CANDCNC on Torchmate Table

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
Stanmyers00
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: CANDCNC on Torchmate Table

Post by Stanmyers00 »

Not of the keyed shafts, but of your pulley and belt setup, I am trying to get ideas for our build.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

I would like to see pics of both keyed shafts and pulley/belt set up.
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

Hmm, maybe this is telling on me.... I mention "new" and "I dont expect trouble", currently it is not installed yet, my new system is moving at a snails pace, partly due to the fact the old one is still going. I can post pictures of my current setup, I think, the new one is similar just more beefy. I have not been able to get thru to a laser shop yet so my new motor mounts etc are only a dxf. But what i do is this, put the shaft in the mill and cut a keyway for a halfmoon key. put the pulley in the press and cut a keway with a broach. install halfmoon key and slide pulley on with 680 loctite.
My new system "borrows" the precision plasma motor-belt-pinion design, I simply made it to fit my application, namely larger pulleys and motors and shafts. My bottom pulley measures around 5", when they came I almost sent them back they looked so huge, But I put them in the mill and milled off a pile of material on the inside to take down the rotating mass, so i think they will be fine. I will try to post pics when i get it going, tho like i said it is going very slow. I run the motors on the bench tuned for my application, at 1400 ipm. I have 1.8 KW of drive power and super high torque motors so I think it will run up there no problem.
Sorry for the rant....
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

cutnweld wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm Hmm, maybe this is telling on me.... I mention "new" and "I dont expect trouble", currently it is not installed yet, my new system is moving at a snails pace, partly due to the fact the old one is still going. I can post pictures of my current setup, I think, the new one is similar just more beefy. I have not been able to get thru to a laser shop yet so my new motor mounts etc are only a dxf. But what i do is this, put the shaft in the mill and cut a keyway for a halfmoon key. put the pulley in the press and cut a keway with a broach. install halfmoon key and slide pulley on with 680 loctite.
My new system "borrows" the precision plasma motor-belt-pinion design, I simply made it to fit my application, namely larger pulleys and motors and shafts. My bottom pulley measures around 5", when they came I almost sent them back they looked so huge, But I put them in the mill and milled off a pile of material on the inside to take down the rotating mass, so i think they will be fine. I will try to post pics when i get it going, tho like i said it is going very slow. I run the motors on the bench tuned for my application, at 1400 ipm. I have 1.8 KW of drive power and super high torque motors so I think it will run up there no problem.
Sorry for the rant....
This sounds very interesting. What diameter motor shafts are you milling to cut the keyway slot? Are you doing this with the shaft in the motor, or disassembling so you have the shaft alone when you machine? Perhaps a photo would explain a lot. Thanks for the information on your project.
David
TJS

Post by TJS »

It is a woodruff key you are describing. What size woodruff key cutter are you using for said motor diameter shafts. I makes more sense now with a woodruff key.
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

I bought clearpath brushless dc servos with the key slot already in. 1/2" diameter shaft regular keyway. The woodruff ones i cut go on the bottom pulley and pinion gear shaft. A key is a key IMO, straight or woodruff. The motor one is 3/16" wide.
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

TJS wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:16 am It is a woodruff key you are describing. What size woodruff key cutter are you using for said motor diameter shafts. I makes more sense now with a woodruff key.
Yes - woodruff key. But I am wondering how he is cutting the slot with the shaft still connected to the motor. I'm sure some photos will clear this up.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cutnweld wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:33 am I bought clearpath brushless dc servos with the key slot already in. 1/2" diameter shaft regular keyway. The woodruff ones i cut go on the bottom pulley and pinion gear shaft. A key is a key IMO, straight or woodruff. The motor one is 3/16" wide.
Thanks! That clears it up. The motors already have the key slot installed into the shaft. So only on the pinion shafts. Would still like to see some photos.
David
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

Yup. the motors i currently am running have did not keyslot. 3/8 shaft, i drilled and put in roll pins. never had it slip in the 6-8 years ive been using it
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
12 Ft Durma Brake

Return to “Torchmate Forum”