and it will happen again.
I move my table occasionally to clean and such as I did the other day, and forgot to separate the two, and it gave me the same error message, but has worked flawlessly once I remembered what my problem was...
Hope it helps.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

thanks heaps for all the advice, I have fiddled around with it all day..
I've disconnected, and reconnected all i could..... and separated my torch leads (thanks for that one tinspark) I thought i had it with that one! I had some success after all that.
I could initialize, i could go up and down the bed, i could go right..... then that was it when i tried to go left?, the message come back again.
If i went back through the whole procedure again it would be fine again, go right it was fine, go left back to the same message?
I do appreciate all the comment, i was hoping that it was going to be an easy fix, but maybe not! and as i said there is no back up support here in AUS now the Melbourne shop has closed.
Thanks again guys,
Cheers Johno
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Johno - you need to go thru the diagnostic steps in the Video Manual in a logical order. Simply unplugging/plugging and moving cables around is most likely not going to fix your problem. Have you followed any of the diagnostic steps/procedures in the Video Manual yet?

David
toasterman12
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by toasterman12 »

same happend to me with one of my ganrty moters(crossfire, with plenty of room for upgrades). i hadnt tightend the port on one of my cables and it let out the magic smoke. Check out your connections and make sure to tighten everthing down, drive for 25 miles and check again. the end result was langmuire sent me out a new moter(was cool cause they sent out an upgraded unit).......hope this helps someone someday
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

i did go through the steps as described by you above, but its still the same with slight improvement as in my last post.
I WILL be doing it again tomorrow, i need my machine running
Cheers Johno
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Let us know how you make out. We are here to help.
David
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

adbuch wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:32 am Johno - you need to go thru the diagnostic steps in the Video Manual in a logical order. Simply unplugging/plugging and moving cables around is most likely not going to fix your problem. Have you followed any of the diagnostic steps/procedures in the Video Manual yet?

David
Yep agreed!!
:Like :Like :Like :Like
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

johno down under wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:32 am thanks heaps for all the advice, I have fiddled around with it all day..
I've disconnected, and reconnected all i could..... and separated my torch leads (thanks for that one tinspark) I thought i had it with that one! I had some success after all that.
I could initialize, i could go up and down the bed, i could go right..... then that was it when i tried to go left?, the message come back again.
If i went back through the whole procedure again it would be fine again, go right it was fine, go left back to the same message?
I do appreciate all the comment, i was hoping that it was going to be an easy fix, but maybe not! and as i said there is no back up support here in AUS now the Melbourne shop has closed.
Thanks again guys,
Cheers Johno
Also., separate the serial port wire coming out of the computer to the controller and away from the power cord wire if they are close. some have experienced noise there. I was having problems with that too. Even though I bought the cable and port from PlasmaCam and didn't mind paying up a bit so that I could have peace of mind and eliminate any error on my part for buying the wrong stuff out of my own ignorance at the time. But since I knew that I had the right stuff, I could concentrate on the other possible problems which was a task by itself at the time.

You mention in your initial comment that you are getting the message, "COMMUNICATION ERRORS
POSSIBLE NOISE PROBLEM FROM PLASMA CUTTER, *********PARALLEL PORT********
OR CABLE.....!???", so this could be it also.

Also, some have grounded their computer case to the outside of their controller box and have had similar messages go away.
Maybe try a wire with alligator clips on both ends and attach to a cooling fin on the controller and the other end to teh outside of your case somewhere that looks to be a good metal connecting point that grounds to the case, and see if doesn't solve it..
But this has not been my problem, but I have read in the past that it has helped a few.
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Hypertherm 45XP-
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

guys, i don't know how i can thank you guys for all this information and suggestions.
I'll be back out in the shed this morning going over everything again, and checking, checking, checking.....
Thank you again guys for the help.
Cheers Johno
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

I've been out in the shed for the last 6 hours.....
I have redone all that has been suggested, unplugged and re plugged a few times.
the more i do it the better it seems to be getting.......sort off!
After reading the video manual, and going through the steps again i noticed that the *paused* light stopped working.
So, disconnect and wait 2 min, restart and it's fine again...... for a while,
I could trace a pattern a few times over then the message comes up again, so repeat the disconnect and go again.
Does this indicate anything in particular to anyone???
Almost fixed, but just not quite!!!
cheers Johno
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

To clarify - the pause light only flashes until the machine is initialized and then it only lights up when the machine is actually paused.
Because of the intermittent issue, I assume it is probably plasma dust shorting you out somewhere. Possibly a bad motor winding but you'd have hopefully reported back that doing the swap test narrowed down which axis is giving you the error if so.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

How did you make out with your troubleshooting? Did you get it up and running again?
David
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

unfortunately not!...... I thought that it was ok, but as soon as i started it was back again.
I did manage to find the company that took over from the Australian agent, but (after a strange phone call) i was told i'll pass on your information and we''ll get back to you????
A company called surefire apparently have taken over, but i can not contact them directly.
So, while i wait..... I'm going over it all again, checking my cables, and running new earths.
I'm also trying to find someone that might be able to check any of the electronics/ cables to see if it will point to a certain part so i can start swapping out part.... I think this is going to be very expensive.
My only option will be to pick a part and order it out of the states, and repeat until i fix it or run out of dollars!!
Thanks for asking how i was going.
Cheers Johno
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

johno down under wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:51 pm unfortunately not!...... I thought that it was ok, but as soon as i started it was back again.
I did manage to find the company that took over from the Australian agent, but (after a strange phone call) i was told i'll pass on your information and we''ll get back to you????
A company called surefire apparently have taken over, but i can not contact them directly.
So, while i wait..... I'm going over it all again, checking my cables, and running new earths.
I'm also trying to find someone that might be able to check any of the electronics/ cables to see if it will point to a certain part so i can start swapping out part.... I think this is going to be very expensive.
My only option will be to pick a part and order it out of the states, and repeat until i fix it or run out of dollars!!
Thanks for asking how i was going.
Cheers Johno
Find someone who understands troubleshooting and have them follow the Video Manual diagnostic steps to isolate the problematic component or components. Don't just start replacing parts "willy nilly" as that could end up as a very expensive proposition.

David
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

I finally got a call back from "surefire" and i explained what my problem was, and that said they would get a techi to ring me back!
I did get the second call, but it was from another mob on the other side of the country (perth WA)
He could only suggest what you guys have suggested, from there on i would need to enter into a maintenance contract for 12 months at a cost of $1500 plus our GST tax 10%.
I might be able to get the main parts tested to eliminate the parts that might need to be replaced......
A possibility to solve my problem, but... if a main piece needs to be replaced eg, the controller i have to pay the extra!
Still expensive but it will get me back into business!
Cheers Johno
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

Where in OZ are you located?
im guessing Melb as you said you purchased from Melb

I could help you out but located in QLD
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

I'm in Tasmania.
I purchased in Melbourne from Metal Form Group that were the importers, but they closed up during covid.
So now there is no actual dealer here for plasmacam.
Cheers Johno
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

I guess you have come up at at one of the reasons plasmacam/samson gear is going so cheep here in Oz.
Another reason is the proprietary nature of plasmacam and the big prices for parts

Have you considered keeping the table and plasma source and upgrading the controller?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

34by151 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:57 am
Have you considered keeping the table and plasma source and upgrading the controller?
That could possibly be a viable alternative. However, if Johno does not have the personal ability to refer to the Video Manual to trouble shoot his problem, I doubt he possesses the ability to go the "DIY" route. I have often heard suggestions to convert to another controller, and possibly stepper motors - in fact - I seem to remember on of the members of the PlasmaCAM CNC Tips, Talk, Trade facebook group doing just that.

Hiring someone to convert to a different controller I expect may exceed the cost of simply hiring someone to trouble shoot and repair the existing problem. Not to mention the fact that most any other controller/software setup would (in my opinion) be inferior to the OEM Plasmacam software setup.

So I would encourage Johno to seek out someone local to help him solve his problem. Forget about those mentioned who require service contracts, just find a fellow cnc plasma table owner with some experience at reading and following instructions and have them use the Video Manual to help them to solve his problem.

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Johno,

The USA uses a 60 Hertz power source, usually 110 to 120 volts AC. What do you use "down under?" Are you running 220-240VAC, and at 50 Hertz? There is a little switch on the side of the controller, to select the input voltage, but I am NOT SURE that switch compensates for the 50Hz/60Hz conflict. It may only deal with American 120v/240v - 60 Hz power selection.

What is your current status with the table? I sure wish I was able to hop onto a plane and fly down there to help you with this table. I am sure the problem is something simple that has been overlooked.

One source of troubles for PlasmaCam tables here in America, is when people buy those cheap Chinese LED lights and hang them in their shops, over the table or the PC that runs the table. Those lights SCREAM RF interference that is picked up by the 1980's technology parallel cable, and it scrambles the brains of the controller box.

Make sure you have a good parallel cable, no longer than two meters in length. It MUST be IEEE-1284 compliant, and it would not hurt to wrap it in tome thin lead tape or lead sheathing (usually used for roofing) to completely shield the cable from RF noise. Also, it is best to drive an 8-foot copper rod down into the ground next to your table, and securely ground the table to this rod. People leave the hole in the concrete pad just a bit larger, so they can pour water down the hole to aid in the rod contacting Earth ground by keeping the soil moist.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
johno down under
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

just wanted to say thank you again to all that responded to me with suggestions to fix my problem.......
after a lot of fiddling and testing, it ended up being the carriage motor that had a "flat spot" in the winding's.
It took a long time to actually find someone that could tell me that it was actually faulty, then even longer to find a replacement,
there are no agents here in tassie or on the mainland that had one.
Then the couriers lost it when it got here, not an easy fix.....................
Again thank you for the support.
Johno Down under
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If PlasmaCam would give you an honest answer about how many PlasmaCam DHC2, Samson 510 and GoTorch machines are over there, and they would work with you to become the AUS PlasmaCam Go-To Guy for parts and repairs, it might be worth it. However, I SERIOUSLY doubt that PlasmaCam would ever divulge how many of their machines are over there.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”